Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

10m Lei Shen Help

Sorry to post the billionth thread about this, I've already read through them but I'd just like a few tips really, specific to my group.

We're a new guild really, been through quite a few setups, people have joined and left after deciding we're not right, so on so forth, this has slowed us down. We've not got a fresh core over the past 2 weeks or so and think we do have the ability to down him, I struggle picking through the logs as I just dont understand the numbers. Anyway, our setup is:

Grp 1: prot warr/prot pally
    grp 2: rest shaman, frost dk
    grp 3: rest druid, warlock, hunter
    grp 4: holy pally, WW monk, spriest

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-puf4kv9dp87yvep8/

We opted for our first night to disable the eastern pillar, however im now thinking of doing static shock. I reckon this was the biggest trouble causer, would people agree?

I know our dps was shit too, people finding feet but I assure you we have pretty decent dps for a slowpoke casual guild.

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks

(Typed with baby bashing keyboard, sry)
    Last edited by mmoce6675f1389; 2013-06-30 at 05:47 PM. Reason: logs

Deleted
    I think u should go with 2 healers if they are good enough so u don't lack dps, and the boss will die faster, u just really need to do nice soaking and nice aoe dps when balls is coming, if u can stun them just do it so u don't get aoe damage, I think the platform u start on normal mode doesn't need to be a specific one, like u know there is a achievement to do on 4 platforms, so just focus on one of them that you started already and everything will be fine hopefully.

Another way is split up the platforms so you have it setup like

G1: Prot Warrior
    G2: Prot pally
    G3: resto druid, resto shaman, warlock, frost DK
    G4: Holy Pally, hunter, spriest, ww monk

G4 all have immunities for static shock, tanks don't get it and dealing with 1 bouncing bolt add per tank isn't that bad as they should be able to solo their add before end of transition, just make sure they catch the bolt after that first add spawns.
    On 2nd transition have the spriest and hunter move over with the tanks and pile everyone else into a group so it looks like

G1:Prot War, Spriest
    G2:Prot Pally, WW monk
    G3: Resto druid, resto shaman, holy pally, hunter, warlock, frost DK

This will ensure that static shock will have its damage spilt enough ways in P2 for easy survival with immunities or CDs like AMZ or Devo aura, and there will be the same 1 add per tank with bouncing bolts as long as you don't level up the conduit more than one additional time. I also tossed the monk and spriest over with the tanks because of their ability to offheal with healing spheres/flash heal just in case. for DPS'ing bolt adds down take the higher dps with the lower dps tank to even things out a bit so they are dead by the end of the final transition.

In general I recommend getting rid of diffusion chain first as your druid and shaman are going to be reliant on maximizing their healing through stacking and you can't do that if that spawns lots of adds.

Deleted
    I really don't get why people are so keen on putting tanks seperately, it makes no sense to me. Could someone explain perhaps? To me it makes the tank quadrant(s) so ridic boring and all abilities will then happen on the others. Why don't you just split it so everyone deals with a bit of abilities instead of 2-3 groups with everything? I think it's by far easiest to spread is 2-2-3-3, with the groups of 2 consisting of a tank and a solo-soaker, and the groups of 3 having a healer. Yeah 2-heal is also what I'd suggest, the things you wipe on will rarely be something a third healer could've fixed. I 3-healed it once and it was a snoozefest tbh.
    Windwalker and shadowpriest probably work best as solo-soakers, since they can off-heal a bit if need be (healing spheres ftw). Hunter also works but you probably would want to put him with the prot pala for some heals then.

I have done it 2-2-3-3 and its just as boring, but there are less people to help with static shock which means its harder on the healers, or you have to burn more CDs you may not have available, Especially if you combine chain add + static shock. There is a good chance that someone having difficulty (like the OP) will lose a player to RNG. Tanks already have plenty to do during the main phases and if they want to be more useful they can taunt a diffusion add over and kill that too with cleave. The big things we wiped on when first doing this were static shock, and bouncing bolts, both of which can be solved by putting more warm bodies into the areas they are needed for.

Frankly a snoozefest is what the OP needs for this fight while his team is getting used to it. They can always drop healers later if they want to push for faster kills, but he has such a long enrage that there is no reason not to take the extra healer for your first kill if you are having deaths.

I hate to keep posting this, but I still think it's easiest way to do normal mode and there's no reason to retype it:

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    Easy mode normal strat:

Disable Diffusion Chain First
    This means no Chain and no adds in t2, so you can stack. You can level it up if your DPS is low or just take it to ~95, then move and move on each subsequent conduit below 95 if your DPS is high.

Disable Overcharge Next
    If you level it, you will get doubles. Because you disable Diffusion Chain though, you can just stack in the center of your quadrant the majority of the time. You just have to move to soak Bolts, then restack for Overcharge/Static Shock.

Run 4-4-1-1
    Each tank solos a quadrant. It's helpful if the quadrant you assign to one of the tanks is where you'll be starting after the transition so they just have to taunt the boss towards them rather than running around. Tank quadrants will only get Bouncing Bolts and if they get two Bolts, just soak one, pick up the add, and soak the other. A tank should have no problem holding an add or two for the phase and they may even kill it. During t2, go 4-4-2 where both tanks go to the same quadrant.

Spread healers and DPS evenly between the other two quadrants; class comp doesn't really matter for those. Be spread during t1 so you don't chain Diffusion. During t1, make sure you're spread a bit so Diffusion doesn't chain, soak Bolts, stack for Static, stack for Overcharge. Watch the Diffusion cd timer; you will have to wait a few seconds before stacking for a few of the Statics/Overcharges. During t2, just stack in the center, soak Bolts, and restack.

This strat doesn't depend on people having immunities for Static Shock because you'll always have 4 people to soak it for very little damage. It also gives you the flexibility to level Overcharge in p2 if you need to and easily handle it because you can just stack most of t2.
    If possible, just run 2 healers. You shouldn't need 3 and more DPS makes phases go more quickly (which means less energy on conduits and less damage during transitions), plus p3 should end before winds stack to a dangerous level.

Looking at your logs, people are only dying to things that an extra healer would not prevent. They're messing up mechanics (getting hit by Overcharge, spawning lots of adds, doing Static Shock alone w/o a CD, etc.). Fix that, get the transitions under control, make sure ranged are positioned correctly for Thunderstruck, and you'll get a kill.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2013-07-01 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthias9742 View Post
    I have done it 2-2-3-3 and its just as boring, but there are less people to help with static shock which means its harder on the healers, or you have to burn more CDs you may not have available, Especially if you combine chain add + static shock. There is a good chance that someone having difficulty (like the OP) will lose a player to RNG. Tanks already have plenty to do during the main phases and if they want to be more useful they can taunt a diffusion add over and kill that too with cleave. The big things we wiped on when first doing this were static shock, and bouncing bolts, both of which can be solved by putting more warm bodies into the areas they are needed for.

Frankly a snoozefest is what the OP needs for this fight while his team is getting used to it. They can always drop healers later if they want to push for faster kills, but he has such a long enrage that there is no reason not to take the extra healer for your first kill if you are having deaths.
    Killing stuff faster means less energy on pillars = lower damage on transitions.

This fight should be 2 healed imo. 3 healing it just gives your healers no opportunity to improve since all 3 are idling somewhat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by matthias9742 View Post
    Tanks already have plenty to do during the main phases and if they want to be more useful they can taunt a diffusion add over and kill that too with cleave.
    Hardest thing for tanks on that fight is not over-aggro'ing when other tank taunted imo. Mostly just stand there and ignore mechanics that only target ranged. When to move boss is pretty much baked in on timers after 4 pulls or so, or you have a raidleader calling it out anyway. It's really not a complex or hard tank fight.

Deaths from what exactly if I may ask? Most stuff you get 1shot or live and have time to be healed back up.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Lei Shen encounter is timed very precisely. So precisely, that, once you have inherited a feeling for that fight, you won´t have to use addons like dbm anymore because you magically know what happens next. You will not kite Lei Shen to the next conduit at a certain amount of energy per pillar, but when specific events occur. Please read carefully, if executed exactly as described below, you will have no problems at all.
    First things first. Run 2 Tanks, 2 Healers, 6 DPS. Assign the two tanks to the Diffusion Chain plattform. Assign two DDs with immunity effects to the Bouncing Bolt plattform. Best suited are mages, hunters, Rouges, Deathknights, but almost all other classes might survive solo soaking a Static Shock with cooldowns. Assign 2 DDs + 1 Healer each to the remaining plattforms. let the warrior begin to tank Lei Shen on the Diffusion Chain plattform. Finally, tell the warlock to put a portal from between the Bouncing Bolt and Static shock plattform as near as possible towards the Overcharge plattform

Now the tricky part. Make sure, that you don´t stack up in the Diffusion Chain plattform. He will start with Lightning Crash, those blueish clouds at melee range. Dont´stand in it. Then he will use Thunderstruck. Wait for it to be placed, tell the other tank to move in direction of Overcharge plattform. When Lei Shen uses Lightning Crash for the second time IMMEDIATLY use heroic jump towards the warlock gate at plattform 2. He will catch up to you and apply decapitate. The Paladin taunts Lei Shen, the Warrior uses the warlock gate, the raid stacks up at the Paladin tank´s position because Overcharge will occur immediatly. The Warrior returns to the boss. Lei Shen will use Lightning Crash once and then use the second Thunderstruck. While he is channeling Thunderstruck, the Paladin runs towards the third plattform. After the thunderstruck, Lei Shen immediatly follows him. Make sure to stand in the Bounding Bolt´s blue circles, which will appear immediatly after Lei Shen reached the paladin. After the first Bouncing Bolts Lei Shen will apply decapitate on the Paladin. The Warrior taunts and the Paladin runs towards the fourth plattform (Static Shock) where he stays. After the first Lightning Crash (only a very short time!) the warrior jumps towards the paladin, intercepting the last few yards. Lei Shen should stop charging the Bouncing Bolt´s conduit shortly before a second Bouncing Bolts occur. Keep Lei Shen at the last pillar, he should be around 70% at that time.

First Intermission. Communication must be clear, especially regarding solo soaking abilities. Warrior tank has to run to the Overcharge plattform three seconds bevore phase ends. Bouncing Bolt´s plattform and Static Shock´s plattform may use warlock portal to get to Overcharge plattform.

Again, performing in this phase is timed after certain events. Be careful. Everybody has to stack up at the Warrior tank. At first, Overcharge will occur. Then, Ball Lightning will be summoned. Because everyone is still stacke dup, they can easily be stunned and AoE´d. Then, Lightning Whip will happen. People may spread out and avoid that. After that, he will use Fusion Slash on the Warrior, who needs to stand in any direction but the plattform´s border. The paladin taunts IMMEDIATLY and KEEPS LEI SHEN AT THE OVERCHARGE PLATTFORM. Make the raid stack up again. Again, first Overcharge, then Ball Lightning then Lightning Whip will happen. The SECOND Fusion Slash needs to catapult the Paladin towards the Bouncing Bolt´s plattform. The Warrior will taunt Lei Shen and drag him towards the pillar. Stand inside the Bouncing Bolt´s blue circles and then immediatly stakc up at the Warrior tank´s position, for Lightning ball will be summoned shortly after. Avoid the following Lightning Whip. The paladin may run to the last pillar while the Warrior is catapulted via Fusion Slash towards him. The Paladin taunts Lei Shen. Keep Lei Shen at the Static Shock pillar until the phase ends.

Intermission two. make both tanks join the two DDs in the Bouncing Bolt plattform, they don´t have to solo doak anything anymore from that point on. When phase ends, drag Lei Shen a bit away from the middle of the room and pop Bloodlust. He will do three things in a fix order: Lightning Whip, Thunderstruck, Ball Lightning. After the Thunderstruck, stack up at the Boss, wait for the ball Lightnings, AoE them, spread out to avoid the next Lightning Whip and Thunderstruck, then stack up again. Tanks should taunt the boss at around 13 stacks of Overwhelming Power and use cooldowns.

Short fazit and tl;dr:

P1:
    Lightning Crash - do nothing
    Thunderstruck - paladin moves towards Overcharge
    Lightning Crash - Warrior jumps to warlock gate, waits for Lei Shen
    Decapitate - Paladin taunts and drags to Overcharge conduit, Warrior uses warlock gateway
    Charging Overcharge conduit - raid stacks up at tank
    Overcharge - raid is stacked up at tank
    Lightning Crash - Warrior has returned to the boss
    Thunderstruck - Paladin runs to the third conduit (Bouncing Bolts), waits for Lei Shen
    Charging Bouncing Bolt plattform - raid stands in blue cirles to prevent addspawn
    Decapitate - Warrior taunts, Paladin moves to Static Shock plattform
    Lightning Crush - Warrior jumps to Static Shock plattform
    Bring Lei Shen to 65%

Intermission 1 - survive

Phase 2:
    Charging Overcharge conduit - raid stacks up at tank
    Overcharge - raid is stacked, no stuns
    Lightning Balls - stun, aoe
    Lightning Whip - Avoid, then stack up again
    Fusion Slash - paladin taunts immediatly and keeps Lei shen at his position
    Overcharge - stack up
    Lightning Balls - stun, aoe
    Lightning Whip - avoid, Warrior moves to Bouncing Ball plattform
    Fusion Slash - paladin is catapulted towards Bouncing Ball plattform, Warrior taunts
    Charging Bouncing Bolt conduit - stand in blue circles to prevent addspawn, then immediatly stack up
    Lightning Ball - stun, aoe (people are stacked up!)
    Lightning Whip - avoid, Paladin moves towards Static Shock plattform
    Fusion Slash - Warrior is catapulted towards Static Shock plattform, Paladin taunts
    Charging Static Shock conduit - stack up
    Static shock - stacked up, no high damage
    Lightning Ball - stun, aoe
    Lightning Whip - avoid
    Fusion Slash - taunt but keep Lei Shen at his position
    Phase 2 ends.

Intermission 2 - survive

Phase 3:
    Lightning Whip and winds - avoid
    Thunderstruck and winds - avoid, afterwards stack up immediatly
    Lightning Balls - stun, aoe, spread out
    Kill Lei Shen.

Now, finally, some protips regarding the Intermissions:
    If you fear to be affected by the neighbour´s Overcharge wave, just start moving away from the danger zone DIRECTLY after the overcharge happened. With normal run speed you will "chase" your own Overcharge wave and avoid the one chasing you.
    Learn to differ the small adds from diffusion chain and the big adds from Bouncing Bolts. Small adds = easy to kill for any DD; big adds = bad.
    Tanks, you are heart of the fight. Don´t fuck up kiting the boss to the right conduit at the right moment. Don´t fuck up taunting in P3 often. Don´t fuck up being kicked from the plattform from Fusion Slash (ultra protip: Fusion Slash is a RANGED attack, it may hit you from distance).

This described plan lives and dies from being followed thoroughly. A "Oops, I think he should be at the next conduit already" will change the whole time table, thus, make this plan useless.

GL
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

My guild is having a hard time surviving the intermission phases. We do everything we're supposed to do. Stack when we're supposed to, soak the swirlies etc. But, I find that even when I'm stacked, sometimes I take no damage, other times, I'm standing there like normal and I get one shot. Why is that? At times I thought it was because I thought maybe I moved too soon or something, so I even take my hand away from the keyboard and wait, boom. One shot. I take it just pop as many damage reduction cds as possible and hope for the best? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    My guild is having a hard time surviving the intermission phases. We do everything we're supposed to do. Stack when we're supposed to, soak the swirlies etc. But, I find that even when I'm stacked, sometimes I take no damage, other times, I'm standing there like normal and I get one shot. Why is that? At times I thought it was because I thought maybe I moved too soon or something, so I even take my hand away from the keyboard and wait, boom. One shot. I take it just pop as many damage reduction cds as possible and hope for the best? lol.
    Do you have a disc priest shelling you? If so, that will run out and you should be aware of when you're prone to getting killed.

Also, the abilities become stronger the more energy is put into them. I got it down to a science - taunt and move on the first Decapitate, that will put you at 96-98 Energy on the Eastern platform. That gives you a lot of leeway and extra time to DPS so that the Static Shocks don't hurt as much. On our third kill the North conduit was at 0 Energy because we never got around to it. Made the intermission seem almost trivial.
    Last edited by Tarazet; 2013-07-07 at 06:04 AM.

Because the other people you are stacking with are using 100% damage avoidance abilities which leaves you to soak the rest of the damage.

Deleted
    The damage gets split over viable targets. If a mage iceblocks, he isn't a viable target so he doesn't count for the damage split. Same with pala bubble, deterrence and similar immunity abilities.
    When you are in a Static Shock with multiple people, none of them should use immunities (but do use damage reduction or absorbs!). Make this *very* clear to others in your raid. It is perfectly fine for them to solo a Shock with their immunity, but as soon as others join them in the circle they're basically throwing more damage around if they go immune.

Also, the Static Shock does more damage depending on how much energy is in the pillar. If your dps is low on a try the pillar could get so much energy that it just eats through your health even when stacked.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I will pass that along to my guild. I think we should be okay now (hopefully!). Appreciate it.

Another idea that we used during our first kill was the 4 - 4 - 1 - 1 split. We charged up the bouncing ball pylon so we wouldn't have to deal with it in the second intermission phase. And without the bouncing balls we just did a 5 - 5 - 0 split staying out the Static Shock pylon area. We had people roll personal cds to solo soak the Shocks which allowed for a more spreading to avoid Diffusion chaining.

We 3 healed, and lost 2 due to some brain farts during the last transition, ressed one and still managed to kill him before the Winds became unhealable.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

You gotta be a bit more clear here. My group had issues with transitions too though, the big thing to remember is that you generally do not want to stack on the over charged person immediately, give it a few seconds because diffusion goes out at the same time, and if it hits 2 people, it's generally going to be a wipe. Beyond that, each platform should have access to some sort of heals, even hybrids can heal up thru the damage (I'm a mage and I used symbiosis with healing touch). Beyond that, don't try to soak up 2 puddles unless you got a major cooldown, as it will generally kill you. After that, the only thing you got to worry about is helm of command, which isn't too big of a problem for many classes, but anyone that does have trouble should pretty much stay closer to lei shen. Oh yeah, make sure you are far back on your platform generally, incase you get over charge, so it doesn't travel to other platforms (of course, move closer at it goes off when helm of command is about to pop). Master all that, and that phase will be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    You gotta be a bit more clear here. My group had issues with transitions too though, the big thing to remember is that you generally do not want to stack on the over charged person immediately, give it a few seconds because diffusion goes out at the same time, and if it hits 2 people, it's generally going to be a wipe. Beyond that, each platform should have access to some sort of heals, even hybrids can heal up thru the damage (I'm a mage and I used symbiosis with healing touch). Beyond that, don't try to soak up 2 puddles unless you got a major cooldown, as it will generally kill you. After that, the only thing you got to worry about is helm of command, which isn't too big of a problem for many classes, but anyone that does have trouble should pretty much stay closer to lei shen. Oh yeah, make sure you are far back on your platform generally, incase you get over charge, so it doesn't travel to other platforms (of course, move closer at it goes off when helm of command is about to pop). Master all that, and that phase will be easy.
    Thank you. Hopefully everything goes more smoothly. I got some good advice from everyone though (including you), so again, I appreciate it. So far, we're getting to the first intermission phase easily. The few times we got through it, we easily got to the other intermission phase as well. We have the dps, it's just about having to get over the hump. If we can get through both, I'm sure it will be a kill!

So we just got here for the first time tonight.

We decided to go with the 4-4-1-1 strategy but our tanks were complaining about too many adds killing them. I understand that if they get unlucky and have 2 orbs coming, 1 add has to spawn. Can they even get hit with Diffusion Chain to spawn additional adds?

We tried giving them a soaker that can offheal (shadow priest / enhancement shaman), it went well once so they want to keep doing it but I think it's really just a crutch on the tanks fucking up and they just need to deal solo'ing a quadrant.

For Overcharge, should we just be running away from it or trying to stack inside of it?

Our first few wipes, we were wiping before we even got into the intermission. The tanks had a really hard time understanding the meaning of RUN between the pillars. Ok, fixed that. Now we're stuck dealing with the intermission.

The damage is so great that we never even make it to the 4th pillar to start charging it up. So I'm not really even worried about the second phase and damage, except that it might slow down a bit to deal with the orbs.

Does anyone have any specific advice for the first intermission and how we should spread/stack for these abilities?

Edit: Read RickJamesLich's post and that might help out quite a bit. We'll have to try next week.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Somehow I guess my initial post was too much of a wall of text.

Anyway, to your questions. No, single players can´t get adds by diffusion chain because diffusion chain has to at least hit two players. Even if they would spawn those small adds, they hit like wet noodles, especially on tanks.
    Regarding Overcharge, when this ability occurs there is no reason to spread. If you are handling the southern conduit just stay stacked behind the boss, because, why not? And if you are handling Overcharges in the intermission, just stack up, wait for it to go off, spread out again. Just make sure not to be hit by the neighbour´s platform´s overcharge.
    I am a bit confused what you mean by "the damage is so great that we never make it to the 4th pillar to start charging up", because you are talking about the intermission, right? Pillars use their ability simultanously and randomly. There is no real order. Anyway, I´d suggest you take the 2-3-3-2 strategy. 2 tanks, healer-DD-DD, healer-DD-DD and DD-DD. Make sure the platform with the two DDs has two plyers on it who can solo soak stuff. Rogues, Hunters, Mages, Paladins, Warlocks who know their cooldowns. Healers should be focussing on their plattform. tanks won´t need heal and the two DDs rarely if they use their cooldowns correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caladia View Post
    So we just got here for the first time tonight.

We decided to go with the 4-4-1-1 strategy but our tanks were complaining about too many adds killing them. I understand that if they get unlucky and have 2 orbs coming, 1 add has to spawn. Can they even get hit with Diffusion Chain to spawn additional adds?

We tried giving them a soaker that can offheal (shadow priest / enhancement shaman), it went well once so they want to keep doing it but I think it's really just a crutch on the tanks fucking up and they just need to deal solo'ing a quadrant.

For Overcharge, should we just be running away from it or trying to stack inside of it?

Our first few wipes, we were wiping before we even got into the intermission. The tanks had a really hard time understanding the meaning of RUN between the pillars. Ok, fixed that. Now we're stuck dealing with the intermission.

The damage is so great that we never even make it to the 4th pillar to start charging it up. So I'm not really even worried about the second phase and damage, except that it might slow down a bit to deal with the orbs.

Does anyone have any specific advice for the first intermission and how we should spread/stack for these abilities?

Edit: Read RickJamesLich's post and that might help out quite a bit. We'll have to try next week.
    Tell the tanks to man up. worst case they get 2 adds and they can blow every CD they have because the damage outside of intermissions is laughable.

You need to stack on the person that gets overcharged. That's the whole point. You can't run faster than it and if you get stunned in it you will miss the next abilities.