Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinthalasKT View Post
    I raided hardcore in Vanilla up until WOTLK. Was casual during Cata due to work, and took a break in MoP.

Work schedule is now stable again and would like to raid hardcore again, yet I am getting blocked by bad RNG in the LFR, and it is taking forever to do grind these 40 reps (exaggeration, I know.)

All guilds expect 520+ ilvl, are they mad?

I am 505 atm, and I am outdpsing people with 520 in heroics/scenarios/LFR, why don't guilds accept me just because of the ilvl, what happened to skill?

i honestly feel like unsubbing, I fill out applications very seriously and am very thorough, just to get literally insulted and laughed at in the comments section of my app by guild officers because of my ilvl.

What has happened to WoW?
    My warlock that I barely play and haven't done LFR on him in 2 months has 508. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    You have to remember that just because you're outdpsing some people with ilvl 520 in heroics/scenarios/LFR, that doesn't mean much. As Apathy mentioned, WoL is the clear, best way to show you belong.
    Indeed, most of the times I for one just don't care to be number 1. I just want to slack, since that's what most are doing in LFR anyway.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    You write a kickass application, thats how you get in to a guild, make them want you.

I raided hardcore in Vanilla up until WOTLK. Was casual during Cata due to work, and took a break in MoP.

Work schedule is now stable again and would like to raid hardcore again, yet I am getting blocked by bad RNG in the LFR, and it is taking forever to do grind these 40 reps (exaggeration, I know.)

I am 505 atm, and I am outdpsing people with 520 in heroics/scenarios/LFR, why don't guilds accept me just because of the ilvl, what happened to skill?

i honestly feel like unsubbing, I fill out applications very seriously and am very thorough, just to get literally insulted and laughed at in the comments section of my app by guild officers because of my ilvl.

It also depends on your class/spec if you get a spot or not. If you are melee most guilds do not stack melee so spots are very limited unless they are a real casual guild which i wouldn't want to join to begin with.

Do you have 522 crafted gear? All of the pieces from Valor? Even low end guilds usually hope to see the effort from a person besides the LFR gear.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Stop whining, if you grind 10-15 hours a week you can easily get to 525 without going into a normal raid. If you won't gear to 520 before bothering actual raiders with your presence then I assume you don't have any interest in trying hard at anything else either.

Make sure you are getting the numbers not by cheesing the system but earning them for real. Having 100% damage on Horridon isn't going to impress people no matter how high it is because that isn't the way the fight is done in anywhere but lfr.

Back in vanilla when only 2% of the players raided, they had a much harder time to get people to join them and guilds worked their ass of to get recruits geared up and skilled up. They were constantly doing old raids to help new players. Today they want the player to contribute and commit to the guild, but they don't want to do jack for the player. Actually a lot of guilds are dieing off because they can't fill spots, and they are blaming LFR instead of looking back and realizing that if they aren't doing anything to earn the dedication and loyalty of their guild members those guild members are just gonna bail as soon as a better guild doing better on progression has a spot open. It is no longer about the the players, everyone is disposable for the sake of progression. I remember when MMORPGs were actually about the people playing them.

Quote Originally Posted by isadorr View Post
    It is LFR, what do you mean do the fights right? You can get general idea on someone but in no way can you get a solid view of a person's Dps in a faceroll instance like LFR.
    Its a quick way to separate out at least 3/4s of the LFR population. Compare persons gear level and performance to what yourself or one of your guild members would perform in such a situation. You can also look at damage taken and depending on the mechanic you can see fails. Sure you wont be able to see a persons performance with more mechanics going on but its better than nothing especially if you need new players and you want to filter out the players who do jack shit in LFR looking for a carry. Just the act of filling out an application and posting a parse puts you miles ahead of the anti-guild brigade that fills the forums. Those pessimistic players show no interest in improving and would rather blame others for their own faults. Not the kind of players that fill the teamwork requirement of raiding.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2013-06-28 at 07:38 AM.

Deleted
    Every raid group thinks casual/lfr raider=bad bad bad
    Good luck anyway, try to post on world of logs, may help

and people wonder why raiding is tapering off in popularity :x Just look at some of these responses :x

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Back in vanilla when only 2% of the players raided, they had a much harder time to get people to join them and guilds worked their ass of to get recruits geared up and skilled up. They were constantly doing old raids to help new players. Today they want the player to contribute and commit to the guild, but they don't want to do jack for the player. Actually a lot of guilds are dieing off because they can't fill spots, and they are blaming LFR instead of looking back and realizing that if they aren't doing anything to earn the dedication and loyalty of their guild members those guild members are just gonna bail as soon as a better guild doing better on progression has a spot open. It is no longer about the the players, everyone is disposable for the sake of progression. I remember when MMORPGs were actually about the people playing them.
    I think we got a winner so if you ever find a guild were it isn't like that: hold dear to the people there and don't let anyone cahnge the attitude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guilds like experience. Put more emphasis on your experience in prior expansions and point out your successes. Dwell more on your history as a hardcore raider. Guilds like reliable people who will put a lot of effort into what they do. They like fast learners.

Gear is rarely the issue. Dragging a slightly undergeared but clever guy through some farm content is super-easy (we did that a couple of times when we recruited experienced players that were lagging behind in regards to gear due to having taken a break or something). Gear is rarely ever the deciding factor - well, at least its ilvl. Gemming and enchanting and showing that you have a clue about it, tends to be more of a problem. So if you're wearing some stuff that is absolute rubbish, point it out. If you've got some odd stuff in your gearing and/or talent selection, point out why. Elaborate.

if you have under 525 ilvl.. you just havent been trying this patch at all, my alt has like 521 ilvl for jesus sake and Ive raided maybe 2 Throne raids with him this patch so far and havent run lfr every week or valor capped every week.
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

Deleted
    we ask raiders to have 480 about you gear up with the guild in the raid

10+ Year Old Account
    What level of guild are you applying to?

If you are applying to a guild with 6 heroics down, they won't want you.

If you apply to a guild with a couple of heroics, they may look at you if you have logs of you doing great dps. If not that, try a guild close to clearing or have cleared ToT.

Just because you beat people in LFR and Scenarios, doesn't mean you would beat them in a raid, when they should be trying their best.

It's easy to find a raid guild, you just have to apply to the right level, no one is going to want to boost a stranger unless they need that class.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2013-06-28 at 11:33 AM.

Deleted
    Are you EU ? Post your character and some logs here

Deleted
    Hey, I can speak from experience when dealing with applications.

The first thing you look at is how the person types, usually you see within 5 seconds if it's worth continueing to read the application.

Second thing I check the armory for the gear and stats, gems and reforges etc. And no we would very very rarely accept someone with your kind of gear, it's way too risky to potentially waste loot on you if you turn out to be not good enough. It has happen on a few occasions though, like when some old "famous" raider wants to come back and then we know for sure that it's worth gearing him up. After that I look at the UI, keybindings, World of Logs and the rest.

Deleted

Sorry to hear about your plight

A couple of points worth mentioning here tho...

This ilvl barrier does appear to be something which has been created in MoP and the logic of it pretty simple. Players now think gear is the only measurement of skill. And thats got alot to do with the current raiding community r mainly 'new-blood' and not many of them are 'old school'. The gearscore phenomena started in Wrath and has become more and more of an obsession basically.

The application thing has always been the same but it sounds like the character of the guilds ur applying to is not so good. Im guessing that raiding guilds these days r inhabited by much younger players than back when u were playing Wow seriously. I say that because older players wouldnt be so spiteful and rude over apps...

I suggest that u ask around your realms community and find out which guild has a more mature attitude, or just find the longer established guilds. because theyre the ones ur less likely to find such bad attitude from the GMs and officers.

In relation to skill, there are plenty of discussions on this very forum on just how much skill is needed to play Wow these days. Personally, id take an experienced skillful player over a high gearscore any day of thw week, but sadly that isnt how the vast majority see the game these days...

You might actually have a much easier time applying to a guild that already cleared HM content (13/13 down).
    This is exactly the time where such guilds are looking for new people, are running raids for alts, applys or even selling PL/run/items. Such guilds need new blood to get ready for the next tier, and have the ability to gear up a good and motivated player really quickly.

You might face much more trouble if you try to apply to a guild doing HM and still progressing. Those guilds are looking for people that can be useful to them now ; and don't want to spend (lose?) some time with catch up mechanics to get a new guy ready for raid.
    If you're trying to enter in a normal mode guild then I don't see any reasonable reasons to refuse someone in 505 gear.

A few things that you can tell this people:
    * Let's run a LFR/Heroic/old raid/alt raid together - you'll see what I'm worth without loosing time. (still worth trying),
    * Here are some logs.
    * Create yourself an account on wowprogress and set your character + description to "looking for guild". That's worth a try too.
    * Don't hesitate to ask for a TS/vent/mumble discussion with guild members, off, gm - that can help A LOT.

To resume it might be really hard to enter a guild progressing HM now.
    Might be much easier entering a casual/friendly guild or a HM (13/13) guild.

It's you OP, not the game. I know at least 2 guilds that would take in a shit geared guy that is reliable and skilled letting him gear up with them. Actually chatting with recruiters instead of filling out applications might also be a good idea for you since you don't have hard evidence of your awesomeness.

Deleted
    Item level isn't just an indication of how lucky you have been with gear, it can show how much effort one is putting into their character. If you are item level 505 at this stage in the patch, there's 3 possbilitys (when looking from a GM point) :

1) He has quit, recently come back, but would he be a liability if he were to quit again.
    2) He isn't putting the effort into his char, running LFR, capping vp each week and optimizing items (crafted stuff) outside of raids.
    3) He has just been unlucky with drops

Point 3 is very, very rare. You can normally get 520 item level by using VP items, and a few upgraded LFR items.