Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

I don't think ill ever be a real raider

It's not the skill, its not the times, its my mindset and motivations. Please don't flame me but the only reason I want to raid is to get gear. That's just the truth. I know that mindset is toxic but I can't change it, I can fake I care about the challenge but at the end of the day its about gear. If a raid team were to take me in and say "btw you won't be getting gear" I would leave. Im trying to get away from that but I just can't.

But why is it so bad just to raid for the gear? Even if you show up pew pew, or heal heal, or tank and do good. Am I the only one who wants to raid just for the gear?

10+ Year Old Account
    Been playing WoW since 2007. Only done a handful of raids. I've enjoyed my time and gotten good gear. The majority of players aren't "real raiders".

You say that, but I've known a fair few people who raided a lot and only for gear. I personally don't think it's the right attitude for raiding, but a lot of raiders think that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

We've kicked many people with such an attitude out of our guild. They end up causing problems all the time and it's just not worth it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    i raided for the gear and the status of being better then most...guild died nov 30th wow got boreing after that....only thing fun was playing my 80 mage and dunking on peoples dps lol

note: i did raid for the gear to ahve the best but i also didnt whore out on it i knew my guild was good enough to get shit done if i didnt win it this week theres next week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

I believe the reason to raid is to experience the content, have fun with mechanics, and gain social status. It is a sense of richness and security that feeds the basic human desires. Gear only fulfills some of that. In my opinion, this is precisely the reason why 'elitists' like me become so disdain toward every decision by blizzard that has dumbed down content and made it more accessible or less social. Example: LFR, easy 'heroic' dungeons, mandatory dailies, and loot pinata bosses. Gear should have a rare birthday present feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogmanlolz View Post
    It's not the skill, its not the times, its my mindset and motivations. Please don't flame me but the only reason I want to raid is to get gear. That's just the truth. I know that mindset is toxic but I can't change it, I can fake I care about the challenge but at the end of the day its about gear. If a raid team were to take me in and say "btw you won't be getting gear" I would leave. Im trying to get away from that but I just can't.

But why is it so bad just to raid for the gear? Even if you show up pew pew, or heal heal, or tank and do good. Am I the only one who wants to raid just for the gear?
    Here's some advice:

Sure theres good to come from raiding, you get to progress your character and get loot ect.. but heres what your not told. Your expected to raid at X time on X days, if you don't show up your punished. What this does to you is turns your life around, you will start to plan your activities around WoW and become a social introvert, often missing social events with friends so that you can increase your iLVL on a virtual game that will have no real life benefit. I lived this life for 3 expansions have since retired and can safely say, I doubt ill ever return to such a system as it destroys your life.

OP you have the opposite attitude I do. I raid to see the story, well I did anyway. Killing bosses again on a harder difficulty never really mattered to me. So I know where you're coming from. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with your attitude per say. But if you have to be sensible about it. You may want a certain piece that drops during your run but you lose the roll/not enough dkp/etc. You can't just rage quit. Raiding is being part of a team and sometimes you have to just suck it up for the good of the team. At least thats how I view it.
    It has been scientifically confirmed that if Eiffel was green; he would in fact die.

15+ Year Old Account
    I raided since vanilla MC and was always after the gear, well not so much the gear, more the looks of the gear. I saved all my DKP to get the tier3 shoulders because they looked awesome, always passed bracers , rings etc because they were boring and I didn't "see" them. That kind of went away after TBC when the design went from amazing to freaking terrible though. I don't think I would've raided when there wouldn't be a chance for me to get any gear (as in bosses not dropping loot), the challenge and gear complement each other and both are needed imo.

Tried to tell myself I don't raid for the gear, but after passing all loot for a month in ToT(was not sure I was gonna continue raiding and I'm not taking loot from guild then) it became boring quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't always a problem, but one concern is that a gear focused person might stop showing late in tiers when they are almost fully decked out, and another is that a gear focused person might be more prone to loot drama. It is entirely possible for it to all be about the gear and for that person to not have either of the above problems...so there is nothing inherently wrong.

One other issue I could see is that raid nights might be much less fun for such a person when they aren't lucky enough to win, but again that could be offset by the thrill this person might get when they do win.

Personally, I am happy I enjoy raiding for raiding sake...but my bag doesn't need fit all.
    "Brevity is...wit"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Speaker View Post
    OP you have the opposite attitude I do. I raid to see the story, well I did anyway. Killing bosses again on a harder difficulty never really mattered to me. So I know where you're coming from.
    Yeah same here, that was the main reason I went casual right after killing normal25 Yogg-Saron in Ulduar. But I need some sort of reward as well, I'm just as happy to get loot on alts in LFR as I am getting normal loot on my priest now so I guess the raiding 'bracket' matters, but I'm not aking for heroic loot or progression at all. (LFR being a bit too dumbed down for my taste though, w t h).

10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing wrong with raiding for the gear. When someone throws a tantrum over someone else getting loot is when it becomes a problem.

I'll never be a real raider because I plain don't want to deal with the politics of it. I like LFR not only because it's an easier mode that still rewards epic lewtz and is more friendly mechanic-wise for a high-latency connection(Satmodem in a rural area), but because all I have to do is push a button and wait to join up. I like raids for the content the first few times I do them. After that all I want is my hamster food(loot, gold, VP)to keep me in the treadmill.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    There's nothing wrong with raiding for the gear. When someone throws a tantrum over someone else getting loot is when it becomes a problem.
    pretty much this.
    Nothing wrong with wanting to do an activity only for the reward after completeing said activity
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Deleted
    That probably describes >75% of the raiding population so I'd say you're in good company.

I think it's always a mixture of getting gear and killing the next boss. I wouldn't mind if my gear is just Ok for the next bosses and we wouldn't clear the instance though I would need some items dropping from bosses we don't kill this ID.

10+ Year Old Account

If you're the kinda of person that leaves once they have their gear then yeah, that is bad. Though you claiming you can't change your mindset is total bullshit, because you can. I've raided with several people who were in it for solely the gear, and after they got gear they screwed the guild by just not showing up. If you're raiding for just the gear I suggest you quit WoW and find games that are more suited to your attitude, because that isn't the point of multiplayer games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Oncereborn View Post
    Here's some advice:

Sure theres good to come from raiding, you get to progress your character and get loot ect.. but heres what your not told. Your expected to raid at X time on X days, if you don't show up your punished. What this does to you is turns your life around, you will start to plan your activities around WoW and become a social introvert, often missing social events with friends so that you can increase your iLVL on a virtual game that will have no real life benefit. I lived this life for 3 expansions have since retired and can safely say, I doubt ill ever return to such a system as it destroys your life.
    Perhaps in people who are fairly young having the game take over might be a risk, but that's what parents are for. Outside of that, what you've just written is a load of crap.

For one thing, being an introvert isn't inherently bad, stop using it as a derogatory term.
    Also, people you meet in the game are also people. shocker right. And they've automatically got something in common with you, they are also gamers. It's no coincidence that people meet a lot of new friends in WoW. Besides, I've met most of my guild IRL during our several meetups, and it's a great time, i'm not missing out on "social events" for a virtual game, i might miss a party here and there FOR a social event, that being raids and similar guild events.

Well that was offtopic -.-'

For the OP, you may just not have found a guild you've really hit it off with yet, when you play with friends with a voice coms like TS, instead of random people competing for your loot that you don't really talk to, you might enjoy the process a little more.

In the end tho if you just want loot, that's fine, as long as you don't tend to create drama when inevitably someone else got a piece you really wanted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    ^

There's nothing wrong with caring about loot. You just need to understand that the others care for it as well and major upgrades on other people are far, far more important than small upgrades on you. It will drop again.
    Empathy in wow? Almost non existent in my experience unless among close friends/allys. (and is that even real?)

15+ Year Old Account
    Imho it comes down to the guild. If you have slow progress you will have less loot and therefore a loot drama pretty soon with people who have that attitude. If you are fast progressing on the other hand and you can expect a full clear every week there will be plenty of loot for everyone to get satisfied/keep the progress.