Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    One can approach it with a reality comparison. But there's the problem, since too many people in this game have zero concept what reality bears, and how it works..
    But for the approach..
    Let's be generous and compare the task of a raider, with the task of an employee at work. Let's for the sake of it compare the raid leader with a supervisor/dept manager.
    In reailty: When an employee makes mistakes, it's the supervisors/managers job to make the employee aware of it, and to ensure the employee won't repeat the mistake again. And now, much like in the game, there are all kinds of supervisors and managers out there. Some approach their position like a dictator. Bossing everyone around, calling people out for the slightest mistake, or calling them names, and what not.
    Few employees fear them.. Almost all dislike them.. And almost none has any kind of respect for them. In fact, when it would count and matters, and the employee has a chance, he will leave the supervisor/manager stand there alone in the rain of a difficult situation. Why would you help someone, why would you go the extra mile for someone who otherwise treats you like shit with very little respect or any at all for you?
    Modern management handling knows of this. Managers and Supervisors are actually trained (in good companies) to properly interact with the people assigned to them. The most productive people are those who do their job happy. And the most successful and productive departments are those with a leader which is respected and liked by his/her team. And how do you get that respect and "love"? You earn it by treating your people with respect, kindness and skill.
    Now where can that be transported into the game?
    By the fact that after all, raiders are people too. Humans, and with that the simple psychology that applies to IRL matters, also applies to ingame matters.
    From there.. if there's a problem with a players performance, then do some 1 on 1 counseling. Get to the root of the problem with the player in question. Help them to improve, by finding out why they are not up to par and give them pointers and support.
    If you treat them like shit, to the point where they'd get a emotional breakdown, you are crossing a line right there..
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-07-05 at 12:29 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

A friend of mine would lead raids and tended to get...stressed. She would yell and say things she didn't mean in vent simply because of frustration. She would correct people about things they weren't even doing wrong. I raided with her once, and had a panic attack since I kept messing up. My roommate jumped in and took over for me. RL got mad since she wanted me to raid, not my roommate, and acted rude to both of us. I wound up having to rip her a new one later on (after apologizing for myself) for her behavior. She doesn't know it but many times there were people who spoke behind her back. an entire group of people in our guild performed a mass EXODUS to another realm because of the way she treated some of them. She hardly raids anymore, but she still gets stressed sometimes when she does.

The best thing to do with people who can be toxic about raiding is to just cut them out of your schedule, or cut them completely out of your life. Whether it's temporary or permanent, if you are getting stressed with someone and they are being rude to you, you need to distance yourself from them. When the time is right, calmly tell them what they did wrong from your point of view. If they can't understand then, they're not worth having around. Simple as that.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Outside of casually raiding tiers behind, I haven't raided since TBC and Vanilla with any full dedication. That being said, I think I was either sincerely lucky or things have changed since then as there are a few things that would have *never* happened during a guild raid on a progression fight;

Any chatter on vent BESIDES the raid leader and/or the DKP-Loot Master; I've noticed in many of the videos that I've watched as well as the few halfhearted attempts I've made to get back with a serious raiding guild that this doesn't seem to be a sacred thing anymore. People might quiet up during a boss but on trash, vent is clogged with personal garbage and irrelevant info -- a GREAT way to miss something important happening or being said, which also brings me to another point...

Fighting with the raid leader and/or interjecting your leet strat after three wipes on a boss and getting antsy; In two years of dedicated progression raiding, I never ever saw anyone talk over, fight, or back talk the raid leader and strategies were refined and discussed by class leaders / raid leader AFTER a raid if unsuccessful at downing a boss. From my last attempt to join a raiding guild and from the videos I've seen, people like to start undermining the raid leader mid raid because things aren't going well which is NEVER successful.

I guess the point is - I can understand why some of these guys go absolutely berserk. Appropriate? Maybe not. Understandable? Absolutely.

It comes down to respecting and trusting your guildies, frankly. All 39 people in our raids knew our raid leader wasn't a jackass - so he was given the respect of his position and was allowed to lead effectively. A raid leaders job isn't to micro manage how their raiders play their classes, it's to execute a successful raid. So they in turn need to respect and trust their class leads who should be on top of their own tanks or dps or healers when a correction is needed. So when it gets down the totem pole to the raider, for instance myself - who was raiding as a healer, I had to respect and trust my class/heal lead when I'm given constructive criticism.

My trial phase was about 3 months long, and I saw others come and go during this time. If you couldn't listen to directions, couldn't perform your job, handle constructive criticism and apply it, or have a basic level of maturity and character - you either left by yourself or were dismissed politely.

You aren't going to see trial phases that long nowadays (generally) and when you pick up people who are just ilvl appropriate to toss them in a raid and hope they mesh with everyone in your guild - it's most likely not going to end well.

My healing lead on one of the hardcore guilds I was in used to tell us she'd rape our grandmothers and rip our throats out if we messed up a fight...quite possible that someone cried because of that

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    My healing lead on one of the hardcore guilds I was in used to tell us she'd rape our grandmothers and rip our throats out if we messed up a fight...quite possible that someone cried because of that
    Whoa. Taking things a bit far...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    No, this is precisely why I don't raid anymore, I hate the drama. Also because I'm in a guild with some nice people now, but they're really casual.
    Pretty much my sentiments. I got tired of Tyrannical Raid Leaders giving people shit whenever mistakes were made. the fact that it's still a GAME, & people are HUMAN, & prone to MAKING MISTAKES seems to be lost on them. Sure, I don't enjoy LFR as much as I'd like (Too hit-&-miss in terms of player quality-wise) but I'd rather 'lol-raid' at my leisure than show up for 3-4 hours the same days week in week out on progression & get my arse handed to me if I dared not perform my role 100% correctly.

It may be for some, but not for me, & it appears I'm not alone.

The thing is being a raid leader is kind of like being a lead or supervisor at a job. There are good management approaches and bad management approaches, but screaming profanities and/or being rude and insulting to somebody is never the right choice. You can be stern (e.g. "Bob, pay attention to when the fire spawns this time or I'm going to have to replace you; this is the third time you've died to it.") without sounding like a wannabe tough guy (e.g. "Bob you f-ing idiot what the f- are you doing? Stop standing in the f-ing fire you f-ing retard or your ass is f-ing gone! F-ing learn to f-ing play you f-ing moron!"). Naturally the proper way to handle this is after the attempt, not during. Maybe it's just me but if we have a wipe I like having a couple of minutes to recap while everyone is running back in and buffing to go over A) Why we just wiped and B) What we can do to prevent it this time around.

I think a lot of these "if you mess up you get cussed out" raid leaders need to take some kind of management class to learn how to properly manage people.

Today we were derping pretty hard on the bridge weekly mini boss in ToT and wiped to him and knock backs 3 times before we killed it. This was after he told us that if we wipe again we're done raiding for the night. This was also after we 1 shot jin'rohk when we usually take 3-4 attempts so we were feeling pretty confident.

Our RL is awesome though. Very tough love. He'll yell but explain clearly why he's frustrated and yelling. He always follows it up with "I know you can do better than this, that's why I'm so tough on you. I won't let you be bad." Or something to that sort. And when we do kill it, lots of positive re-inforcement. That's what makes a good RL I think.

My old Raid Leader (and IRL Best Friend) has not only made people cry, but caused them to quit the game entirely. On more than one occasion.

He is a great person IRL, but ingame he has zero tolerance for being bad especially when given multiple chances to improve yourself.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by kenshinag View Post
    Today we were derping pretty hard on the bridge weekly mini boss in ToT and wiped to him and knock backs 3 times before we killed it. This was after he told us that if we wipe again we're done raiding for the night. This was also after we 1 shot jin'rohk when we usually take 3-4 attempts so we were feeling pretty confident.

Our RL is awesome though. Very tough love. He'll yell but explain clearly why he's frustrated and yelling. He always follows it up with "I know you can do better than this, that's why I'm so tough on you. I won't let you be bad." Or something to that sort. And when we do kill it, lots of positive re-inforcement. That's what makes a good RL I think.
    I'd blame your raid leader for not pulling the mini boss back toward Jinrokhs room.

You need to have a certain amount of tolerance, you can't just yell and say things. Everyone, for different reasons, can sometimes screw up on something. If you're the type of person who constantly does that kind of thing, something like dying to focus lightning or dying each time to the dancing on Jinrokh, then I'd start getting pretty upset with people.

But anyway, some people really shouldn't be raid leaders in the first place
    Last edited by chocobo606; 2013-07-05 at 03:13 PM.

Deleted
    I find myself getting what could be considered aggresive, but I feel I fall short of "bullying". Anyone who would consider it as such would probably not have the mental resilience for raiding anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Whoa. Taking things a bit far...
    Agree. Sounds like a woman in a leadership role trying to meet the boys on common and equal footing yet missing the mark entirely to the point of coming off crass and offensive to even perhaps the people/gender she intended on impressing in the first place. Yikes!
    Last edited by xMissXx; 2013-07-05 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added forgotten quote

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Maybe it's just me but if we have a wipe I like having a couple of minutes to recap while everyone is running back in and buffing to go over A) Why we just wiped and B) What we can do to prevent it this time around.

I think a lot of these "if you mess up you get cussed out" raid leaders need to take some kind of management class to learn how to properly manage people.

...And what happens when you play Mr. Nice Guy Raid Leader the first, second, or even third time someone makes the same mistake. Are you going to keep that smile on your face when 9 or 24 other people are dealing with the same mechanic and only 1 person keeps messing it up repeatedly causing your group to run back over and over?

I'm not saying a raid leader should be cussing, to each their own, but it should be their raid, and their standards for excellence. If you can't live up to those standards you should be prepared to get talked to.

You don't go to a new job and go through orientation or training, and then mess something up so that everyone else has to clean up your work. You do that enough IRL and you get fired or constantly reprimanded. Don't pretend that just because you're killing internet dragons that the way people feel about standards changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearsyn View Post
    ...And what happens when you play Mr. Nice Guy Raid Leader the first, second, or even third time someone makes the same mistake. Are you going to keep that smile on your face when 9 or 24 other people are dealing with the same mechanic and only 1 person keeps messing it up repeatedly causing your group to run back over and over?

I'm not saying a raid leader should be cussing, to each their own, but it should be their raid, and their standards for excellence. If you can't live up to those standards you should be prepared to get talked to.

You don't go to a new job and go through orientation or training, and then mess something up so that everyone else has to clean up your work. You do that enough IRL and you get fired or constantly reprimanded. Don't pretend that just because you're killing internet dragons that the way people feel about standards changes.
    You can replace someone or tell them to fix what they're doing without turning into a raging loonatic. I find it concerning that people don't realise that, and seem to accept a violent rage as a normal and acceptable means of communication and management.

To use your job analogy, you don't scream at your collegues if they do something wrong, otherwise you'll find yourself on the wrong end of an investigation and find yourself being moved along. I've seen that happen more than once. There's an old phrase about 'two wrongs...'

10+ Year Old Account
    As a raid leader myself, I feel like people make me want to cry more often than the other way around!

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    As a raid leader myself, I feel like people make me want to cry more often than the other way around!
    That seems to be the general sentiment sadly.

The children will be fine - Won't somebody PLEASE think of the RAID LEADER?

10+ Year Old Account
    Raiding is not fun when you have people getting upset because they lost a roll on an item to another guild member.
    My guild in Wrath of the Lich King broke up because someone lost a roll on the axe off Marrowgar.
    People get too involved with the game they treat it like it's a job, and when they lose a promotion (item upgrade) to someone else they get upset.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    Raiding is sooooo fun!!! I just can't for the life of me understand why people would rather LFR...
    Not all raid teams are like that

If the leader was screaming, he's probably a dick and needs to work on that. On the other had, if someone is crying because of something their raid leader said over Vent, they need to work on some issues too.

How does this get 20 pages long? You got a raid leader who went nutso because a normal mode raid group that never raided together were thrown into a heroic raid and after 4 wipes the raid leader lost their mind and upset a bunch of players. The leader must of expected world first heroic raid quality skills from people who never raided together before.

I am still baffled why this thread has gone on so long.