Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Removal of Arena Teams, Thoughts?

Arena teams are now gone from the UI, allowing you to group with whoever you want, similar to the rated battleground system. This will also come with region wide matchmaking, allowing you to be matched with anyone in your region, not just your battlegroup. There will be a blog post that fully explains the changes on Monday.

What is your opinion on this?

I always wanted the option to join more then one team but this doesn't seem to fix that, you can in fact play with whoever you want now.

But you still have a rating across all teams, so I can't go and play with my 1600 IRL friends with 2100 CR, because assuming it works like teams, a loss would be huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    The universe has so many galaxies that even the fucking plot to star wars has a statistical chance to have existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Ghostcrawler called me up last night and he was all like, "hi." And I was like "I'm...

You can't have the cake and eat it, be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Teams are gone? Noooo, I always liked making funny team names and logos .

So I just pick up 1/2/4 people and queue for an arena and that's it?

So ratings will be character dependent but separate by bracket, correct?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Teams are gone? Noooo, I always liked making funny team names and logos .

So I just pick up 1/2/4 people and queue for an arena and that's it?

So ratings will be character dependent but separate by bracket, correct?

From what I understand you are correct..

And damn didn't even think about arena names! Noo!
    The universe has so many galaxies that even the fucking plot to star wars has a statistical chance to have existed.
    Ghostcrawler called me up last night and he was all like, "hi." And I was like "I'm...

stupidest change, as always they have the right idea but fail miserably. for 13 seasons arena teams have worked great and now all of a sudden they don't. not having teams won't make people pickup/do arenas and if you want any kind of title you will still only play with certain people because of MMR.

Looking forward to a retarded blog post explaining why they are trying it.

Russians have been exploiting RBGs since they were announced, same thing will happen now. You thought Glad titles mean nothing last 2 seasons? Just wait for this to go live.

What people don't get is that blizzard has had an immense amount of time to fix RBGs, yet they never did. Do you really expect the removal of teams will be a good thing, if they can't sort that out with so much time?
    Last edited by klaps_05; 2013-06-29 at 04:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a step in the right direction. Probably the best arena change implemented in this game.

stupidest change, as always they have the right idea but fail miserably.
    It's a step in the right direction. Probably the best arena change implemented in this game.
    So much fun reading comments whenever relevant changes come up.

This change is fucking amazing. I hated being stuck on a team. This is a way better change, I can play with whoever I want and not fear losing all of my rating.

stupidest change, as always they have the right idea but fail miserably. for 13 seasons arena teams have worked great and now all of a sudden they don't.
    How have arena teams been working great for the last 13 seasons? The entire time, you've been limited with who you can play with by server and team rating. Now, this opens up both of those things and allows you to play with anyone regardless of their server or team rating.

And before you try to explain how team ratings are great, here's what I mean by team rating: you are on a team with 2k. It has a limited number of slots, and if you invite others to play on it, you risk changing the rating for better/worse in a way that leaves your other teammates behind. So naturally, team rating prevents players from being able to play with each other unless they are willing to exclude everyone else (regardless of whether or not anyone else can contribute and push rating).

In 5.4, if you have 2k, you can grab someone other than your teammates and continue to push rating without affecting what you've done with your 'team.'

I would prefer the starcraft way that just remembers the rating I had, when I played with that guy last.
    But I guess its a step into the right direction.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

10+ Year Old Account
    nice change , too bad arena is still boring... face any combination of feral hunter mage shaman dps and you spend more time in prep room+que than in actual fight...

Awesome change, I'm actually a bit weird and enjoyed being stuck in the same teams sometime. Felt like by the end of the season you really mastered the comp.

But overall, good changes. Really looking forward to next patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    Awesome change, I'm actually a bit weird and enjoyed being stuck in the same teams sometime. Felt like by the end of the season you really mastered the comp.

But overall, good changes. Really looking forward to next patch.
    That's how I feel about it, but still a good change. I wanna see how it works out.

So if this will work as RBG i guess we will see some russians with 3500+ rating next season

Well, guess it's time to find a better excuse than "I'm already in a team" when randoms ask you for arenas.

Can someone explain to me what is "exciting" about this change? Because I fail to see it...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithfir View Post
    Can someone explain to me what is "exciting" about this change? Because I fail to see it...
    It's not about being exciting I think.

I think the main reason is so you can have teams in Virtual Realms (with people from other servers)...

The second reason, I'm guessing, is so you don't get stuck with a specific team and are afraid to leave and lose all those recorded games... Or, like some people do, disband and reform the team to clear bad game records.

This is going to severely limit even more so of who you play with, I know personally im not gunna just wanna play Arenas for LOLZ anymore with friends because its going to affect my serious rating that I want to push. You're not gunna be able to play with some random trade chat players because of this new personal rating. and the friends I have cross realm are very casual but I enjoy playing hameswith him and now that cross realms arena are open but its going to affect my season rating I wont be able to play with him. 0/10 not impressed.

Well they're almost to the point I want things, then. When I can solo queue, I'll start doing arena again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfir View Post
    biggest limitation to arena right now is the fact that you can't play with other people from other servers. Different reasons why you would want to do that, one of them is playing with friends, another one is not being able to find good partners on your server. Another problem that might occur, if someone leaves your team and you have to invite a new person. This person is only 1000 rating while you are maybe 2000 rating, this affects the MMR of people you play if I'm not mistaken