Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Saurfang's beef is really with Garrosh, his appearance or non-appearance in a Nazgrim fight is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    Many of us are eagerly waiting to see if Varok Saurfang will be playing any role in the Siege of Orgrimmar. He promised Garrosh he would kill him if he ever tries to bring the horde back to their old, dark path. Shouldn't it be about time for Saurfang to take responsibility again and live up to his promise? A new batch of sound files were recently released and so far there is no sign of Saurfang. Some files are still missing, including Thrall's and Vol'Jin. The last possibility is that Saurfang is involved in the final fight against Garrosh, or Saurfang appears after he is dead.
    He'll be playing a role. Namely that of a corpse at Garrosh's feet. Hopefully along with Thrall.

Quote Originally Posted by Inay View Post
    Where it was said that Gamon will kill Nazgrim?
    In the Nazgrim PTR audio. He states with his dying breath, he was glad/proud to have been killed by Gamon.

But as you said, Gamon is optional and will need to be pulled into the fight to get that ending.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shuubi View Post
    What importance did Saurfang have in the lore, exactly? Other than being a random NPC that was the bane of alliance made raids to orgimmar in vanilla?

If that's a good criteria for being an important lore character, then that travelling mushroom vendor in Tarren mill should be the main villain in the next expansion.
    Varok Saurfang
    -Drank the Blood of Mannoroth alongside Grom Hellscream
    -Fought in the Siege of Shattrath
    -Participated in the First War
    -Showed a mind for strategy, was picked by Doomhammer (After Killing Blackhand) to be his second in command.
    -Never Lost a battle until the end of the second war (Post Gul'dan's betrayal)
    -Notable Blackrock that went with the "New Horde"
    -Helped Older orcs come to grips with their previous atrocities after the defeat of Mannoroth
    -Served directly under Thrall for a time
    -Led the might of Kalimdor against the Qiraji
    -Assisted leading the Kor'kron in the Horde's Northrend Campaign (Cleaned up most of Garrosh's mistakes)
    -Threatened to kill Garrosh, if he tried to take the Orcs back to the "Old ways"
    -Warned the Player about the consequences of Garrosh's Northrend Victories through a letter in Agmar's Hammer
    -Led the Kor'kron into Icecrown Citadel

Seems like quite a bit to me.

Trust me, theres a lot of characters that we want in the siege. Budget for development time couldn't fit them all in.

Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    Trust me, theres a lot of characters that we want in the siege. Budget for development time couldn't fit them all in.
    But you're not talking about just any character. We're talking about one of the most famous WoW NPCs ever. One directly tied to Garrosh, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Varok Saurfang
    -Showed a mind for strategy, was picked by Doomhammer (After Killing Blackhand) to be his second in command.
    -Helped Older orcs come to grips with their previous atrocities after the defeat of Mannoroth
    -Assisted leading the Kor'kron in the Horde's Northrend Campaign (Cleaned up most of Garrosh's mistakes)
    -Threatened to kill Garrosh, if he tried to take the Orcs back to the "Old ways"
    -Warned the Player about the consequences of Garrosh's Northrend Victories through a letter in Agmar's Hammer

In addition, though it is not an achievement, he is the brother of Broxigar Saurfang, another badass.

Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    OOOOOHHHHHH
    SO busted....

And he probably lost the appearance of Varok in both sides at ICC. Even Varian cast aside his prejudices and allow Him to take Dranosh's body.

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 01:02 AM ----------

Varok Saurfang

Missed the Retake of Undercity, where he had a chat with Thrall.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    So essentially, very little? I don't really see anything here that would make him much more important than Gamon. They were both just random NPC's added in the game in Vanilla, standing in Orgrimmar.

I would understand all this bitching about Gamon if characters like Thrall or Sylvanas were missing from the raid.

Sorry to burst you bubble boys, but Saurfang became a meme after the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj. So he was a developed character before he became a meme. He was the leader of the Kalimdor united armies to stop the qiraji.
    On topic: The only reason why Gamon was a neutral NPC back in the days, was because rogues can't pickpocket a friendly npc and thus he needed to be neutral in order to complete that old rogue quest.

Varok Saurfang
    All of that development came quite late into WoWs lifespan. Prior to wrath he was a meme and was included in wrath as fanservice, just like gamon in SoO.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad1206 View Post
    Sorry to burst you bubble boys, but Saurfang became a meme after the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj. So he was a developed character before he became a meme. He was the leader of the Kalimdor united armies to stop the qiraji.
    There's a difference between getting developed and getting dialogue. When Saurfang said his lines at Qiraj he wasn't getting developed at all, he was just given some bog standard "Orc bad ass" text. Saurfang didn't get any actual character development until wrath.
    Last edited by Rhaktor; 2013-06-29 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaktor View Post
    There's a difference between getting developed and getting dialogue. When Saurfang said his lines at Qiraj he wasn't getting developed at all, he was just given some bog standard "Orc bad ass" text. Saurfang didn't get any actual character development until wrath.
    Let's ignore the memes for BOTH characters for a second.

Saurfang was added to vanilla as HIGH OVERLORD under Thrall. His job was solely protecting the Warchief; basically being head honcho bodyguard. Gamon on the other hand was a weak tauren pirate to be killed for a key. Notice my sig, it's what Saurfang said when you clicked on him in Vanilla.

Come the meme era for Saurfang. Note: He was ALREADY PRETTY DAMN BADASS and Blizzard decided to give him a backstory (albeit outside the game). That backstory set him up perfectly for the events that followed both in patch 1.9 and throughout WotLK.

Gamon, for no real, explained or explainable reason happened to become really strong in Cataclysm. The logical reasoning was that the rogue quest was removed and Blizzard wanted to keep a bit of flavor from previous expansions; come meme era for Gamon: one shot kill him on spawn. They knew he was constantly killed so the logical step was to give players their own medicine. Absolutely NO lore development has been made since Vanilla regarding Gamon until, quite randomly, now.

Now tell me which had more development/which was more important in the lore?
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-06-29 at 09:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I hope Saurfang has a few lines, but since he hasn't been around to threaten Garrosh in Mop or Cata (like almost all other major characters) I don't really CARE if he's around in the raid. As far as Gamon, I find it funny. I don't put a whole lot of thought into Gamon one way or another.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

i see no issues with this. i enjoy the fact hat gamon will be involved in such a way.

But i do hope Saurfang appears as well. Even if he is broken and grieving after the loss of his only son.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Let's ignore the memes for BOTH characters for a second.

Saurfang was added to vanilla as HIGH OVERLORD under Thrall. His job was solely protecting the Warchief; basically being head honcho bodyguard. Gamon on the other hand was a weak tauren pirate to be killed for a key. Notice my sig, it's what Saurfang said when you clicked on him in Vanilla.

Come the meme era for Saurfang. Note: He was ALREADY PRETTY DAMN BADASS and Blizzard decided to give him a backstory (albeit outside the game). That backstory set him up perfectly for the events that followed both in patch 1.9 and throughout WotLK.

Gamon, for no real, explained or explainable reason happened to become really strong in Cataclysm. The logical reasoning was that the rogue quest was removed and Blizzard wanted to keep a bit of flavor from previous expansions; come meme era for Gamon: one shot kill him on spawn. They knew he was constantly killed so the logical step was to give players their own medicine. Absolutely NO lore development has been made since Vanilla regarding Gamon until, quite randomly, now.

Now tell me which had more development/which was more important in the lore?
    I don't think anyone (myself included) would argue that currently Saurfang has more development, my point is that he was a meme just like Gamon the only difference being that Saurfang's meme was "bad ass" in the style of chuck norris. If one character can get fanservice development because of his meme popularity I don't see how anyone who likes that character can argue against it happening again just because they don't like the other character as much.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't another part of Saurfang's memetic badassery spawned from a certain simple server error in the form of Saurfang's cleave being, for lack of a better term, not reduced in damage in relation to the number of people it hit, and a math error lead to him occasionally having dungeon/raid boss effect of being able to cleave raid members regardless of distances, sometimes resulting in stack overflow errors that would crash servers?

Or, in essence, the joke originally being that he could cleave so hard he could end the world? (World server is down.)

If that was the case it makes sense for his reputation to get a hit of Chuck Norris levels of silliness.

Contrast that to Gamon, who made plenty of sense to go from the guy everyone stole from and who got roflstomped purely because he was neutral, to putting in as much off-screen power-leveling as the PCs and now being spoiling for a fight, and itching for vengeance.

...which, if you wanted to look at it a certain way, would make for a hilarious 'hidden stat', the way Hogger kills/deaths are tracked.

Gamon has been gaining stacks of Vengeance since Vanilla. Those stacks have not been falling off.

His quantity is not capped, but his damage is.

Quote Originally Posted by CrankyBastard View Post
    Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't another part of Saurfang's memetic badassery spawned from a certain simple server error in the form of Saurfang's cleave being, for lack of a better term, not reduced in damage in relation to the number of people it hit, and a math error lead to him occasionally having dungeon/raid boss effect of being able to cleave raid members regardless of distances, sometimes resulting in stack overflow errors that would crash servers?
    I thought it was because he was charging at anyone who dared to crit him.

Also, I think that Hogger should become new warchief, because he really needs some development.
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2013-06-29 at 03:15 PM.