Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Not going to lie, I was about ready to slam my face into a solid object pretty hard upon seeing the title of this thread.
    Ditto. It depends on how they implement it and the rewards associated with it though, I suppose.

such threads are the exact reason why people later come out of their holes and state: "Anet has lied to us". It makes me sick. Those people won't read past the title.

I can't wait to see how they'll add raids. I really hope they manage to do it right, and seeing from what they've said about it being different from what we know then I can't wait!

10+ Year Old Account
    I dislike the way everyone is screaming 'RAIDS INC.!' at the moment. We have no idea how close it will be to raids in games like WoW, Rift, SWToR etc.
    We shouldn't even call it 'Raid' when it's going to be so different and with it's open-content GW2-style.

That said, I don't think it will break the game and turn it to a 0815-raiding4gear-treadmill.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I have never played Domain of Anguish in GW1, can someone explain to me what it's all about?
    This is outrageous. I will explain all the same.

DoA was like 5 interlocking elite missions. The way it worked was after you cleared the Nightfall campaign, there was a NPC at Kodash in Vabbi [iirc, not sure], that then takes 8 people to the Gates of Anguish. That is the staging area/outpost. When you are there you get a bunch of quests, those take you from wing to wing of DoA.

Think of it like, clearing the various wings of Naxxaramas or Hammerknell. Though more linear then either of those two.

When you do these missions in hard mode, each area [or wing] has an additional global effect. Like lose HP when you walk, burn energy when you attack, etc. When you defeat the boss of a wing, the effect is lifted for that wing. You have to kill all 4 lesser demons to open the way to the final boss in DoA.

You might be confusing DoA with The Deep- which has Kanaxi [some monsters] that hold like a curse effect over a section of The Deep. It's similar to DoA in that you have to kill the Kanaxi to lift the curses. But DoA is more like going through various mission maps, where The Deep is like one big mission.

Anet might have changed some stuff, because you know, winds of change. But my cares are pretty low on that.

I hope their "raids" are world event bosses revamped/ half instance.

Would be so nice...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Possibly because housing is an amazing feature that can be really awesome? EQ2 has a great housing system and there are a lot of really awesome houses people have. Not to mention there's actually utility in the houses in that you can do things like store secondary specs in mirrors in your house.

Rift is another game with insane housing features. Not quite as much utility (though there are target dummies you can put in your house), but there have been a ton of awesome houses in the game.

I'm all for more non-combat features in MMO's. It's nice to take a break from going around and killing things with every new content/feature patch.
    having training dummies in your house doesnt seem worth the time.. especially if your not one of those people who spend all day attacking a dummy like in WoW

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 06:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Possibly because housing is an amazing feature that can be really awesome? EQ2 has a great housing system and there are a lot of really awesome houses people have. Not to mention there's actually utility in the houses in that you can do things like store secondary specs in mirrors in your house.

Rift is another game with insane housing features. Not quite as much utility (though there are target dummies you can put in your house), but there have been a ton of awesome houses in the game.

I'm all for more non-combat features in MMO's. It's nice to take a break from going around and killing things with every new content/feature patch.
    most games with housing just make it instanced and having to get there via some stupid portal or w.e only archeage (that i know of) has actual in world housing but then you need to watch out for players that want to take your supplies or w.e

and if you need to take a break from the killing things.. just watch some tv or w.e what would you honestly do in a player house

housing provides a sense of ownership in a game

it also provides a bit of a break from the combat sims that most mmorpgs are. It can also lead into other avenues of the economy for crafters. One of my favorite things about EQ2 when I played was their housing and I would make a bit of money crafting things for the housing market.

it's a different way of playing the game and it certainly doesn't hurt. If you don't like it you can always just ignore it.

Housing is a huge MMO activity with lots of player times invested. I played a bit of EQ2 myself and played with the housing a bit. They really have some neat system over there. I know players who log on just to decorate their house and I know players who are professional decorators that decorate other player's houses for ingame currency.

It does take alot of development but I think it usually pays it off in the end. You can sell house items in the gemstore etc to make extra profits.

Anyways, this is a bit offtopic from the raid discussion. As for the raid, I know Chris Whiteside from Arenanet said the same thing as this article about a week or two ago while talking to players ingame.

I just hope housing is more meaningful then a bunch of decorations. Rift housing currently is like this. It needs activity s to do. If anyone has played runescape, the housing in that game is amazing fun. (dojos, dungeons, build your own mobs to fight, throw partys) .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dulfy View Post
    Housing is a huge MMO activity with lots of player times invested. I played a bit of EQ2 myself and played with the housing a bit. They really have some neat system over there. I know players who log on just to decorate their house and I know players who are professional decorators that decorate other player's houses for ingame currency.

It does take alot of development but I think it usually pays it off in the end. You can sell house items in the gemstore etc to make extra profits.

Anyways, this is a bit offtopic from the raid discussion. As for the raid, I know Chris Whiteside from Arenanet said the same thing as this article about a week or two ago while talking to players ingame.
    Oh no! I will complain if you start doing housing activities! where will our guides will be oh friendly savior, the light for the blind!

Okay... now let's be honest, as long as they do the housing system well I'm 100% fine with it, I just hope it's not a blatant gem sink for the sake of it, other than that maybe a simple interface just like eden eternal used, was fairly basic but i loved it, on the other side... rift felt a bit complicated and it made me feel kinda confused and uninterested, maybe I'll learn about it later on

Excited to see guild housing return to Guild Wars. Interested to see how their "raids" play out.

The first 2 MMOs I played when I was a kid about 10-13 years ago had housing, Asherons Call and DAoC. Ever since then I haven't played another MMO with housing, except Rift but I don't play that anymore.

I'm eager to see what they plan on doing with the raids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The way it worked was after you cleared the Nightfall campaign, there was a NPC at Kodash in Vabbi [iirc, not sure], that then takes 8 people to the Gates of Anguish.
    Pretty sure you gain access by /kneel at the statue of Kormir in Chantry of Secrets.

thanks Fencers!!

It's odd, this sounds like what you described has quite a few parallels to GW2's Orr. Those statues with environmental effects etc. Maybe Anet tried to make this as an elite area but as you can come in anytime instead of being instanced, it's become quite different. Imagine Orr instanced, where you have to do all godtemples in order to unlock the final dungeon... would sound like DoA to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks Fencers!!

It's odd, this sounds like what you described has quite a few parallels to GW2's Orr. Those statues with environmental effects etc. Maybe Anet tried to make this as an elite area but as you can come in anytime instead of being instanced, it's become quite different. Imagine Orr instanced, where you have to do all godtemples in order to unlock the final dungeon... would sound like DoA to me.
    Actually that was what i thought when hearing about orr in the first place, events that leaded into bigger dungeons and amazing stuff :C

I think raiding will be beyond terrible in this game without holy trinity, the boss ping ponging around the room with 20+ players running around with aggro, horrible just horrible lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    I think raiding will be beyond terrible in this game without holy trinity, the boss ping ponging around the room with 20+ players running around with aggro, horrible just horrible lol
    because it will be designed the same as in wow am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Actually that was what i thought when hearing about orr in the first place, events that leaded into bigger dungeons and amazing stuff :C
    One of the issues with GW2 big events is the large number of players that can do them. If they had an "elite" area that was smaller, and had a cap of like, 20 players or whatever, it'd be more personal.

It's odd, this sounds like what you described has quite a few parallels to GW2's Orr.
    If you go back to the time of Orr first being discussed a lot of GW1 vets assumed from the dev live chat on the subject that Orr was similar to The Deep/DoA. There were many posts drawing the parallel.