Looking for some input on new lock + challenge modes

Hello all, ive chosen a lock to be my 3rd toon to get gold CM gear on, ive done it twice now as a prot pally and a resto shaman, and now want to try a dps. I dont have too much experience on my lock yet (just hit 90 yesterday). Ive only ever played demo and havent touched any other spec, luckily ive read demo is pretty decent in 5 mans.

I do have some things id like to understand if anyone could explain to me.
    So ive never really played a dot class, and when it comes to trash in instances im not totally sure the best rout is to do maximum dps, do i just start off by putting corruption on all targets (as well as going into meta to use doom as well?), then just shadow bolt/cant remember the spell name for the molten core proc >.< whenever it procs, as well as hand of guldan? I think ive gotten the single target rotation down so thats not the problem. But i need a lot of help it feels like for all the trash pulls which is most important in CM's.

Learning quickly isnt difficult for me, its just hard to find a sort of guide to teach yourself when you need to learn how to do 5 mans and be new at the class, since most are just for boss/single target situations.

Demo is good for CM, but I would say that Destro is even better. That's the spec I chose in order to do them, and it felt really easy with it.

If you really want to play demo though, you could just cast corruption on every mob, stack 2 hog (you must throw the second one when there is only 2s left on shadowflame in order to maximize its DPS), then meta just before the second HoG lands, hellfire and void ray.

Remember that you want to put corruption to generate demonic fury, not really for its damage. So if you're at 1000 DF and want a quick burst, just go straight into meta.

Doom is only to be cast on the strongest mobs, who will last for at least 30s.

Those are a rough estimation, someone might wanna give you some better insight.

Destruction is the least gear dependent spec of the three you have, so tbh i would go with that.. I have always been loving affliction but since my lock alt just turned 90, i've been going destro.. The 20% dps difference i'm doing is just to much to say no to..
    Also, it's a very easy spec to play, so you should be able to jump right in to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cluasen View Post
    Destruction is the least gear dependent spec of the three you have, so tbh i would go with that.. I have always been loving affliction but since my lock alt just turned 90, i've been going destro.. The 20% dps difference i'm doing is just to much to say no to..
    Also, it's a very easy spec to play, so you should be able to jump right in to it!
    I think demo will have a higher dps count regardless of gear scaling as long as they have a UVLS for boss mobs. It should really make a difference.

That being said if you don't have it destro is the way to go. It's an easy rotation, with lots of mobility in KJC. Good shields heals and absorbs to go with it make you an awesome contender for CM's.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Proc rate of UVLS scaled to 463 is extremely low, coupled with RRPM you can't plan to use it either. Destro was kinda meh when I was doing them, but since RoF ember change it is really nice. Demo have still good aoe/cleave and provide aoe interrupt, and can burst with Dark Soul and Imps higher than Destro could ever achieve (very important on final boss in brewery for example).

Welcome to what is imho the best class in the game!
    For your CM consideration:
    Destro -
    I did my run as Destro in 5.1 before the buffs to basically everything. Destro is a little weaker on some of the trash packs (for instance if you are pulling packs of 3-4) but on larger packs where you can continuously AoE without running out of embers it is really amazing. Since you have gold run experience, you know there are only a few times where you are only pulling single packs.
    Single target, you can pull well over 100k dps with embers saved up for bosses. You will be hard pressed to find a class that can outdps a Destro lock on the Sha in SPM with the ridiculous +dmg buff.
    For pet management, the Shivarra/Succubus has invisibility which can aleviate the need to dismiss/resummon your pet constantly. Also has an AoE knockback now which could be handy.

Demo-
    Demo is a more complex spec to play, but if you master it, your burst AoE (which is 90% of CM as you know) is insane.
    Grimoire of Service: Felstorm, Felstorm, HoGx2, Immo Aura and void raid = 300k+ on the big pulls. Mannaroth's fury is really helpful as the mobs will 1 shot you with cleave abilities in some of the dungeons if you are in melee range to hellfire/immo aura.
    Demo was weaker single target on bosses that had high health pools and you will be spending more time hard summoning your pet after jumps/invis pots.

Both:

On that note, the big change from what your used to will be pet management. Jumping down ledges to skip trash can be fatal if your pet runs through all the trash trying to get to you. You probably know this from all the hunters/locks wiping your group in the past, but pets don't jump down they take actual paths. You will have several instances where you will have to dismiss your pet, then hardcast a resummon otherwise your pet will go the long way pulling everything you were trying to skip. Ditto for invis pots. Both specs are completely viable for CM. If you just want gold, Destro might be the quickest spec to play at gold level starting from scratch on the class. If you are going for server/world firsts you will have to look at each dungeon on a case by case basis, but will find Demo to have a little more utility (being able to taunt, knockback, axe toss etc) and more burst AoE, but at a much higher skillcap.

One tactic that can save you a tiny bit of time with the pets when you have to jump down a level is to put your pet on "stay" in a safe spot. Jump down, then cast Eye of Kilrogg. Cancel it immediately and your pet will respawn on top of you. Saves about 2 seconds but sometimes those count.

Deadalus - Hellscream