10+ Year Old Account

GPU problems (more or less computer illiterate)

Starting with computer specs:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 32nm Technology
    RAM: 12,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 at 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. CM1831 (AM3R2)
    Graphics: 3072MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 545 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    Hard Drives: 932GB Hitachi HDS721010DLE630 ATA Device (SATA)
    PSU is 350W peak I assume... No idea about the brand.

It is a package computer (I regret getting it, but at the time it seemed like a good deal) and recently the GPU fan stopped working. Now I'm trying decide whether to replace the fan or upgrade the GPU, since I've been thinking of upgrading the computer part by part for a while now. There's no warranty left for it, so sending it back to the manufacturer is not an option.

The problem with both of these options is that I'm a bit clueless with computers. I can identify the PSU, CPU, GPU, Motherboard, HDD and RAM when looking inside a computer. I also know how to detach (and attach) the GPU, but I don't know how to replace the fan without instructions for example. So I need opinions on whether I should upgrade my GPU or just replace the fan and then help with finding a fan or GPU that would fit my computer at all.

I use my computer for gaming most of the time. Currently it's almost exlusively World of Warcraft, but I do have games like Arma 2 (for DayZ) which I think requires a bit more out of my computer than WoW?
    Anyway, I would like it if my computer could play World of Warcraft in 25-man raids and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn when it launches, both with "decent" settings. I don't care about maximum settings, but I want at least spell graphics to be high enough so I can actually see the bad stuff on the floor. And finally, I would be happy if the GPU could handle future games for a while with even minimal settings. If my other parts fall short, I can upgrade them, but I don't want to replace my GPU twice in a row.

Now, I assume I would have to replace my PSU first before looking into better GPUs? If that's the case, then you might as well suggest PSU+GPU combos. As for budget, I'm looking at roughly 300€. The amount is not set in stone, so if there's a much better combo at slightly higher price, do come forward with it. I believe the biggest problem would be finding the parts at reasonable prices in Finland. I did find someone suggesting a Radeon HD 7870 + Seasonic 520W power supply to someone else with a seemingly similar setup to mine. Is that still a good GPU or has it aged already? And would that combo fit my setup? I have no idea if my CPU would bottleneck that GPU and I don't know if I have the required 2 x 6 pin PCI Express thingies... Are those the slots on the motherboard where you put the GPU into or are those some kind of cables? Trying to google 6 pin PCI Express gives the idea it's a cable and googling just PCI Express gives the idea they're those slots...

I think that's about it, so should I replace my fan or my card? Also, sorry if it's confusing to read and I hope you don't want to find me in real life to make me suffer for the stupid that I unleashed upon this world.

10+ Year Old Account
    GPU might be OK for WoW outside of 25mans (I have the same one [GPU], also regretful)

I wouldn't feel bad about asking stuff like this. Personally, the most thing I knew in October 2012 about computers is I thought: "i7 is better than i5 which is better than i3". Didnt know anything about resolutions, though GPUs were irrelevant, and didnt know AMD exists. I did (still do) a LOT of reading. I look at everyone posts and gather information, read reviews, and I think I can offer decent advise on picking parts now. I certainly know A LOT more now than before, and if anything I say is wrong it is probably because everything I say is based off posts I've read here which I've taken as facts from people like Chazus, Notarget, Marest, Tetrisgoat, Toffie, etc.

What website can you use? If what I understand is correct, any price in USD is the same number in euro (as in a 99$ PSU is 99 euro in the EU) so I'll find a $300 combo and hope you can find the same (I will not take into account any sales/discounts because they may not be replicated in EU)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...irtualParent=1 $87 pre-discount, so I'll assume 87 euro price.

Leaves 213 dollars/euro

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127730 at $170/euro

Leaves room for any differences in pricing, I guess.

Probably your best bet would be to expand that budget to 336 euro and get the same PSU and this GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130938

Or if you can expand the budget by another $10/euro you could get a non-reference design 760: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125465

to be completely honest with you I don't know how to solve your fan problem, I'm just offering advice should you need to change your PSU and GPU at that budget

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    PCI express are the slots on your motherboard. 6 pin PCI express power cables are 6 pin power plugs on your psu that high end graphics cards need for extra power. Generally most higher watt psu will have at least 2.

The PSU and GPU you listed are both good. For GPU it's pretty much just however much you want to spend. I'm not sure of the prices of parts where you live but if you wanted to use up your entire budget you might want to look into raedon 7950 or a gtx 760. They're both a step up and might be within your budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies so far!

I'm really warming up to the idea of a Radeon 7950/GTX 760. The price difference does seem a bit steep, but I do want a GPU that will last me a while. The Gigabyte GTX 760 that Ripox suggested is 269€ and a review I found for it praised it. I think I am going with that unless someone gives me a reason to reconsider.

As for the PSU, I did find the one that Ripox suggested for 62€. For comparison, the PSU I was thinking of (Seasonic S12II 520W) was 73€. I want to be sure that I make the right choice here, so will 550W/520W be enough even if I upgraded the rest of my computer within a year or so? Keeping in mind that I will want affordable yet efficient parts.

10+ Year Old Account
    The XFX PSU will be absolutely fine and unless you go for a second graphics card it will remain fine. No change in CPU/CPU cooler/RAM/motherboard/etc will (probably) force a PSU change.