Random Acts of Kindness:

Hello.

Today I started a new character on US PvP Frostmourne server, my first Alliance toon and first PvP server, a Human Priest. I forgot how much new characters suck without help from others (Bags, Bank, AH for professions, BoA gear), and was reminded of that as I levelled her. But lo and behold, as I ran into Stormwind for the first time a guy opened trade with me, and just gave me 600g and 7 Netherweave Bags.

I don't know about you, but this has never happened to me before. I didn't catch his name, but he was there for a solid half an hour giving out things to new characters.

I just don't see this type of behaviour often enough, and was wondering if you had any random acts of kindness done for you, or you did for others?

Deleted
    A few gold in your case I call an act of kindness, a lot of guild + bags I call catering to newbies which I don't approve off. I'm the first in line to help people with group quests or wathever...boosting and making content easier for lowbies disgust me though.

Last time it happened to me was on a scripted all TBC private server...I asked a guy for 30 silver so I could buy spells for the first 10 levels. Considering it's 14x leveling speed it's hard to keep up with spellcosts as you ding with every quest you do...the dude send me 10g. I was able to split it with 2 off my friends starting as well.

The gold didn't cover the cost off even 1/10 off our spells, but it was enough to buy our main abilities for the first 20-30 levels. (I sold some stuff on AH so I could manage with it)

Deleted
    A random mage coming up to me giving me a hug and in /w wishing me a good day! thought it was a nice change from the usual abuse everybody gives each other.

Deleted
    Some guy in general chat in Dread Wastes asked how to get to Shrine of the Seven Stars, and since I felt nice that day, I flew him there on my Sandstone Drake.
    Small stuff like this doesn't happen too often, but now that I think about it, I should personally start doing it more often - at least, that'd make a few other players happy.

I try to always be as helpful and kind as possible to strangers. Unfortunately, not many others practice the same - so it's difficult at times.

With regards to random acts of kindness done for me: Once I had someone that was quitting open trade with me and give me EVERYthing they had, it was insane. Along with 200kg.
    If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

As long as i am not busy if someone asks where something is in trade i will usually group up and take them, few weeks back someone asked how to get to the vale, they were 87 and hadn't got out of jade forest.

I took them by road, up the veiled stair, and went through the quest line all the way to the shrine on my 90. Pointed out the flight trainer for when they are 90 and the inn if they wanted to make it their home. Took about 15 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried being nice like a week ago and help someone freshly dinged gear up with some random epic drop I had (streght stuff, all my characters are either clothies or ... leather wearers) and boy did I feel betrayed afterward : ( I know, my fault for being trusting and nice and I'm not looking for compensation or anything, but the one time you really try being nice >: T

I try to help people out (sometimes literally - Undercity is a bit of a maze for those not used to it) but it's so hard to tell new players apart from those who just pretend to be newbies for easy cash and stuff.

I was on my rogue flying around EPL when a fresh DK asked how to get to Org, so I hopped on my 2 seater rocket, picked him up and flew directly to Undercity, along the way explaining the story behind each territory we flew over. Once we got to Org I dropped him off and went on my way, he really wanted to give up some gold but I refused to take it, too many players have been nice to me for me to accept gold anymore. Especially having started playing in the expansion of fellowship (Wrath... lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    And yet here we are.

My best friends wouldn't help me out that much let alone a stranger, I never really received hand outs before but then again I haven't been looking for them. Outside of giving directions to those lost and offering guildies and friends additional baggies or materials I don't need and giving away free portals to anyone who politely whispered my mage I don't think I've given much back.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Deleted
    Random acts of kindness are rare in MMOs WoW espically, basically because the playerbase is usually full off greed ridden kids/teens, who will snatch away at gold/epics/free mounts, whenever they can.

I try to be kind toward people myself, but I also show retraint on my 'kindness' due to the fact, people WILL exploit you.

Finally i've only have a such kindness, happen to me once as a guildie (Mind I didn't know him/her) gave me half the gold for the Sandstone Drake, back when it was worth something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowserkills7 View Post
    Hello.

Today I started a new character on US PvP Frostmourne server, my first Alliance toon and first PvP server, a Human Priest. I forgot how much new characters suck without help from others (Bags, Bank, AH for professions, BoA gear), and was reminded of that as I levelled her. But lo and behold, as I ran into Stormwind for the first time a guy opened trade with me, and just gave me 600g and 7 Netherweave Bags.

I don't know about you, but this has never happened to me before. I didn't catch his name, but he was there for a solid half an hour giving out things to new characters.

I just don't see this type of behaviour often enough, and was wondering if you had any random acts of kindness done for you, or you did for others?

Welcome to the Alliance, The horde suck in Comparison.

People on my server are A holes.

By people I mean my guild. By my guild I also mean me.

WSB! Emerald Dream, bitches!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    A few gold in your case I call an act of kindness, a lot of guild + bags I call catering to newbies which I don't approve off. I'm the first in line to help people with group quests or wathever...boosting and making content easier for lowbies disgust me though.
    I guess its a good thing no one here cares what you approve of. You claim to be first in line to help people and yet in the same sentence speak of 'disgust' if other people don't do it in a way you 'approve' of. What kind of ass-backwards stupidity is that?

when NPC scan pops up rare mobs, if I find any low level nearby, or fighting it, I invite them
    if they agree, I take them aroudn the map or two, show them soem hidden treasures of pandaria, and kill several rare mobs
    I take bags, they can take gear
    + huge XP and soem cahs/achievments for looting those treasures

Tbh I run people through stockades. It is so easy for alliance to bridge that level bracket.

Deleted
    With Rift f2p, me and my guild gave away almost 300, 18 slot bags (selfmade and selffarmed crafting items), we also gave away 25 mounts, and ton of health pots to people. We all knew how terrible it was to run around with 4 slot bags, so we decide to help the new players, so they would hopefully stay and make the game more alive

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post

Last time it happened to me was on a scripted all TBC private server...I asked a guy for 30 silver so I could buy spells for the first 10 levels. Considering it's 14x leveling speed it's hard to keep up with spellcosts as you ding with every quest you do...the dude send me 10g. I was able to split it with 2 off my friends starting as well.

The gold didn't cover the cost off even 1/10 off our spells, but it was enough to buy our main abilities for the first 20-30 levels. (I sold some stuff on AH so I could manage with it)
    There is a difference between encouraging poor behaviour, and helping to ease the effect of a tedious game mechanic.
    Boosting someone repeatedly through content to speed up their levelling is denying them useful experience.

Bags I see as easing the effect of a tedious mechanic, having to almost micro-manage your inventory contents, dumping the less valuable trash so that you can keep hold of the more valuable trash.
    Something which is not immediately obvious given you cannot tell if the value of a stack will be more than a non-stackable item until you have collected sufficient numbers, which is something you cannot usually be certain of.

The more time they can spend actually playing the class, and less time managing inventory will give them more opportunities to become a more skilled player.

Certainly gold is arguable, because with the removal of the need to buy skills then a lot of the "running cost" of levelling is removed, and providing you do not waste it you should be earning more than enough for things like mounts.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-07-08 at 04:21 PM.

I sometimes help my friends pay for game time for free and give up loot even when I need it so that someone else can progress more-so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well back in Wrath I had this guy who gave me 500g back when I was new and gave me tips on how to be a good player. Nowadays when I returned back to WoW asking for help everyone told me to go find a guy and got flamed as being such a noob etc... and now my server is full of assholes who think themselves they're top pro's over everyone. Guess during expansions kind players do come and go