Poll: Do you think Armor dyes would be a cool addition to the game?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I do like the idea, however it would be too much work to go back and redo every item in the game to support it. It also wouldn't really work well with their different difficulties having their own colours at the moment. Perhaps if they created items/gear specifically with the intent to let you dye it how you want would be a neat little feature.
    We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    No, it would be a terrible idea.

Why?

Because then the WoW artists would actually have to make different designs for gear, and currently they can't even come up with good designs for gear. Adding more will just create more problems.
    While I do think they should allow for you to change the color you do raise a very good point about the dev team. As for heroic and elite gear maybe make them get some extra colors. Example for regular pvp you get red and for elite pvp you get red an gold or maybe a little extra color customization. I would actually be a big fan of the DCUO color system, the appearance system would be great to but that doesnt matter to me as much as the color.
    Last edited by Nuvuk; 2013-06-30 at 12:36 PM.

It would conflict with Wow's philosophy of gear recognition. But the biggest problem would be having to remake every single piece of gear in the game from scratch to accomodate for colour changing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Alot of people would dye everything hot pink and things would get silly.

This is the WoW community we are talking about, right?
    That's kind of the fun with dyes or transmog! Not everything is srs bsnss. :P

Deleted
    I guess Blizzard r having trouble coming up with their own ideas so why not just copy other MMOs successful features.

Hell yes! I think the "It would be silly cus pink/clown outfits" arguments are invalid. It's already happening with transmog, not a lot but it does. Also, why the hell do you care how someone's character looks like? If he wants to be wearing pink with bunnies all over it and kill some dragons like that then that's the person's own choice not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by NonameXADX View Post
    Hell yes! I think the "It would be silly cus pink/clown outfits" arguments are invalid. It's already happening with transmog, not a lot but it does. Also, why the hell do you care how someone's character looks like? If he wants to be wearing pink with bunnies all over it and kill some dragons like that then that's the person's own choice not yours.
    A lot of the things they added like PVP power, baseline resilience, and the Kor'Kron crap in the Barrens are taken directly from Rift, but honestly I remember dying my armor in EverQuest like 8 years ago, so I'm not sure why it never occurred to Blizzard to maybe adopt this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
    Same slippery slope argument was used about transmog, and very few people use silly transmogs.

Logical Fallacy is still a Logical Fallacy.
    I beg to differ. I have seen lots of people do silly transmogs. I bet if you went on the wow forums and clicked people's armories from the forums you would see lots of different transmogs. Maybe not ALL silly looking, but I've seen many people that mix up several sets of gear to achieve a certain look.

And for those of you that haven't played the other mmos out there now, not everyone looks like silly power ranger techno color crazies in those other games.
    What doesn't kill you, only makes you stranger

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Alot of people would dye everything hot pink and things would get silly.

This is the WoW community we are talking about, right?
    What do you mean "things get silly"?

You already have Pokemon in game, Kung-Fu Pandas, gnomes, dwarves, mechanostriders, biplanes, APC's, trolls etc. How are things not silly already? This is a game for 12 year olds, do you consider it "serious" in any way so that if everyone and their brother dye their clothes pink (which they will), grow braids and mustaches and run around in pink dresses somehow this will mean that the game will lose its seriousness?

Haha. Sorry but you make me laugh.

EDIT: I used to play Ultima Online back in 2004.

So anyway, UO had dyes available, and ppl used them to dye their clothes and armour. What happened was, you'd get male "Red" characters with blond braids and moustaches and beards (Red characters were PK's-Player Killers) dressed in 17th Century Bavarian Female pink female dresses and holding instead of weapons skillets (frying pans), because the game allowed one to wear a female dress on top of one's armor. If you were a caster, it didn't matter what you held in your hand.

So you had male Player-Killer characters with braids and moustaches dressed like Bavarian maids in pink dresses running around killing players casting flamestrikes holding skillets. Haha. Absolutely ridiculous. It is only a matter of time before forum pressure turns WoW into something equally pathetic, seeing as how Blizzard would implement almost anything.
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2013-06-30 at 02:45 PM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    I said no. I like the idea in principle, but I'm not sure how it would work out for sets that have a lot of variety in their existing colorschemes. It works well in Diablo 3 and GW2 where there aren't many models, and those there are are frankly pretty bland, but I just don't think it would work well with the rather more detailed models in WoW.

Deleted
    Well why not, but personally I don't give a damn about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see dyes come into the game. If anything just to make it easier to get gear that might just slightly be off colour to match exactly.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Yes, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen any time soon

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be a great addition, it leaves me baffled why it isn't already available.

So many of the armour sets have crap colours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where is my "yes, oh fucking god yes". Since I saw it in GW1 I've wanted it in WoW
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    Sure it's a good idea. But it needs to be profession related.
    That would be a good way to bring some value back to the armor crafting profressions: tailors make dye for cloth, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    It would conflict with Wow's philosophy of gear recognition. But the biggest problem would be having to remake every single piece of gear in the game from scratch to accomodate for colour changing.
    "Can only be used on items with iLevel X or highter."

10+ Year Old Account
    Armor dyes would be awesome!! But then blizz can't really recolor amour sets w/o purpose!! :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fer sure, would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by achromatickang View Post
    Or would it do more harm than good because there would be no point in getting Heroic raid gear as the unique color sets wouldn't matter?

I could see that being a problem, but everyone gets Heroic transmog sets for free after the content becomes obsolete, so I don't know. Maybe make it to where only Heroic raid armor, and Elite PVP gear could be dyed?

I personally love the dye system in Rift, and can think of a lot of Warcraft armor sets that don't look too cool with their default color, but would look amazing with a dye-job.

The color of the armor/glows are not what is important to that Heroic, Thunderforged, or Elite gear. It is that little tag in green and the fact the gear is more powerful. Only fauxcores and their epeens care about the color and showing off.

I would love to see an armor dye system, but it needs to be better than the one in other games. There needs to be full color control, not just just a couple large sections. We also need to let that extend to weapons and glows on both armor and weapons.