10+ Year Old Account

Caster cloak proc vs. melee

Has anyone noticed that the caster cloak proc seems to be quite underwhelming compared to melee?

Let's say next patch a weapon damage for melee is 30k. We're going to see the proc do

30k x .6 = 18k then 18k x 6 = 108k dmg over 3 seconds. In one proc

Then spellcasters

5k + 30k = 35k over 6 seconds total...

Not only do they do over 3 times what ours does, but also in half the time. So if you add proc clipping you could lose even more damage.

Basically the caster cloak either needs to proc 3 times as much. Or needs to scale with sp. Let's say both effects do 100% of a caster sp. Lets put it at 35k sp for next patch

40k + 75k = 115k over 6 seconds total. I would see that being more even.

Also we'd need to take into consideration mastery may increase it's damage. But blizzard may lower the proc for mastery that increases spell dmg done, for those specs.

However if left un-touched the way it is. Unless spell-caster has a 3x higher rppm (which may clip itself and lose more dmg b/c of the dot - Yay ignite munching for EVERYONE) right now it looks as if the spell casters get jipped.

caster one can be used from a distance and is full aoe, the melee one is only in close in front.

Quote Originally Posted by silmarilen View Post
    caster one can be used from a distance and is full aoe, the melee one is only in close in front.
    That's gonna be a problem for hunters if so.

lol i didnt even realise that, how about hunters yeah

10+ Year Old Account
    The caster one cleaves nearby enemies, just like the melee one (yes I understand the melee one is a frontal cleave, but still). Just because it's from a distance, means it should do 3x more damage? I don't think so. There won't be many fights where you'll be aoeing around the boss in a cluster where it'd be worth balancing the proc around it. Most boss fights are still st with adds, but theres never more than 2-3 adds together. Which if they're together melee can cleave as well.

So the reasoning doesn't make for a 3x dmg difference.

lol i didnt even realise that, how about hunters yeah
    Hunter one will probably cleave like the melee one, except the proc will do the weapon damage in melee I guess. Or something along the sorts..Blizzard will figure it out.

Could the cloak legendary scale with SP? The same way weapon damage scales with AP?

You seem to have forgotten armor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    The caster one cleaves nearby enemies, just like the melee one (yes I understand the melee one is a frontal cleave, but still). Just because it's from a distance, means it should do 3x more damage? I don't think so. There won't be many fights where you'll be aoeing around the boss in a cluster where it'd be worth balancing the proc around it. Most boss fights are still st with adds, but theres never more than 2-3 adds together. Which if they're together melee can cleave as well.

So the reasoning doesn't make for a 3x dmg difference.

Hunter one will probably cleave like the melee one, except the proc will do the weapon damage in melee I guess. Or something along the sorts..Blizzard will figure it out.
    We aren't clear on proc rates. For all we know, the caster one could be up for every other spell, with the melee one proccing once a minute.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Hey, I know this is a rare thought...but....why are you posting this HERE instead of ON THE WOW FORUMS so that maybe , just maybe, you know....we can like...get some answers, let the powers that be know, and they can hopefully do something about it before it's just too late and too bad. Makes more sense then a discussion here, which will end in a fight between two people arguing over stupidity.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Hey, I know this is a rare thought...but....why are you posting this HERE instead of ON THE WOW FORUMS so that maybe , just maybe, you know....we can like...get some answers, let the powers that be know, and they can hopefully do something about it before it's just too late and too bad. Makes more sense then a discussion here, which will end in a fight between two people arguing over stupidity.

Funny thing my wow sub ran out today so I can't make it there til friday when I re-sub xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    ptr
    very early ptr
    numbers mean nothing
    I guess ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    I guess ._.
    Well if we can notice this within hours of it being datamined then Blizz certainly knows it as well. Think of this also, for all we know the caster proc spread with aoe, meaning it can be on multiple targets at once. This would require no positioning besides well being in range to aoe. The melee one however requires mobs to be directly in front of them, so there is wiggle room for that. It might come down to the melee one is better single target, with being okay on aoe, while the caster is better on aoe and only small benefit single. (Specially with so many fights having multiple targets this tier it makes sense)