Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

World of Warcraft going F2P

Well I've just had a chat with my friend 'bout the news at the front page...
    The main thing we discussed is the "Enduring Elixir of Wisdom"
    We know it is an item shop (which more or less) indicates that Blizzard is slowly turning WoW into something that reminds us of F2P mmo games.

What if they created LFR for that purpose as well? :P
    What d oyou guys think 'bout wow becoming F2P?
    Will it be the end? Will it stay there forever?

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Why would they make WoW free to play when they are making roughly $128'000'000/month in subs alone?
    You realize that they won't earn such money forever right?
    My guess is that they are slowly implementing those changes :P why slowly... check the posts below

So much thinking.
    One potion to make leveling from 85 to 90 faster.
    OMG WOW IS GOING F2P.
    Step by step... they will introduce more stuff like that...
    and no the potion won't be restricted only to Asia... think of th money they can earn elsewhere ^^
    Last edited by mmocde15ca192d; 2013-07-04 at 06:47 AM.

You are over thinking this way too much.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

It will be the end, but it definitely isn't happening any time soon. Why the hell would they kill their main cash cow when it is still running at full speed?

10+ Year Old Account
    We dont know anything about the item yet....
    So thats some wild speculation.

Then again, they're one of the few mmo's left with sub payment and they should have enough to go F2P and have a good service.

I'll just wait and see.

Really? the world needed another one of these posts?

Read the blue, it says its not all of wow just select markets... Likely China and Korea where they are getting the most sub drops from.

I don't think its likely it will go F2P in the US or EU.

We know it is an item shop (which more or less) indicates that Blizzard is slowly turning WoW into something that reminds us of F2P mmo games
    So much thinking.
    OMG WOW IS GOING F2P.

I can just imagine it now!

Would have to purchase loot coins from the blizz store.
    next epansion no mounts at all, flight paths cost new currency that you have to purchase from blizz store.
    Virtual servers cause queue times because blizz decides to restructure the way people log into their servers( see http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9377489729), can purchase advanced queue placement with new currency...
    All classes have legendaries, quest items only drop after purchasing a token to gain access to "legendary island" where you begin your quest. Can skip quests by buying from store.

Go for it Blizz!
    Last edited by Schmidz; 2013-07-04 at 06:34 AM.
    No power in the verse can stop me.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it isn't.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would they make WoW free to play when they are making roughly $128'000'000/month in subs alone?

I'd imagine it going F2P in low subscription markets. F2P are quite popular in Asia as it is, it'd be a good move for Blizz.
    Currently playing: Stuff
    YouTube|Hearthstone Decks|Twitter|MyAnimeList

Quote Originally Posted by Dartungar View Post
    So much thinking.
    OMG WOW IS GOING F2P.
    One potion that has a high chance of being restricted to Asia only since they pay per hour and not with EU/US sub model...

10+ Year Old Account
    If WoW goes F2P, it'll probably see a surge in players. Free-play games tend to do very well because of its a la carte approach to offering content. People can buy what they want, ignore what they don't feel is worth the cost, and the base game itself functions as a sort of loss-leader to reel people in (like how shaving companies give you the razor but sell you the blades). When Age of Conan and TOR started tanking, they went free-play and it saved them. Turbine's MMOs went from a sub model to free-play and some of them like LOTR have been going on stronger with an a la carte cash shop for longer than they did while a pay-to-play MMO.

That being said, we have no idea what the ingame shop is or what will be in it. It could be anything from a redesign in their business model in the east (where free-play games are more popular and WoW has been bleeding subs for years; most of the Cata and MoP bleeds have come from Eastern markets) to a streamlined ingame UI to access the Blizz store's pet/mount store and boosts like the XP buff to, yes, an actual ingame store on top of the sub model they're using, in which case the odds we'll see anything but boosts are around the chance a snowball has in Beelzebub's microwave.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Tell me when this happens, to delete all my characters, break ToS and EULA to get permaban and forever leave Wow.

Yeah but only in asia
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

I should think this should be inherently obvious. Asian markets will see WoW go almost entirely F2P before the other markets. The others will most likely then be slowly phased towards it as subscriber numbers drop. When F2P happens, the subscription system will likely still exist as a way to get extra content of some sort, hard to really say what since the MMO market will be very changed by the time that all comes around, which could be 4+ years away easily still.

10+ Year Old Account
    aloooong way to f2p, it that even will occour..
    “We all know interspecies romance is weird.”
    ― Tim Burton

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    THIS^ ... one month of WoW subs makes budget for development of one AAA game for Blizzard. There is absolutely no reason to make WoW f2p.
    "Ubi sementem feceris, ita mettes."

I did have the thought momentarily but no. That whole region thing tells me that it's probably for the Asian market but who knows anything could happen. I think it would just shut down in the future if it's not profitable from subs anymore since that would most likely be years down the line and by that time they'll probably have their next cash cow out by then.

OP, as much as you'd like to see the demise of a game which you once loved, it's not gonna happen soon. they make way too much money as it is now. games go F2P when they don't make enough money with a sub system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Hemet was behind Garrosh's escape and time travel just so he could hunt big game on old Draenor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some markets a store is needed to get enough profit. Asian markets mostly.