Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Suggested World PVP Improvement

Hi guys,

I have been playing WOW since 6 years with short / longer breaks (recently with account being frozen, waiting for 5.4).
    I had this idea since couple years of know, thought it could massively improve World PVP (what i do belive is one of the most amazing elements of WOW or any otherm MMOS, hence Warhammer AOR)

Basing on all responses so far:

0) killing faction bosses should be made meaningfull and much more rewarding
    a) the idea is to build some nice mechanism around faction bosses = 'siege', something that could greatly improve attractiveness of WPvP
    b) it assumes, that both virtual realm + cross realm zones can be used
    c) there can LFS (Looking for Siege) mechanism that would build Virtual Realm groups
    d) Virtual Realm wide notification system should be implemented
    e) Most likely daily siege quest should be provided (1 siege per day with faction bosses random rotation) with massive rewards like 200 CP / VP per quest,
    with boss himself dropping 2 PVP + 2 PVE current epic pieces per all siege members
    f) during siege there should be 2 CP rewards per killed enemy faction player
    g) defense also should be rewarded

I think it could greatly encouraged spontaneous and natural sieges thats should have always been a vital part of WOW, but for some odd reason had only been in rare moments of WoW history.

To make it profitable for both factions, even successfull defense could be rewarded with certain amounts of Conquets/ Valor etc.

I think its very basic and at the same time very massive and good improvement to World PVP.
    Last edited by mmoc1cf46d3add; 2013-07-01 at 12:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sabnok View Post
    Hi guys,

I have been playing WOW since 6 years with short / longer breaks (recently with account being frozen, waiting for 5.4).
    I had this idea since couple years of know, thought it could massively improve World PVP (what i do belive is one of the most amazing elements of WOW or any otherm MMOS, hence Warhammer AOR)

- i think killing faction bosses should be made meaningfull and much more rewarding , so lets sat they will drop like 200 CP + 200 VP + 2 Epic piece of current tier (with classical loot mechanism, like the one in WOTLK Dragon Soul LFR) per boss.

I think it could greatly encouraged spontaneous and natural sieges thats should have always been a vital part of WOW, but for some odd reason had only been in rare moments of WoW history.

To make it profitable for both factions, even successfull defense could be rewarded with certain amounts of Conquets/ Valor etc.

I think its very basic and at the same time very massive and good improvement to World PVP.
    Only if servers were balanced, on unbalanced servers it's free loot for one faction and nothing for the other.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Only if servers were balanced, on unbalanced servers it's free loot for one faction and nothing for the other.

In next patch the servers might be more balanced.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Yes, as apepi is saying - i was thinking about making a good use of thins such as cross-realm zones or incoming virtual servers.

I think the idea as a whole is like a self-powering 'perpetum mobile', giving our hands busy without much work from Blizzard (well, maybe not at the beggining but after some time).

10+ Year Old Account
    i think killing faction bosses should be made meaningfull and much more rewarding , so lets sat they will drop like 200 CP + 200 VP + 2 Epic piece of current tier (with classical loot mechanism, like the one in WOTLK Dragon Soul LFR) per boss.
    ...except that that is PvE.

You want to turn Velen/Lor'themar into Nalak?

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 12:03 PM ----------

I can think of much better ways to help improve World PvP, but I would probably spend all day composing something suitable.

To get started though, we need more reasons to be out of cities, and not on flying mounts.

The best sites of World PvP since flying was introduced were:

Isle of Quel'danas
    Tol Barad Peninsula
    Molten Front
    Isle of Thunder

Things they all have in common- No Flying
    Last edited by Krixooks; 2013-06-29 at 01:07 AM.

Deleted
    Krixooks - you are right about PVP/PVE servers distinction, but still i am talking about some sort of a PVE/PVP mix for a bigger, specifically - sieges of faction bosses.

Regarding locations mentioned, i cannot agree - PVP on most of them is mainly about backstabbing people doing quests. And to begin with, i am talking about epic scale organized PVP, not about small like those on ToT.
    Tol Barad was ok (but a bit artificial), bosses inside it were even more artifical and could be in fact easily replaced by faction bosses.

In terms of No flying argument, i see no problem here - flying does not collide with my suggestion, or with more organized epic scale PVP battles in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Krixooks - you are right about PVP/PVE servers distinction, but still i am talking about some sort of a PVE/PVP mix for a bigger, specifically - sieges of faction bosses.

Regarding locations mentioned, i cannot agree - PVP on most of them is mainly about backstabbing people doing quests. And to begin with, i am talking about epic scale organized PVP, not about small like those on ToT.
    Tol Barad was ok (but a bit artificial), bosses inside it were even more artifical and could be in fact easily replaced by faction bosses.

In terms of No flying argument, i see no problem here - flying does not collide with my suggestion, or with more organized epic scale PVP battles in general.
    Ok let me point out a few things about Faction Bosses

Players only congregate in Orgrimmar and Stormwind, the other cities are largely empty providing no PvP.
    Defending a boss does not grant any reward whatsoever except a few honour points.
    Defending a boss is extremely hard, have you tried to wipe a Sha of Anger or Nalak group before? I have.
    There is not really any "siege" to speak of.

This is how a 40 man group would attack Baine Bloodhoof for example:
    1. summon/port 40 people to Theramore
    2. everyone flies up in the sky above the boss
    3. everyone lands, kills him, and ports out
    (flying really is a problem)

---------- Post added 2013-06-30 at 02:33 PM ----------

If you have participated in World PvP in zones such as Tol Barad Peninsula and Isle of Thunder, you would know that you have to start out by ganking. That's basic, how else will you start a fight, how else will you MAKE someone want to kill you.

Fights start small, but escalate as more guildies/friends/bystanders are drawn in, and sometimes you can have a large battle on your hands.

15+ Year Old Account
    My idea is to have kind of sub pvp zones, say Ashenvale would have a wsg kind of map. And everyone would be all leveled down and have the same stats. Then it would be on equal footing for everyone and it would not cause ganking*in that area) And would introduce pvp to new people, which needs to happen. If anything this game is bad at, it is introducing new people to pvp.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    People exaggerate ganking so much it's unbelievable, camping is so infrequent and so easily solved.

I'll tell you something Blizzard did that deters new players from PvP, esp. World PvP-
    if you attack an enemy town, or an enemy player near an enemy town, level 90 guards spawn.
    The association new players develop is that when you attack a town you get 1-shot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krixooks View Post
    People exaggerate ganking so much it's unbelievable, camping is so infrequent and so easily solved.

I'll tell you something Blizzard did that deters new players from PvP, esp. World PvP-
    if you attack an enemy town, or an enemy player near an enemy town, level 90 guards spawn.
    The association new players develop is that when you attack a town you get 1-shot.
    They should make it spawn guards that are 3 levels more then your current level. Could help that.

Imo, they have pretty much killed any change at world PvP with the ilevel on PvP gear being Far below PvE gear. Most Hardcore pvpers will be PvP geared. Thus in world PvP they will be at a distinct disadvantage. They would just stick with regular PvP rated content unless they had a good set of PvP gear. This is all my opinion of course and why I personally have given up on World PvP. It would be dominated by the PvE / raiders. Not the people who care most about PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Imo, they have pretty much killed any change at world PvP with the ilevel on PvP gear being Far below PvE gear. Most Hardcore pvpers will be PvP geared. Thus in world PvP they will be at a distinct disadvantage. They would just stick with regular PvP rated content unless they had a good set of PvP gear. This is all my opinion of course and why I personally have given up on World PvP. It would be dominated by the PvE / raiders. Not the people who care most about PvP.
    it's true sadly.
    but luckily most raiders you encounter don't know how to actually fight.

I have been 2shot by a full heroic geared enhance shammy though, that was unpleasant.

How about a weekly siege against one of the opposition's large cities? Full scale siege, think Wintergrasp, but with a new city you would have to defend or conquer each week. It would be a large battle on a timer (2 hours, give or take) and there should be both PvP and PvE rewards.

There should be different quests, like in Wintergrasp. Killing the present faction leader should be one of them, but sacking the AH, bank, flightmaster etc should be included.

Virtuel realms should make this possible. Also, BG/Arena gear scaling should be enforced.

Deleted
    Krikooks - all your points are valid, but nothing that cannot be dealt with:

a) in fact there are no real rewards for defense, therefor developers should came up with something
    b) regarding flying and other points - there could be something like daily 'siege' (in fact there is nothing like that in system, at least yet) that will pretty much point to current targetted faction boss. This could work like events, something they have started with 5.3 (Barrens) with addition of realm-wide notifications.

Again, as i stated before - the advantage of such events (sieges) would be making our hands really busy without much development effort (most likely needed for Whitepaw's idea) - and it will pretty much be all about lore.

Alternatively, providing zone suggested by Whitepaw is also some kind of a solution, this one would of course automatically scale iLVL (like in Guild Wars 2).

What i don't like about this alternative idea is instantiation - for me its all about encapsulation that makes everything artificial and substract a lot from final form (just like soulbounding did, which in mine opinion has slaughtered real MMORPG experience, but this is OT i guess.

15+ Year Old Account
    Krikooks - all your points are valid, but nothing that cannot be dealt with:

a) in fact there are no real rewards for defense, therefor developers should came up with something
    b) regarding flying and other points - there could be something like daily 'siege' (in fact there is nothing like that in system, at least yet) that will pretty much point to current targetted faction boss. This could work like events, something they have started with 5.3 (Barrens) with addition of realm-wide notifications.

Again, as i stated before - the advantage of such events (sieges) would be making our hands really busy without much development effort (most likely needed for Whitepaw's idea) - and it will pretty much be all about lore.

Alternatively, providing zone suggested by Whitepaw is also some kind of a solution, this one would of course automatically scale iLVL (like in Guild Wars 2).

What i don't like about this alternative idea is instantiation - for me its all about encapsulation that makes everything artificial and substract a lot from final form (just like soulbounding did, which in mine opinion has slaughtered real MMORPG experience, but this is OT i guess.
    I disagree that flying can not be changed, in bc they had mobs that attacked people that were flying above and hit you very hard if you were caught, we need that again.

Deleted
    I think I have said those two suggestions before:

Make player kills on the server award CP (like 1 or 2 CP per kill)

Give titles and mounts to players that have 25-50-100k server kills.

Deleted
    apepi - i think it is good idea, to take back something what has been already given (flying) it's just wrong

FeuerFrei -those are pretty good ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
    I think I have said those two suggestions before:

Make player kills on the server award CP (like 1 or 2 CP per kill)

Give titles and mounts to players that have 25-50-100k server kills.
    Great idea!

---------- Post added 2013-06-30 at 06:56 PM ----------

I was pretty hopeful that this expansion would introduce a lot more world pvp stuff since it was supposed to be about the "War" between horde and alliance. I wish they did cross realm wintergrasp type battles in some of the old zones. make it random with either the horde or alliance zone being attacked by the other faction and put different objectives for the attackers to try and control.

killing faction bosses isn't very effective, there are some faction bosses no one cares about and no one will go defend them. Litreally no one is ever in silvermoon, and poor lor'themar gets slaughtered on a fairly regular basis because you have no opposition. some kind of server wide buff for wpvp might help motivate people though.

maybe if they limited faction ratios to help keep them even, like only so many people of one faction per server. i think unbalanced servers are as much to blame for the death of wpvp as general apathy is.

during the beginning of MoP i was on Kil'jaeden which is a relatively balanced server, with a good wpvp scene. all the daily hubs were full of wpvp, it was a ton of fun, and kept the daily hubs engaging for me for a lot longer then they might have been if i hadn't been able to gank people. i recently transferred to Blackrock to play with some friends and the difference is noticeable, and not fun at all.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    In next patch the servers might be more balanced.
    Yea, while I don't quite understand how virtual realms work, I believe they're promising better faction balance.

Quote Originally Posted by kosechi View Post
    killing faction bosses isn't very effective, there are some faction bosses no one cares about and no one will go defend them. Litreally no one is ever in silvermoon, and poor lor'themar gets slaughtered on a fairly regular basis because you have no opposition. some kind of server wide buff for wpvp might help motivate people though.
    They could give a "faction leader defender" buff. I do believe it would be as easy as ensuring that you engaged the opposite faction in your faction leader's room.

I also think that player kills in world pvp should give A LOT more honor. Each kill should give no less than 40-50 honor diminished by how many times you engage the enemy during a certain period so that people don't just keep camping towns or questing hubs.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-06-30 at 07:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15