Deleted

Dark Animus 10N Tips

Anyone got any tips for this guy? Haven't had a solid night on him yet but the bit we did do didn't go so well, people taking a lot of damage. We have tactics researched but just wondering if there was any extra tips that can make this go smoother.

Thanks

At the start there is a lot of damage but until Dark Animus himself has a lot of the rage bar filled the middle of the fight is pretty low dmg. So healers can and should use 3 min CDs at start to help stabilize raid. As a druid I tranq after about 10 sec just to make it nice and easy.

DPS needs to coordinate what is killed first. Have a ranged primary and other dps assist. In 10N have tanks put both theirs into a broken one right off the bat then start picking off ppl, starting with healers then squishies.

Call out Dispells and don't dispell people until they are full HP. We have a Plate DPS just stand at a corner after his add is killed so we know who will be swapped.

if you can get the tanks to position correctly, there is next to zero damage at the beginning of the fight. they each take two golems, one in front, one hitting them in the back - that way they don't buff each other.

assign golems before the pull - everyone gets 1 and tanks get 2. tanks position so one golem will approach them from the rear.
    1) tank 1 stuffs both his golems in a disabled large, then taunts one golem from tank 2. now every player is tanking one (unbuffed) golem.
    2) tank 2 stuffs his golem into a massive, activating it, then pulls it to the middle of the room. the raid encircles him.
    3) tank 1 takes each small golem, one by one, and pulls it near the massive and the raid kills it. hint: take melee golems first for more freedom of movement.
    4) when massive is full, there will be one small golem left. tank swap and tank 2 gets the last small golem and activates the boss with it.
    5) hero/lust and burn. you might need 1 more tank swap, depending on how geared the massive golem tank is.
    -- healers/ranged help break out anima ring.
    -- everyone move during anima font to avoid raid damage.
    -- rotate healing cooldowns for jolt.
    -- dispel at 6 seconds.

take your time at the beginning. there is no rush at all until dark animus is activated. in our raid, melee just chills until their golem is killed. if you can kill the trash, you can kill dark animus. other than the jolt, the debuff, and the massive tank, there shouldn't be a whole lot of damage going out.

Spent the entire time of our first full night on Dark Animus wiping at around 46 seconds. Seems like there were some odd aggro issues that were happening during our attempts. I personally was having a hard time aggroing the 2 golems I was trying to control. I'd taunt the first one on the pull, hit him with judgment (ranged) then hit the second with an avenger shield, but the first golem with turn around and go after a healer by the time I had the second one. I ended up repositioning myself so I was closer to the first golem, but then started having issues pulling the second. Once I got that squared away, we'd have random players lose aggro which would cause someone in the raid to get wrecked by having 2 golems linked on them, which in turn would systematically wipe the raid. Simply frustrating.

On the one pull of the night, where the initial pull came off clean, someone's golem died, which ended up unintentionally activating a large which kind of killed the plan we had in place. I understand the strategy, just seems the execution is the problem. Anyone have similar issues with Dark Animus when while progressing? Maybe positioning might help? Maybe we just needed a reset and will get it down this week. Who knows?

Definitely agree that tanks should position themselves in between two small golems so they don't link up (as silly as that sounds, a linked golem can decimate a tank in a matter of seconds). We tend to dump the small golems into the inanimate larger ones (the ones that don't activate) and then (I'm not sure of the timing, the other tank handles the logistics) we get one Massive, let him suck up a few smaller ones, then bring out the DA and burn him down. We have a melee DPS soak the anima rings for the other tank while I (Paladin) handle the Massive since I can bubble the stacking debuff, so we don't need to ever swap.

To get aggro on the initial two I position myself between them, drop Consecrate on the one and then use Judgment on the other (I have an @mouseover Judgment macro and you don't need to be facing your target for Judgment to cast). It can get tricky though because if you're a bit late they can run to someone else and link up, and then you're screwed.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2013-08-05 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Definitely agree that tanks should position themselves in between two small golems so they don't link up (as silly as that sounds, a linked golem can decimate a tank in a matter of seconds).
    The way to do the fight for the tanks is to link the golems while blowing cooldowns.

The vengeance enables you to kill them quickly into an inactive large. From here you can take one and activate the massive and start filling it by having the raid bring theirs over one at a time.

If tanks follow your quoted suggestion then the tanks will just stand there for 2 minutes beating on golems with no vengeance while the rest of the raid is getting smacked by their little ones.

This fight follows a pattern, big damage at the start, use cooldowns liberally because there is a big lull until the boss is activated. Once the boss is activated you aren't far from having big CD's back up.

This fight is all about the preperation you do beforehand in assigning each active small anima golem to a member of the raid and also positioning in the early stage.

1. You will have 3 broken Large anima golems around the edge of the room. 2 on one side and one on the other.

2. One tank will take the closest 2 small ACTIVE golems to the single broken large golem ensuring they are not close to other broken small golems, and also ensuring that when his small golems die they go in to the broken large golem and not the unbroken one next to it. Its best if the tank starts the encounter standing next to the broken large golem and pulls the 2 small golems with ranged attacks. As soon as they are pulled the tank's big defence cooldown should be popped (Shieldwall, Guardian of the Ancient Kings, Icebound Fortitude, Survival Instincts, Fortifying Brew) and focus fire one of the 2 golems down, preferably marked beforehand with a skull, so the DPS know to kill that one.

3. The nearest active small golem to the 2 golems the first tank will be taking should be assigned to a healer so they are in range of that tank without having to move about and can keep him/her alive during the spiky dmg of the first 10 seconds of combat. That healer will gain aggro on their assigned golem and then concentrate on their tank to begin with.

4. Steps 2 and 3 should be repeated for the other tank and a second healer on the opposite side of the room. All other non broken small golems should be assigned to the rest of the raid members individually.

5. The PULL. Your ranged DPS should kill the small golems that are being tanked by the broken large ones. Ensure that 1 range DPS is on the second tanks golems so that 1 of his small golems dies before the tank's big defence cooldown runs out. If you have melee DPS they cannot assist killing the tanks golems so they should instead take their own small golem to the 3rd broken large golem and kill it there so it feeds in to the large broken (a max of 2 small golems can be put in this large broken one). Ofc if you have 2 melee then they should not both go to the 3rd large broken golem at the same time.

6. At this point both tanks should be free of small golems and the 3rd large broken golem should have 2 small golems put in to it if melee have not already done so. Meaning all three large broken golems are filled up and there should only be 6 small active golems left in the raid.

7. One of the tanks taunts a small golem off a healer and takes it to one of the Massive Anima Golems where it is killed to activate the Massive. The tank takes the Massive to the middle of the room and the second tank taunts the remaining 5 small golems, one at a time, in to melee range behind the massive golem to be killed and put in the massive golem. DPS shouldn't touch the massive golem as it will not be killed at all.

8. All the small active golems should now be gone and the second tank taunts the Massive golem after an Explosive Slam ability, then proceeds to fill up the remaining 3 spaces in the massive golem by taking it to and killing 3 small broken golems (make sure you leave the broken small golem that is right next to dark animus). Once filled the tank takes the massive golem to one side to be tanked for the rest of the fight. Remember "Matter Swap" is now active and you should have 1 healer assigned to do the dispels at the right times.

9. Kill the small broken anima golem that is right next to Dark Animus to activate him and the first tank gets him to centre of the room. Rest of the raid spreads around him. Ensuring 1 DPS (preferably melee) is close to the tank to break him/her out of anima rings. At this point you Heroism/Timewarp/Bloodlust etc and burn the Dark Animus down as fast as possible. Healers should be aware to blow big healing cooldowns after each of the Interrupting Jolts so setups a healer cooldown rotation for those. Also the whole raid should use any personal dmg reduction cooldowns for the Interrupting Jolts to help the healers out.

If executed correctly with the right setup beforehand Dark Animus should be a pushover.
    Last edited by Oogly; 2013-08-05 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    The way to do the fight for the tanks is to link the golems while blowing cooldowns.

The vengeance enables you to kill them quickly into an inactive large. From here you can take one and activate the massive and start filling it by having the raid bring theirs over one at a time.

If tanks follow your quoted suggestion then the tanks will just stand there for 2 minutes beating on golems with no vengeance while the rest of the raid is getting smacked by their little ones.

This fight follows a pattern, big damage at the start, use cooldowns liberally because there is a big lull until the boss is activated. Once the boss is activated you aren't far from having big CD's back up.
    I (hunter) would just help one tank kill his (and other dd on other side same). Not even 20sec to drop each golem.

Like ppl said, tank stand between 2 golems and pull both (2 golems that are close to each other, they dont even have to move to hit u @Javster).
    Range dd kill tank golems, other ppl just smacking their own golem so u dont have aggro issues.

We always did like this: tank, dd, healer on one side with 4 golems. Dropping all on same, ez not even 1min.
    Ppl on other side also dropping theirs. Spawn big one, clean the room (this is what, 2-3min in?)
    Spawn boss and just faceroll on keyboard for maximumdps. 2-3 ppl breaking the ring, healers controlling the ports.

Deleted
    Dark Animus is all about the pull imho. .. after that its a lot of dancing and waiting around

Potion of the Mountains -> Increases armor by 12k or something for 20s -> This is very very nice for the tanks when they have 2 mobs on them.

The way we did it:
    step 1:
    As others have said: tanks take 2, everyone else takes 1. Tanks blow all major CD's to survive.. you need them NOW, not later.
    We have warlock putting his Voidwalker on his add and portalling to the tanks ... kill 1 add fast, close to an inactive (sparkling) Large Anima Golem ... and then the other one of the same tank into the same inactive L.A.G.

step 2:
    Then the free tank picks one of the adds of the other tank and brings it into the massive one ... kill it there, and the Massive becomes active... bring it to the middle of the room, from now on you get Matter Swaps.

The free tank keeps peeling the small ones off the dps and healers into the M.A.G. in the middle ... this just takes a while, and all this time the dps just /dance, while preventing their small adds to cross after being matter swapped

step 3:
    All but 1 off the small golems fit into the M.A.G... the last one left goes into Dark Animus himself.
    The tank that held the M.A.G. before takes Dark Animus (since he has already got quite a few stacks of the debuff), while the tank who peeled off the small ones to the middle takes the M.A.G.

Zerg Dark Animus, (stopping casting on the Jolt and Free the tank from Anima Ring) ...

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post

Might have to try that, but I've had at least one attempt I got pretty much killed in around 3-4 seconds with two guys linked, using big cooldowns (Guardian of Ancient Kings), so we ended up figuring it doesn't matter if tanks just sit there getting beaten on with no vengeance because we weren't dying.

Deleted
    Might have to try that, but I've had at least one attempt I got pretty much killed in around 3-4 seconds with two guys linked, using big cooldowns (Guardian of Ancient Kings), so we ended up figuring it doesn't matter if tanks just sit there getting beaten on with no vengeance because we weren't dying.
    2 linked golems really really shouldn't kill a tank super fast. Most heroic tactics have tanks taking 3, I've even pushed 4. Dying to 2 on normal mode means either you or your healers aren't being pro-active with the expected damage income. I don't know much about warriors, but if you're playing that pally in the signature then Holy Avenger is a great cooldown to have along with GoAK.

Interesting, we've farmed DA 10NM for weeks and never charged a disabled large golem, I didn't know that so much people do it that way.
    For the first two kills, 1 heal kept a golem, I tanked both a big one and a small one and killed the small one after two anima drains, giving us 12 extra seconds before the first aoe.
    Now we just let two heal keep small golems until they run out of anima.

Anyway, charging an inactive large golem seems to be better if you don't care about the 12 (or 18) extra seconds you can ggin before the aoe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Animma View Post
    2 linked golems really really shouldn't kill a tank super fast. Most heroic tactics have tanks taking 3, I've even pushed 4. Dying to 2 on normal mode means either you or your healers aren't being pro-active with the expected damage income. I don't know much about warriors, but if you're playing that pally in the signature then Holy Avenger is a great cooldown to have along with GoAK.
    Any tank should be able to live long enough to kill at least one golem. I tank two of them, using Shield wall early and then using my rage properly, no problem at all.

Deleted
    Our "standard" way of doing this is following:

0) Mark one small golem next to boss - it's supposed to be killed last. No one is allowed to touch it before it's time to activate boss (in step 5).
    1) Tanks pick up two golems each - don't move them - just stand in the middle so they don't link. Everyone else picks one golem.
    2) Let 2 Ranged DPS dump their golems into one Large disabled golem
    3) One tank drops the two golems into a Massive Golem (and doing this activates the Massive)
    4) Tank picks up the Massive Golem and brings it to middle - now everyone else can bring their golems close to Massive and kill them (rdps should help - start with the other tank who still has two of them, then help healers to kill theirs)
    5) With Massive now fully charged with anima, kill the small golem next to boss and activate boss.
    6) DPS Boss (and deal with the abilities)
    7) Tank swap (Boss<->Massive) when Anima Ring is cast on tank (your dps can help break your tank out of the ring)
    8) Dead boss

A ton of thanks for all of the constructive comments made. Turns out the strategy we use is basically what's being mentioned here.

Tanks pick up 2 golems each while everyone else picks up 1. Each tank dumps Anima from his/her golem into a disabled large golem.. One tank taunts a regular golem from someone and kills it to activate a Massive. Move the massive towards the center of the room and dump the anima from all the remaining active (small) golems into the massive. Once the room is clear active small golems. Kill the inactive small golem that's closest to the boss, Hero and burn boss.

The issue we're experiencing is random aggro issues where people lose aggro for no apparent reason. Small golem links to some random dps/healer's golem and kills that person. Now with 2 loose golems, they attack the closest dps/healer kill him/her and so on and so forth. I'm thinking I may need to compartmentalize the strategy and make sure that every single person understands how to aggro these golems. It's difficult to determine exactly what's going on since WOL doesn't show who aggros what...

I capture most of our raids so I can look at the videos and determine these things, but since my back is basically pushed up against the wall, I don't have a good enough view of the room to be able to figure out exactly who was losing aggro. After easily killing Magera, Ji-Kun and Dorumu I just assumed this was going to be an easier fight. I still think it is, we just haven't been able to get a clean pull...

Thanks again.

Deleted
    Your tactic is pretty much spot on, you just need to have raiders who can admit to their mistakes. If something goes wrong and someone is able to say "My bad, x/y/z happened, i'll fix it by doing a/b/c." Then you'll find your pulls will go a lot better. The key is making sure you understand why you died, don't just go "lolwut wipe, oh well try again."

A cleaner way is to have people bring their smalls over to where you spawned the massive, that way they know where it is and what route to take to avoid activating other smalls.

Random aggro is bad play and either people not getting enough initial aggro or aoe'ing. We always have our 2 melee kill their smalls into a large inactive right away and then grab the healers smalls. This should clean up matters somewhat since the healers are likely to have lowish aggro.

i wouldn't use that strat, especially on your first kill. first off, who cares if everyone stands around for 2 minutes? the single golems do such little damage that it's irrelevant. secondly, many of the ranged can help the tank kill it's first couple golems by simply moving to the middle of the room (but not too close together, of course).

i've not experienced the aggro loss you're talking about, though unless someone dies. is anyone using an immunity or aggro dump out of habit?

Deleted
    What happens quite often after you activate the Massive golem is that people start Matter Swapping (i.e. switch places) - this makes their small golems run after them to the other side of the room - and if there's people in the middle with their own golems they sometimes link and cause problems (that can look like you have people losing aggro - but it is infact golems following the aggro :-)).

The way we avoid that is having the Massive a bit "off center" and not having people stand in a perfect circle around it. Also, if you have enough dps, just kill the small wandering ones while they cross the center of the room.. but that might be a bit too chaotic and stressy.

Communication is important - so ask people who are Matter Swapping announce it so everyone will be aware that there might be small golems running around.