Poll: What was the greatest 5-man Era?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    LK or Cata Heroics for me. I joined mid WotLK so I instantly adore anything from the xpac. I loved cata Heroics at the begining though, I nearly always ran them with my guild so we always had a good group going for them, and I enjoyed the challenge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcinder View Post
    Because this is a poll on HEROIC eras ? Vanilla wow didn't have heroics. Why is this a recurring question in this forum ? Basic reading skill required.
    Nice reading skills you have.

It says 5 man era, doesn't mention anything about it being heroics only. So vanilla should of been included, they had the best 5 mans, TBC second.

They got very lazy with 5 man designs after that, I'm not sure how large of the blame is on the player base for that, as people complain if something isn't easy.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2013-06-28 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcinder View Post
    Because this is a poll on HEROIC eras ? Vanilla wow didn't have heroics. Why is this a recurring question in this forum ? Basic reading skill required.
    That reply really bit you in the ass :P. Lol.

I think in terms of art (including item models) and storyline it's hard to beat the Hour of Twilight. The Icecrown heroics came close (despite recycled gear) and were a bit more satisfying as far as the challenge level was concerned. So I would have to say it's between those two.

Other LK dungeons were just kind of "there" although I did like the atmosphere of most of them. Old Kingdom was annoying though. MoP and early Cata will never get my vote because of what they did to Deadmines and Scarlet Monastery, srsly fuck whoever thought those were worthy replacements. And I would have liked BC if so many of the bosses didn't have completely ridiculous mechanics (second boss of Black Morass, every boss of Old Hillsbrad, Kargath Bladefist & the ogre before him, and bosses 2 and 4 of Shadow Labyrinth especially come to mind here as being completely retarded from a design standpoint).
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I don't want artificial difficulty by achievements
    Then don't bother with them. If someone provided you a choice that you could use a knife to cut yourself would you complain the option is available or would you embrace the possibility of ignoring the option because you don't care about it? If you use LFD most people won't bother with achievements. If they do, tell them to do it with their guildies and friends.

theres plenty of bosses even in curent content where achievements should be how the boss is done and not as some extra.
    Nothing wrong with that.

And let's be fair, the only hard ones you would skip untill you could zerg them.
    Which is why you should do them ASAP after release since your achievement date will prove that you were not able to zerg or lol it.

In fact the only "hard" one in Wotlk was the one in Gun Drak or something with the interupt.
    I don't get why you shove ones like Respect Your Elders away as easy and then claim this one is supposedly hard. This one isn't hard either provided you get people who can interrupt on a low CD and make an interrupt rotation. A shaman can easily do that (especially resto), as well as melees. There were various achievements which were challenging back in the days right after release. Same for Cata and MoP.

None of what you wrote refutes my argument: that by default for LFD the dungeons are fun and doable and if you want a harder difficulty or a challenge there is 1. achievements 2. CMs. I would agree that if you want heroic content there is heroic raiding ie. heroic dungeon lost its meaning.

Where are my classic Scholomance/BRS options? :P

Scholo was a gd nightmare :\ BC 5man before BC 5mans existed.

I put in for BC. Legit challenge, offered decent rewards with gems/rep/chance at epics off final boss/badges. Also, having to do a small group quest for a key to get into Shattered Halls? I miss small flavor stuff like that. Even getting into a heroic had an ounce of a feeling of accomplishment.
    Last edited by fangless; 2013-06-28 at 02:51 PM.

Vanilla is probably not included because there wasn't really that much 5 man content at max level. Scholmance and strat, UBRS/LBRS were all 10 man IIRC. That was changed at some point, though I don't recall when... I, personally, chose BC because even as painful as those dungeons were, they were fun, required patience, and were a real step up in difficulty from their normal versions (setting aside the fact that most of them were accessible at far lower levels in their non-heroic state.) I did NOT like having to form PUG groups from trade chat in Shatt and praying to god the group I assembled (or pugged into) wasn't inept, but when you had a group of friends and you were doing the quests for attunement or farming that 1 elusive rare epic that could drop of whichever boss it was those dungeons were a lot of fun. They had difficult boss mechanics and wiping was a genuine fear! Who remembers Murmur? How about the trash leading up to Murmur and the stupid rogues that could pop up while you were fighting and already difficult trash pull?

I do not pine for the days of BC heroics. I don't have five hours a day to spend on only a handful of dungeons to acquire gear and or badges/valor points. In today's wow, I am 6 years older, and have far more going on in my life than I did back then. But as far as this particular poll is concerned, I felt that the BC dungeons were my favorite. Not now, necessarily, I hated having to tell my DPS warrior friend that she couldn't come to HMGT because she had no CC, but I definitely had some epic experiences back then and those simply can not be replicated in today's 5 man environment... I'm not complaining, I think that what we have now suits me well enough, and I COULD do challenge modes if I chose to, but I simply have not. I see challenge modes as being what the BC version of heroics were. True challenges. I don't always want a true challenge anymore. That's what heroic raiding is to me and that's what challenge modes are.
    Last edited by Kagonos; 2013-06-28 at 05:42 PM. Reason: minor grammar fix
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

tBC dungeons were lots of fun as a tank. They were a bit too grindy though. The initial release tBC tiering was the best thing ever and it boggles the mind how quickly they ditched idea of different 5-mans having different difficulties ON EXPANSION RELEASE.

WotLK dungeons were GREAT in the beginning. It marked the reduction of "tiering" for 5-mans that we had in tBC with how the original 5-mans released differed in difficulty. ToC and ICC were also great and allowed for a very good progression path into raiding. The instances themselves were hardly interesting to me though. Achievements seem to have taken over interesting lore/quests from the tBC era. ICC kind of brought it back though.

Cataclysm had exceptional 5-mans all around especially lorewise and mechanic-wise. I feel like if they'd added better tBC-style tiering with the release set of 5-mans Cata would have been perfect. ZA/ZG and Halls of Origination are probably the best 5 mans I've ever played in this game. Actually Deadmines too.

I'll rate MoP on scenarios instead of dungeons (which honestly themselves are quite lackluster to begin with) and will just flat out say that they suck ass with how there's constant pop ups on where to go and what to do next and where the boss abilities will land.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-06-28 at 06:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

15+ Year Old Account
    Normally I'd say BC heroics because of the difficulty, but in a 5 man I just want to blow shit up. Forming groups for BC heroics was a pain and very boring.

I think Wrath struck a good balance with a dungeon finder tool that was REALM-based instead of entire regions. The dungeons themselves were a bit boring though, I think pre-nerf Cata heroics had it just right.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    LK babies...

Vanilla with Strat and Scholo at level were amazing and ZF at level was insanely fun - stair fight FTW. BC 5 mans were a ton of fun but that's colored by the fact that I had a regular group of friends who included a kick ass pally tank. But Botanica, Arc, Mech were fun as was heroic Shattered Halls. The Auchindon instances... eh. Shadow Lab was fun, but too much trash.

LK heroics were lame and super easy. Some of the design was great, but it was 'pull, tank gets aggro, AOE, pull, tank gets aggo...'. Especially as a rogue, LK was the begining of the end of truly great 5 mans because it became about damage and nothing else. In some of the Vanilla and BC 5 mans you could shine by CCing (sap, Vanish/Cheap Shot, Blind) all of which could make the difference in fights. Grim Batol early in Cata was a partial return to that but poorly done.
    Strath and Scholo weren't 5mans at first, so before trying to act like the superior "veteran", get your facts straight.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

TBC Heroics without a doubt.
    Wiping on Hellfire Blood Furance's Fel guards, holy shit did they hurt.....
    I miss those days so much...
    /shed tear

Strath and Scholo weren't 5mans at first, so before trying to act like the superior "veteran", get your facts straight.
    Lfg Scholo!

INV INV INV!

5man for quest

*silence*
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Deleted
    Nostalgia forces me to say TBC. It was hard and took some time to complete. Would i like it today, no cause i don't have enough time to spend on the game today.
    LK was fun when doing achievements (the first time), otherwise they were to easy. And when LFD come it killed must of the social aspect of it.

But at the same time vanilla 5 mans were awesome aswell, but i didnt do enough of them to say that they were better then BC.

Deleted
    My vote is for WotLK. I love the environment in the dungeons I have so many great memories from them. The ones in BC were a bit too slow and hard for me and I didn't play much in Cata after the initial launch. Mists of Pandaria has some cool dungeons, like Gate of the Setting Sun and Mogu'shan Palace, but I'm getting pretty bored of them and I can still play the ones in Northrend, even after doing them all a hundred times and I still enjoy them.

Love BC heroics (all) and the heroics at the start of Casualclysm. WOTLK was too aoe, though the ICC 5 mans were alright.

Wrath of the Lich King before ToC.

Dungeons were fast but weren't faceroll.

Loken's nova, last boss of Oculus, Herald Volaj... the bosses were fun and their hardmodes were intense. Glory of the Hero is still one of my most proud achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Please... any half decent group AE zerged Grim Batol on release day. Especially if you used the dragons properly (which is implied by half decent group).

Also you seem to be have a very biased memory, and of course as always, people only remember WotLK heroics for what they were in the end of the expansion, not the beginning. The only bad thing about the WotLK heroics was that the bosses health in comparison to players dps was a bit lower. It could have been higher to make longer fights.
    This is sheer misinformation - Well into the xpac you'd still fail GB maybe 25% of the time but always at the last boss when you had an hour+ invested.

Vanilla/BC.
    I <3 JK Rowling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangewayes View Post
    So which do you think was the best time to play 5-mans in WoW? Was was your favorite era?
    Wrath Heroics before 3.1. People that were geared to the teeth from BC keep whining how easy the content was, but in quest greens and blues Oculus, AN, Old Kingdom, HoL, and HoS were fairly challenging. People keep lumping the whole WotLK expansion in with the post 3.3 time and forget that there was a time that OK and OC had people dropping group as soon as they zoned in. They were a big reason the PvE deserter debuff was created.

TBC was the golden age of WoW. It had the best of practically everything: Best raids, best 5 mans, best zones, best pvp.

Its not surprising that the majority have chosen TBC in this poll.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."