New Build for The Wife - Looking for Input

We're pretty heavy gamers and I want to get her a great PC that will last. I added some stuff like a wireless network card that I know she'll need. Just looking for a critique/other thoughts. No OS needed.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($86.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($169.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($108.00 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Linksys AE3000 802.11a/b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1448.87
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-28 08:43 EDT-0400)
    Last edited by Erous; 2013-06-28 at 12:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Budget:
    Resolution:
    Games played + settings desired:
    Do you do anything other than gaming:
    Specific preferences (e.g. case color) :

Please answer this ^

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 02:50 PM ----------

I can't really critique it without knowing what you do with it and how much you want to spend but I'd first question the 16GB RAM, the need for a GTX770 (do you plan on expanding to SLI for a 3-monitor setup?)

Really need to know budget, resolution, games played, and uses of the computer
    Last edited by Ripox; 2013-06-28 at 10:46 AM.

Deleted
    Build looks good.

I would perhaps change the case to something else. A corsair 300R for example, but cases are mostly personal preference.
    You could also get a lower wattage PSU, 550 is more than enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but how can you tell him it looks good without knowing what he uses it for? :/ If he says he wants 1440p gaming then it might be different. If he says its exclusively 1920x1080 with no plans for SLI / 3 monitors, wouldn't you suggest the Sapphire 7970 which costs $309 after rebate, $90 less than that GTX770 at the same performance? (negligible 2-3% performance difference at 1920x1080)

Not to mention the 16GB RAM there

Some may call into question:
    - the need of a 250GB SSD
    - The optimization (pricewise) of getting a 750GB HDD instead of 1TB HDD, its 250GB difference for so little price change

The motherboard could be changed to an ASUS Z87-A for best price-for-performance option

But I agree with you on the case, I'd go, personally, for something more aesthetically pleasing (imo) like an NZXT Phantom 410 or something sturdier like a Corsair 300R

Also, assuming the case can fit it, an H100i might be a better option than an H80i

For reference, the NZXT Phantom 410 can support an H100i in push/pull which is better than an H80i for not much of a price difference.
    Last edited by Ripox; 2013-06-28 at 11:07 AM.

Deleted
    OP says both his wife and him are great gamers. Im assuming from that hes doing more than just WoW.
    His budget is most likely 1500 dollars, and his build fits that nicely.
    Sure 8 GB is enough, and I was thinking about commenting on it. But I thaught, it doesnt really matter with that budget.

Im not really into the haswell motherboards yet, just that I saw they are priced quite high. But you probably cant go wrong with that motherboard anyway.

Again, Im assuming heavy game --> multiple games. So 128 GB is not enough for all games she will be playing.

The 770 costs the same as a 7970 in Europe, so im working with those prices in mind. If the price difference between the 770 and 7970 is that great in the US, it might be worth getting a 7970 instead.

H80i is good aswell. And will most likely fit better in most cases. Plus we arent sure if she will OC the cpu. So even a simple aircooler might suffice.

Anyway, I was making assumptions on what I see in his post. And for a first look that build looks good in my book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes you are right it is a solid build and although some of those are fair assumptions, when you ASSUME you make an ass out of you and me << lamest, yet very true, thing my Business teacher ever said >.>

Well given prices are in $, the 7970 would indeed be better price for performance here but only if they dont have plans for SLI/3 monitor setup because the 770 really shines there.

I can't imagine you'd have so many favorite games that you want to benefit from SSD speeds that it takes up more than 120GB, tbh

and like I said they can move into a case with superior build quality and airflow, such as the NZXT Phantom 410, which will support H100i in even push/pull which means better cooling than an H80i at even quieter, lower, RPM

It is fair to say that he knows what he's doing by coming up with that build and is coming here for optimization and reassurance, but sometimes thats too far of an assumption and if the OP just confirms the actual budget and uses of the machine, there could be quite a difference. For example, if he says that she won't be OCing than a Z board and Corsair AIO water cooler as well as the unlocked CPU would all be useless.

Deleted
    I know very well the dangers of assuming. But this is a computer forum and nothing that important

For 3 monitors, I would get a 7970. AMD drivers should be better for working with that.

For the SSD, I have a 128GB model, I can have windows on there, WoW, BF3 and its full. So bigger is better. (Granted WoW and BF3 are titles that need quite a lot of space, but its better to buy to big than to find out you dont have enough space)

10+ Year Old Account
    5760x1080 on one card won't perform that great on near-max settings anwyays, SLI/XFIRE is needed for that and at the moment, GTX 770 SLI >> Crossfire 7970 at 5760x1080.

There are still kinks with crossfire that need to be sorted out, and 770 SLI adds 90-95% more performance, that near-double increase isn't as common on crossfire 7970 in many games.

If someone was to say they want an SLI configuration to play at 5760x1080, the best bet is probably SLI 4GB 770s from Gigabyte, but the next step down (which is still great) is probably SLI 2GB MSI TF 770

I'd personally get a case that isn't fugly, like a Fractal Design.

I built a machine for my girlfriend with a Fractal Design Define Mini. You almost never need ATX boards these days. I'd 100% go with a microATX build at most.

Sorry all, you're right, I should've noted the reasoning for the gaming, budget etc.

Okay, we plan on gaming 1920x1080p. I plan for as close to ultra settings as possible in most games...WoW, D3, GW2, etc. We will eventually overclock this rig, so keep that in mind as well. We may get here additional monitors in the future....but that won't be in the original budget

For the SSD, I have a 120GB Intel 520 and unfortunately I think it's a bit too small. I want to ensure we can put all the games, OS, etc. as we play them so she doesn't experience any hiccups or slow loading.

For the video card I've always been a fan of AMD/ATI...however, I'm starting to dig the nvidia lineup and their driver bundle. So, I'd like to keep it there for the time being.

For the budget I want to keep it under $2,000.00 USD.

Edit: The reason for the 750GB HDD is because we use Google Drive storage for most docs, etc. I plan on moving the Windows temp and whatnot to this drive as welll...I guess the 1TB is an option, I'll need to revisit that

Edit 2: I wanted to go with a small case, but was afraid I'd blow the budget out of the water with a mini ATX build. Appreciate any thoughts/ideas on slimming it down

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 08:45 AM ----------

Updated the list based on suggestions
    Last edited by Erous; 2013-06-28 at 12:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends what you call small and you should understand how smaller form factor negatively impacts overclocking potential. Overclocking isn't hard and if you are buying an unlocked processor (k edition), a Z-type motherboard, and a CPU cooler, then you should overclock on day one. its much easier on good boards than it has been before.

Just because your budget is $2,000 doesnt mean you need too spend it all, and it seems you really won't. This is a strong build that will future proof well:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($83.98 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.30 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($54.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($405.91 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1,439.2

I picked the 750w PSU because, due to an offer/combo, it turned out a dollar less expensive than its 650w counterpart.

This is good for a number of reasons, the main one is this: You mentioned potentially adding more monitors, I'm assuming that means potentially moving to a 3-monitor 5760x1080 setup? As such, I picked the MSI 770 instead of the $95 less expensive Sapphire 7970, even though single card performance should be the same. I did this because should you later want to go 3 monitors, SLI is better than Crossfire (atm, anyways) so dual-770 is very very very strong (almost doubles performance) and will outdo dual-7970. With enough headroom in the PSU for SLI and a good SLI-able card such as the 770, you're good to go with this build.

You can and should overclock here. The H100i is particularly easy to install and with that case the push/pull configuration will keep things seriously cool even at decent overclocks

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    This should be a great guide for your wife.

* User was infracted for trolling
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-06-28 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    Depends what you call small and you should understand how smaller form factor negatively impacts overclocking potential. Overclocking isn't hard and if you are buying an unlocked processor (k edition), a Z-type motherboard, and a CPU cooler, then you should overclock on day one. its much easier on good boards than it has been before.
    I picked the 750w PSU because, due to an offer/combo, it turned out a dollar less expensive than its 650w counterpart.

This is good for a number of reasons, the main one is this: You mentioned potentially adding more monitors, I'm assuming that means potentially moving to a 3-monitor 5760x1080 setup? As such, I picked the MSI 770 instead of the $95 less expensive Sapphire 7970, even though single card performance should be the same. I did this because should you later want to go 3 monitors, SLI is better than Crossfire (atm, anyways) so dual-770 is very very very strong (almost doubles performance) and will outdo dual-7970. With enough headroom in the PSU for SLI and a good SLI-able card such as the 770, you're good to go with this build.

You can and should overclock here. The H100i is particularly easy to install and with that case the push/pull configuration will keep things seriously cool even at decent overclocks
    Thanks for the feedback, exactly what I was looking for.