Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Angry I've no idea what I'm doing wrong. (Shadow)

Currently my shadow priest is 474 ilvl. I pull around 47k and top 50k in raids. What the FUCK am I doing wrong? I use reforge lite to reforge to my hit cap and then haste, crit, then mastery. My talents are 3/2/3/3/3/3. My glyphs are mind flay, inner fire/sanctum, and dark binding. Why do I do so LITTLE dps compared to everyone else? I'm doing the right rotation: Devouring Plague @ 3 orbs, Mind blast under 3 orbs, SW: D under 3 orbs/20%, dots, mind flay. What am I doing wrong?!

Problem 1, you're 474 ilvl. Don't expect to do shit for DPS in that gear. I find it unlikely that you will hit any significant breakpoints giving you your major DPS boosts. I don't play a shadow priest at all, but I would venture to say its somewhat gear dependent on getting your stats where they need to be to get your DPS where you're expecting it to be.

Dude I'm having a similar problem. Though I'm main spec Disc and so all my gear is really for that. I have reforged a bit to get it closer to shadow ideal. My talents are fine. My glyphs are fine. I have my priority down to like 95% accuracy (or so I feel). I'm around 500 ilevel and I can't break 60k. I mean I used to hardcore raid and was one of the best hunter dps on my server back in wrath. But shadow is just something I have never been able to play.

It looks like you've got the basic rotation down. Are you refreshing your MF: Insanity at the very end of DP duration to get a full channel of it after DP has already fallen off? As noladrew has stated, you're probably not high enough gear level to get over any haste breakpoints for extra ticks on your dots.

shadow's dps is terrible until you're able to hit at least 12k haste w/ volatile talisman (even though it puts insanity slightly below gcd, it puts you at an otherwise unobtainable ~21k haste DP breakpoint with full procs/cds) or otherwise hit the ~14.4k breakpoint.

at higher haste level, the metagem is around a 10-13% dps increase.

since you have (at ilvl 47whatever) very low haste, and no metagem, your dps will be poop soup.
    Last edited by snaxattax; 2013-07-01 at 06:15 PM.

Poop soup... That's an interesting one.

Stream: twitch.tv/DryeLuLZ
    Twitter: @Dryeqt

Quote Originally Posted by Caladia View Post
    It looks like you've got the basic rotation down. Are you refreshing your MF: Insanity at the very end of DP duration to get a full channel of it after DP has already fallen off? As noladrew has stated, you're probably not high enough gear level to get over any haste breakpoints for extra ticks on your dots.
    I didn't know you could do that. I assumed that MF would be an insanity only during DP, like if you were casting with 1 sec left on DP then in the middle of MF: insanity it would just turn into normal MF.

the base damage of the last mindflay retains the insanity double damage buff, but mastery procs from that final channel do normal mindflay damage. our mastery never snapshots, and only does insanity damage when DP is active on the target.

Deleted
    You can actually do really good DPS with low gear compared to others with similar gear. I was always on top when MGV released with full blues. And please dont tell me others "suck".

47k with that ilvl is just so, so bad. And give us logs. :P Its easy to just say "im doing that while that and Y there" and blabla. For example, when you need to move on some encounter, move WITH your GCD, put up your dots on 1sec before they expire. Spam mindflay as much as possible when you cant do anything else, but remember, mindflay absolutely LAST prio. Do auras for proccs etc etc.

And WTB armory-link. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim View Post
    You can actually do really good DPS with low gear compared to others with similar gear. I was always on top when MGV released with full blues. And please dont tell me others "suck".

47k with that ilvl is just so, so bad. And give us logs. :P Its easy to just say "im doing that while that and Y there" and blabla. For example, when you need to move on some encounter, move WITH your GCD, put up your dots on 1sec before they expire. Spam mindflay as much as possible when you cant do anything else, but remember, mindflay absolutely LAST prio. Do auras for proccs etc etc.

Here's my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...tsuen/advanced
    BTW couldn't enchant bracers due to lack of gold

yep, basically what i anticipated. your ilvl is being inflated by extremely bad item slots (necklace and boot), and your weapon is your lowest ilvl gear.

also, that crit trinket is really shit for shadow. buy the volatile talisman trinket instead of it. at low haste/gear like what you have right now, the trinket proc is extremely strong.

also, no profs is costing you some dps as well.

just keep grinding gear, and use justice->honor turn in to buy the ilvl 476 epic pvp stuff from last season. get whatever pieces have haste on them.

I like power infusion over divine insight.

Deleted
    "Zetsuen : 45859 dps"

On a dummy, without flask, pots, hero etc. No SW: D. Just with your buffs and with your talents active (DI, Insanity). Try specc Power Infusion and simcraft it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joakim View Post

Greatly depends on the fight too. Single target on Feng for exmaple, Shadow was CRAP. Always bottom. Gara'jal? Crap. Spirit Kings? Crap. If you topped meters there, the rest of your raid was majorly underperforming. We scale very well wil multiple targets and we scale well with haste. If those are non-existant, you'll never be topping meters.

As for the OP: Logs will greatly help. We can see if you're actually DOING what you say you are. Also, DI isn't necessarily the correct choice. Whilst most SP's will have it as their default choice, at lower gear levels, ToF might actually be a better choice, as could PI be if you use it properly. DI shines when you get more haste, since you get more ticks on SWP and more ticks that could proc master, which, in turn, can proc DI.

Your haste still is VERY low. As stated earlier, your gear gets inflated by items that do not have native haste. They're not necessarily BAD, they just aren't great. The enchant on your boots should be Haste. Pandaren's step will rarely provide you with the speed boost, since you channel a lot of MF and you should be able to use feathers if need be. You could, alternatively, take Body and Soul to also get a bit of a buffer to save you.

Gemming should not be straight haste (yet). This rquires you to have a lot more Spellpower. Think 30k Spellpower raidbuffed, which you'll get at around 505 ilvl. Keep gemmin Brilliants, Reckless and Purified gems in red, yellow and blue sockets respectively.

Most of the issues are just gear and practice

Deleted
    So many posts about talents and glyphs and gear....

If your DPS is far lower than it should be, you won't double it by messing with reforges or changing some talents round or gems, etc. You also won't double it by reaching "haste breakpoints".

In order of effectiveness towards your dps: playstyle / rotation >>>>> gear > reforging, talents, etc...

Are you using Mind Blast on cooldown like you have OCD on crack? Are you keeping your dots up? Are you wasting orbs? Make sure you're doing all those things right first, then look to gems and stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stiglet is absolutely correct for this. Try downloading the world of logs client and run a full log during one of your raids. The log will help you identify problem areas in your dps, and lets you figure out a way to fix them.

If you have no experience with reading logs, take a look at Arlee's post on H2P here for a guide to interpreting them.

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    So many posts about talents and glyphs and gear....

If your DPS is far lower than it should be, you won't double it by messing with reforges or changing some talents round or gems, etc. You also won't double it by reaching "haste breakpoints".

In order of effectiveness towards your dps: playstyle / rotation >>>>> gear > reforging, talents, etc...

Are you using Mind Blast on cooldown like you have OCD on crack? Are you keeping your dots up? Are you wasting orbs? Make sure you're doing all those things right first, then look to gems and stuff.
    Hey look, useful information! I've said this a few times on these forums, but people don't like hearing they stink, they think its their gear. Your dps won't drastically improve because you change your gemming/gearing. Actual gemming/reforging for a newer player won't really do much at all. But learning how to clip mf and how to MB on cd will.
    Last edited by Drye; 2013-07-02 at 10:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drye View Post
    But learning how to clip mf and how to MB on cd will.
    I hardly think learning how to clip MF will significantly improve DPS. Latency alone can mess that up. And even if it does work, what will you actually gain in terms of DPS? 2 full Mind Flays for an entire encounter?

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    I hardly think learning how to clip MF will significantly improve DPS. Latency alone can mess that up. And even if it does work, what will you actually gain in terms of DPS? 2 full Mind Flays for an entire encounter?
    learning how to not clip the first tick can easily amount to a decent dps increase. Specially when hes doing less dps than people did on ultraxion last expansion.

The problem is almost always weak MB usage (nowhere near on CD) and weak dot up times (get a dot tracker of some sort set up and pay more attention to them) if dps is actually bad rather than just trying to go from good to exceptional. I agree that worrying about reforges and regemming is not going to yield much at all and a much better focus on the fundamentals is in order.

Even proper MF clipping and 6-sec SWD usage will only do so much if even the basics are way off.