Lov level and shield.

So I found today shield on my barb, I was thinking its vendor trash and then I saw tooltip:

Can someone explain me how the hell this is 3,6k damage bonus for me? Even before I put str gem in it was 2,9k damage increase. How? Maybe its silly question but this really bugs me.

When you calculate dps, you average out the dps between your two weapons and then do your calculations, taking into account the additional 15% attack speed. If your weapon has a much lower dps than main weapon you wind up doing less damage per second.

My main hand have over 800 dps. Did not know the damage is average of two weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    My main hand have over 800 dps. Did not know the damage is average of two weapons.
    Ouch. There's your answer then.

It's why DW can be rather non-viable while leveling/early gearing. You need to keep both weapons close in damage, and is often easier to just stick with the best one and throw a shield in the OH... or use a 2H.

Off-hand weapons can't be just "stat sticks".

Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    Ouch. There's your answer then.

It's why DW can be rather non-viable while leveling/early gearing. You need to keep both weapons close in damage, and is often easier to just stick with the best one and throw a shield in the OH... or use a 2H.

Off-hand weapons can't be just "stat sticks".
    This is the precise reason why demon hunters at end game are gimping themselves by dual-wielding (generally). Calamity is vastly superior to other 1-handed weapons so dual wielding Calamity and something else drops your dps due to averaging the damage, and not using calamity is again, gimping.

A shame really since Blizzard really pushes for demon hunters to dual wield with their images of them.

Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    This is the precise reason why demon hunters at end game are gimping themselves by dual-wielding (generally). Calamity is vastly superior to other 1-handed weapons so dual wielding Calamity and something else drops your dps due to averaging the damage, and not using calamity is again, gimping.

A shame really since Blizzard really pushes for demon hunters to dual wield with their images of them.
    dw with DH isn't that much about the dps loss (you can cope a calamity with a danetta and not lose that much damage) but it's more the fact quivers grant you the as bonus you'd have dual wielding, plus a lot of damage stats and vitality which boosts survivability - also dml has a bonus on abilities, hence is a great item while 1hand xbows aren't that great.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    dw with DH isn't that much about the dps loss (you can cope a calamity with a danetta and not lose that much damage) but it's more the fact quivers grant you the as bonus you'd have dual wielding, plus a lot of damage stats and vitality which boosts survivability - also dml has a bonus on abilities, hence is a great item while 1hand xbows aren't that great.
    correct, but it is still sad those "cool" dual shooters suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    correct, but it is still sad those "cool" dual shooters suffer.
    Agree completely
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Always just use a two-hander level reduced req while lvling :> Its the best.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO