Why do they hype up the board?

I'm talking about the silly animations and interactions with the board. I noticed it being hyped up and talked about quite a bit, is their a marketing scheme involving this or something? Or are they legit excited about them?
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they know that people HATE being stuck waiting and having nothing to do. Just waiting and watching your opponent think and do nothing is probably something they realise will drive people away......unless they give players something to do, ANYTHING to do while that other player is doing his/her turn. So, interactive board. It gives players, at least something to do, however small while still being concentrated on the game. Blizz could easily just have a boring board with nothing to do on it, but that would lead to people simply concentrating on their surroundings, their phone w/e while waiting for their opponent to do anything. Interactive board keeps you looking at the board.

Now, an interactive board probably won't help in the long run, cause people know what the board does and get bored with it, but it's the only thing Blizzard can do to keep people in the game at all times, even while you are waiting for your opponent to do his thing.

They could've integrated a bejeweled in there or something?

It's designed as a simple psychological trick to keep you from alt-tabbing when it's not your turn. Is it being "hyped"? Nah, I don't think so. Mostly they're just proud of their art at this stage. I really doubt that they're going to plaster the clickable flowers over all their marketing material for the launch.

Honestly, to me, I like seeing it. I'm glad that it's there. Because it's emblematic of something that's been pretty core to Blizzard's philosophy over the years: they do things that they don't have to do. Would this game be fine with a simple static background? Sure. Is it better with their board? Yes. Is it worth that little bit of extra effort, for the sake of showing you've taken that bit of extra effort? Yes.

Deleted
    I'm in the boat of not particularly liking it.

I play plenty of MTG, you don't need an interactive board to keep peoples attention, you need a solid game - I honestly think any problems hearthstone might have with failing to keep peoples interest when it's not their turn is entirely due to it's lack of instants, with MTG at least half the time you've got something you can play on the opponents turn.

Not saying HS SHOULD have instants, I'm glad it's differentiating itself from MTG, but I think it's the root of any potential player boredom that occurs when it's not your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    I play plenty of MTG, you don't need an interactive board to keep peoples attention, you need a solid game
    These aren't mutually exclusive.

I play plenty of MTG, you don't need an interactive board to keep peoples attention, you need a solid game - I honestly think any problems hearthstone might have with failing to keep peoples interest when it's not their turn is entirely due to it's lack of instants, with MTG at least half the time you've got something you can play on the opponents turn.

Not saying HS SHOULD have instants, I'm glad it's differentiating itself from MTG, but I think it's the root of any potential player boredom that occurs when it's not your turn.
    100% agreed with everything except I do think HS should have instants.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC69 View Post
    100% agreed with everything except I do think HS should have instants.
    I've not decided either way, I'm a tad worried about it not having them - instants are a source of a lot of "fun" in MTG, one of the most satisfying things is luring the opponent into thinking they're going to accomplish something, when really it's all a cleverly orchestrated plan on your side thanks to a neat instant you've been holding onto.

I think it's far too early to go saying either way yet though, only fair to give the game a chance to prove itself.

I've not decided either way, I'm a tad worried about it not having them - instants are a source of a lot of "fun" in MTG, one of the most satisfying things is luring the opponent into thinking they're going to accomplish something, when really it's all a cleverly orchestrated plan on your side thanks to a neat instant you've been holding onto.

I think it's far too early to go saying either way yet though, only fair to give the game a chance to prove itself.
    Well Blizzard obviously thinks something during your opponents turn is needed. That is why trap cards are there. I assume they didn't want to make the game have to ask your opponent if they want to do something during your turn a bunch of times. Plus there isn't really a turn structure as is, which would be needed to add instants.

I personally would change around everything to allow for instants, but the trap card thing might be cool too.

IF YOU CLICK ON THE WELL YOU CAN HEAR SPLASHING OF WATER, SO AWESOME!
    Like after clicking on the board 1 time it's already dull.
    Hell, even before it was.

The one difference between this and MTG, is that its online. Even MTGO has this problem. Regardless of if you have instants, if your opponent is on a slow connection, is just generally slow or decides to step away from their computer, when you're online you still have to sit for periods of time. In real world MTG, you could always slap them in the face when they were taking too long.

I wish they had maybe a mini game or something. For instance, a lot of the online poker sites prior to being shut down would allow you to play hands of blackjack while waiting for betting to go around the table.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's all about an experience. If the board was static, the game could potentially feel stale.

It reminds me a lot of DVD menus. If a DVD menu is just a static picture no animations, nothing, I get bored by it (granted it's not the menu I'm there for), and it truthfully impacts my "experience", and anticipation.

Same thing with any other game I play on the iPad (I don't really play much like this on my computer). If it's just plain and static, then there is nothing extra about it to like, no extra quirks to enjoy, nothing to subtly like.

It's hard to explain, but if it's too straight and too to the point and static it feels cheap.

That said, the game, to be successful is NOT reliant on the board and it's animations, but the gameplay itself.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    It's all about an experience. If the board was static, the game could potentially feel stale.

It reminds me a lot of DVD menus. If a DVD menu is just a static picture no animations, nothing, I get bored by it (granted it's not the menu I'm there for), and it truthfully impacts my "experience", and anticipation.

Same thing with any other game I play on the iPad (I don't really play much like this on my computer). If it's just plain and static, then there is nothing extra about it to like, no extra quirks to enjoy, nothing to subtly like.

It's hard to explain, but if it's too straight and too to the point and static it feels cheap.

That said, the game, to be successful is NOT reliant on the board and it's animations, but the gameplay itself.
    I think RvB dvd menus were my favorite.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I think RvB dvd menus were my favorite.
    I'm unfamiliar, I'm definitely curious to check it out.

Though thinking back at this, I can NOT stand when the music runs for hours. Running for a little bit is nice, but not forever, at that point it goes from being "nice" to just plain nightmarish.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature