Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by baver View Post
    You could just find a random player on armory and tell them thats your main and this is just an alt
    Better find one with the exact same mini pets and maybe achievement points as you then, otherwise they know you're lying. (Achievement points can be disabled, but the mini pets are the same on every char of yours and you can't disable that).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil View Post
    Better find one with the exact same mini pets and maybe achievement points as you then, otherwise they know you're lying. (Achievement points can be disabled, but the mini pets are the same on every char of yours and you can't disable that).
    Or I can just point at a random player on the US realms, because AFAIK mini pets are region locked.

but I don't want to cheat my way into a run. So no achievement faking, no linking the wrong armory. I AM however considering bribing people.

Quote Originally Posted by Temperance Brennan View Post

but I don't want to cheat my way into a run. So no achievement faking, no linking the wrong armory. I AM however considering bribing people.
    but .. why not most of people in pugs dont check neither acheivement on the char u pug in nor its itlv - u can eaisly put + 7-8 itlv to what u have when whispering pugs and most case they wont notice unless u play poorly - this is how i puged most of my alts when i was still puging them - granted in tohosep ugs u wont clear whole ToT but ull kill 3-4 bosses and ull have some exp to show in application.

esiest solution will be looking for a guiodl that is or has a 2nd or 3rd raid team - just make a topic on wowforums on your realm section and im sure somebody will repsond if your really that eager to learn.

PuG groups aren't for teaching you the fights. If you don't have the experience it's not their fault.

I Just came back 3 weeks ago with Ilvl 489 on my toon I am now 511 and have cleared 6/12 normal. to get in a group I needed Ilvl 498 or better and to voice the fact that I had done lfr and watched the videos. My advice, if you are not a on a high pop server go to one and raid with some 2/12 scrubs for a week get 2 bosses down and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    if you wipe twice, people suddenly forgot they had stuff to do and leave, so you have to pick the best team you can get otherwise you'll spend half your time in trade chat.
    I had to LOL on that one, so true it's painful. After 2nd 3rd wipe "Oh I just remember I'm having dinner with grandma today,sorry guys!" Or the generic "I don't have time for this!" Though I understand it to some degree, I joined a MSV pug once that was promising a 6/6 clear. After 6 wipes on the Stone Guard it was clear neither of the tanks knew any of the fights and the best the Pug leader could offer them is "you gotta taunt that shit".

To the OP, I do recommend you try putting together a pug yourself. You will most likely understand then why people want some experience. Unless you can find 10 people who are willing to come together weekly and work on progression together, at which point you have a informal guild. Like others have said, finding a 4/12 or 6/12 guild and offering to be a substitue is a good way to get experience. I purposely joined a guild that was 5/12 on a alt because I figured their standards would be low on letting someone sub in (what they didn't know is I was already 12/12 at the time) and a month later that guild is now 10/12 (not because of me) and I started with them with a 501 ilvl

You're on the most populated\progressed EU server there is. Something seems really wrong that you can't find a Pug or Guild that you can get some kills with. You should be able to throw together a fail group that should be able to get the first 2-3 bosses down
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-07-05 at 12:38 PM.

That thing exist only in wow. The first big mmo where it can happen.

Another key point is that you can watch all the videos and read all the strats, and it's still no substitute for actually DOING it. The videos you see are usually the Xth pull of the boss kill, not the first couple of pulls where nobody was really sure how things would play out, so videos usually make the fights look much easier than they are. Text strats are worse because it doesn't give you a real visual of anything, so you might know that the boss uses Death Ray at 50% health, but have no idea what it looks like.

There is NO substitute for actually seeing the fight firsthand and, more often than not, wiping at least once to go "Oh okay so THAT'S what Death Ray looks like, I understand now" and then you know what to look for.

Should you expect a pug to teach you everything? Very doubtful except in some extreme cases (a noob-friendly pug designed to teach, which is as rare as hen's teeth but can happen), but the typical pug has no patience and is a selfish ass anways so that's expected. On the flip side though, it should be expected that if you get into a pug and you say that you've seen videos but not done the fight, that somebody should explain a quick "Yeah Death Ray is a frontal cone, so when he's about to hit 50% make sure you're not in front of him" kind of thing to clarify the mechanics based on real-life experience not watching a video that was recorded after umpteen attempts to show the kill.

15+ Year Old Account
    What's AotC? :/

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    What's AotC? :/
    Ahead of the Curve, I'm guessing. I.e. kill normal mode Lei Shen before the next raid is released.

I really have to level an alt on soe eng speaking server, the amount of horrible experience takl from healthy (population wise) servers is just too much to just watch. I play on mostly one sided (horde) and one language(CZ/SK) server and not having problems to go into almost any PuG if I have decent gear, I even scored 2 normal kills on my horrible geared Tank ( http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...forth/advanced ) where I left after Jinrok because it cant take more atm.

Its just how you talk to the PuG leader and how hard is to form pug at the time (no one is likely to kick/decline when they form pug at 23:00 trying a night run).
    Another already mentioned is starting your own pug, dont expect to require any EXP (as you dont have them) or gear higher than yours (510 can beat 12/12), you can get lucky and score more than you expect or at least 1/12 (come on, everyone is capable killing Jinrok today)

Deleted
    that's because the valor gear is not that good for ret, actually. it might be higher itemlevel, but if I can get a 502 or even a 516 with haste, it's better than a 522 w/o haste.
    Why do people overvalue secondaries so much? Going up 20 ilvls in a slot is massive, 22% more stats on it or something. Only in extreme cases would a 20 ilvl lower item be better. Thinking set bonus, haste dot/hot cap or perhaps a certain spec that scales really well with 1 stat (like warrior or fire mage crit?). Strongly doubt ret has this.

I have stamina gems because the only other option is hit gems. I can drop my cloak reforge, but it would basically put me 40 rating below cap or 20 rating above cap.
    So the choice is either wasting 20 hit above cap or wasting 320 of your statbudget to stamina, and you went for the stamina... why exactly?

might wanna go knock some normal msv,hof,toes on openraid to get some raiding experience going then go find a decent friday/saturday alt run ToT(maybe some guild if they are nice)
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

I don't know anything about EU servers. But maybe you're just in a server filled with immature people. PErhaps you should find a server that accomodates your style more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by baver View Post
    You could just find a random player on armory and tell them thats your main and this is just an alt
    That's pretty awesome and i've never thought about doing it, to be honest.
    Just hope that person isn't coming online anytime soon, or hope they don't ask you to log on it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmajix View Post
    I Just came back 3 weeks ago with Ilvl 489 on my toon I am now 511 and have cleared 6/12 normal. to get in a group I needed Ilvl 498 or better and to voice the fact that I had done lfr and watched the videos. My advice, if you are not a on a high pop server go to one and raid with some 2/12 scrubs for a week get 2 bosses down and go from there.
    That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm currently on Kazzak EU Horde, which is one of the biggest servers this side of the atlantic, as you could see from my armory. I got higher itemlevel now than you had when you came back, without doing any normal raids, I state the same facts as you do, I got between 4 and 13 kills on every LFR boss.

I think the next pug I'll attempt to join, I'll offer 500G for the guild bank for every wipe they can prove comes from me not knowing the fight, either through attacking the wrong target, dying to something easily avoidable, of causing someone elses death by bad play. just good old fashioned bribing.

And folks wonder why LFR is so popular.

I think the next pug I'll attempt to join, I'll offer 500G for the guild bank for every wipe they can prove comes from me not knowing the fight, either through attacking the wrong target, dying to something easily avoidable, of causing someone elses death by bad play. just good old fashioned bribing.
    I do not intent to demoralize you, but as a Raid leader (and sometime PuG leader) I would assume that you are going to wipe us many times, just because you have money and informed us that can happen, and fairly, the time of one wipe to 10 people is worth more than 500. If you have money than bribe some 25 guild to carry you through 12/12 or if you really have loads of gold or willing to spend € than i bet some officers wouldnt mind carring you 13/13H...

Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post
    So the choice is either wasting 20 hit above cap or wasting 320 of your statbudget to stamina, and you went for the stamina... why exactly?
    That's a tough one in some regards. At the end of the day, they could have left the item ungemmed and it wouldn't make a hill of beans difference in the grand scheme of things. At the same time, there's never a reason to gem stam as a dps. When I see someone who's gemmed stam I normally say "There is someone who probably doesn't know how to play" or "they play poorly" I could be completely wrong and they would be great, but that kinda gemming is going to scare folks away.

And as you pointed out, 20 over hit cap versus a completely useless stat screams the wrong things to people who are inspecting.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-07-05 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    That's a tough one in some regards. At the end of the day, they could have left the item ungemmed and it wouldn't make a hill of beans difference in the grand scheme of things. At the same time, there's never a reason to gem stam as a dps. When I see someone who's gemmed stam I normally say "There is someone who probably doesn't know how to play" or "they play poorly" I could be completely wrong, but that kinda gemming is going to scare folks away.

And as you pointed out, 20 over hit cap versus a completely useless stat screams the wrong things to people who are inspecting.
    In ToT gear it is hard to be less than 1000 hit over-cap. Comes from having a BiS trinket with over 1500 hit rating on it.