Can someone explain to me Blacksmithing and its perks? Worth it?

I hear that BS is one of the best professions for PvP as it adds an extra socket to bracer and belt. For this does it mean that it adds any kind of socket or allowing you to put any gem you want? Isn't BS rather expensive to level? I have no idea why BS is so popular, what are the perks to it aside from its socket bonus? I don't know what professions to do on my Warrior but I have 600 LW and Enchanting on my other toons so I thought I'd give BS a try but is it worth it?

Deleted
    Gloves + wrists. It allows you to put any gem in the sockets bar meta/sha-touched gems. It allows the most flexibility out of any profession (Most others only grant 1 stat, BS can choose any).

10+ Year Old Account
    whats there to explain? BS gives you 2 extra prismatic sockets, you can put any gems there exept meta gems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blacksmithing got way easier to level. Not sure how it is in Pandaria, but in Cata it didn't take me long to get my death knight's skill up to 525. Going from 525 to 600 was pretty painless, and the gear you make leveling the trade up is actually pretty good (the random stats are never useless combinations).

It adds prismatic sockets to wrists and gloves for the price of 4 fluxes. It's considered the best because it adds flexibility. You can add any stat to your character that is a gem cut, while the other professions just give you an increase to either strength, intellect, and agility. Jewelcrafting is the only other profession that is flexible in a similar way, except you require gear with sockets to take advantage (something you won't find on lower item level gear).

You can see all profession perks here: link

BS has the most flexible and reliable perks, since you can get +2 gems of any kind (not meta or sha).

It's also worth noting that for PvP in particular Blacksmithing allows you to get extra Resilience/Power, while no other profession does.

You can gem +640 Resilience in your gloves/bracers, whereas other professions only give +320 to a main stat. Is 320 Intellect better than 640 Resilience? Guess it would depend on the class/comp you run, but I'd say there's a high chance the resil is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    It's also worth noting that for PvP in particular Blacksmithing allows you to get extra Resilience/Power, while no other profession does.

You can gem +640 Resilience in your gloves/bracers, whereas other professions only give +320 to a main stat. Is 320 Intellect better than 640 Resilience? Guess it would depend on the class/comp you run, but I'd say there's a high chance the resil is better.
    Resil depends on IF he has JC. To say that no other profession gives this is a lie. Sorry, but it is. JC has good combinations that will help gem, but to make a statement like this doesn't make sense.

BS - 2 sockets.. 1 to gloves/one to wrist(as others has stated)
    JC - Gives pure stat OR stat/pvp power OR stat/pvp resilience

If you were to look at it another way:
    BS/JC = sockets (if by pure stat) will be 640 (basing on pure stat gem AND the 2 sockets to hold them, 2 Serpent Eye's)

However, the reason this is a good combination is that IF you want to use (based on gemming) combination, there is a narrow field to what gems from the Serpent Eye's you can use (again mentioned above). Either it will be pure stat (and some other secondary, haste, crit, etc..) or stat/pvp power OR stat/resil