Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    Thats far from free.
    If you use lets say 5 stacks of copper bars that value at 50g/stack (just making up numbers) to level up but you mined em yourself you still spend 250g on leveling.
    Just because you farmed the mats on an alt doesn't mean the mats didnt have a value.
    so true, once you have those mats in your bag, they still have the same value of whats on the AH because you could now sell them instead of using them and get the gold in the mail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will generally cost between 5-15k to put it bluntly. Might be higher might be lower, depends on deals you can score and current server economic status

Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    Thats far from free.
    If you use lets say 5 stacks of copper bars that value at 50g/stack (just making up numbers) to level up but you mined em yourself you still spend 250g on leveling.
    Just because you farmed the mats on an alt doesn't mean the mats didnt have a value.
    Well since i didn't have to use all i mined, i sold the remaining mats (which negates the training costs )

Quote Originally Posted by superbotje View Post
    Well since i didn't have to use all i mined, i sold the remaining mats (which negates the training costs )
    Well, apart from training costs, the post still stands.
    Lets say i have 1000 dollars to start with.
    I value my time at 100 dollars an hour.

Now my living room needs a new coat of paint.
    I could hire someone (you buying mats from the AH) which would costs me 500 dollars.
    I keep working, earning 500 dollars back in the same time which evens me out to my initial 1000.

OR

I pick up the paintbrush myself, it takes me 5 hours to complete the job.
    Since i didn't work that specific 5 hours i didn't gain any money but i didn't have any costs either.
    I still end up with my 1000 dollars.

Whether you do it yourself or 'hire' someone to farm your materials doesn't matter.
    The materials you gained still have the same value that you refused to pay.

I don't remember what it cost, but I felt like it was the easiest and cheapest crafting profession that I have ever leveled, and fun, too! The only part(s) I hated were Jeeves and the chopper.

I bought everything and it cost me right around 8.5k, but I made 10k from selling the stuff that I made. So, technically, I made 1500 by leveling engineering. (Note: This was done on a high population server. You may not be able to sell back as much on a low pop one.)

Think I did pretty well on my server. Did it for second time and think I ended at around 3-4k. Though when I did in Wotlk on dk it was pretty expensive :P

Well farming mats = not paying for them = free? Sure they still have a value on your local auction house but you still gathered the materials with out paying anything besides the mining professions levels.

FC - 2234-7580-4322
    Ingame - Mille
    DS name - Groggen

Quote Originally Posted by insectoid View Post
    My advice farm alot of mats by urself. Cause i paid like 40k for my engi.

I paid around 20k straight up on Nagrand but i agree with insectoid, if you have a high level miner, it is hands down better to farm your own mats. However, that is server dependant.