Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would you like to see old tiers updated?

Hi guys, this is my first thread on MMO Champion.
    I would love to know if you guys would like to see the old tiers 1-6 (or 1-10?) updated?
    It's quite clear that we are in fact getting some swanky new models for our characters, and I believe they may have to update the old tiers with them, not straight away of course but soon after the models get implemented. I've noticed that with recent armor models even dungeon gear has what looks like painted on textures. When I noticed this I realized that the armor was and even the new models like Vol'jin's and the Council of Elders bosses even Garrosh's newest model coming in 5.4 bear a very similar look to the the official artwork of the game.

It would be cool to look like this:

Instead of this on new models:

Don't get me wrong I still think the old tiers look fantastic today hence why we still transmog them and love them so much. But maybe that's because we enjoy the design more than the model.
    Please let me know what you think.
    Should the old tiers be updated?

When you make a new character, the character creation displays the classes in, basically, updated versions of old gear. I would love it if they made transmog-only versions of old tier with updated graphics and kept the old ones. Hell, I'd even love just the ones from the character creation screen.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

No, it'd be a waste of the "arts team" time. They need to concentrate on new tier, the new expansion etc they shouldn't waste their time with old tiers that look great. There's no real reason to go update them, if you don't like them don't wear them. Updating the tiers runs a risk of changing them and making them look to different and that'll just create a shit storm that Blizzard doesn't really need. Also I'm fairly sure a large portion of players will agree that TBC still remains by far the best looking Tiers across the board. New tiers are very hit and miss, they go from awesome to complete shit tier to tier imo at least.

Yes perhaps they'll make it separate from the old tiers, but that would make me feel like I'm wearing a fake version of it.
    If we aren't going to be able to keep our old player models why would they keep the old tiers?

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    When you make a new character, the character creation displays the classes in, basically, updated versions of old gear. I would love it if they made transmog-only versions of old tier with updated graphics and kept the old ones. Hell, I'd even love just the ones from the character creation screen.
    No they don't, I just double checked to make sure and the only class that you could make an argument for is the rogue starter set looks like an ugly Tier 1 "remake".

Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    No, it'd be a waste of the "arts team" time. They need to concentrate on new tier, the new expansion etc they shouldn't waste their time with old tiers that look great. There's no real reason to go update them, if you don't like them don't wear them. Updating the tiers runs a risk of changing them and making them look to different and that'll just create a shit storm that Blizzard doesn't really need. Also I'm fairly sure a large portion of players will agree that TBC still remains by far the best looking Tiers across the board. New tiers are very hit and miss, they go from awesome to complete shit tier to tier imo at least.
    I agree that they should focus on the future. But you have to understand that their art team is big enough to handle both. I do like the old tiers they're the best armor in the game for me. But I would like to see them looking closer to the artwork. They're changing our "beloved" old models. So why wouldn't they work on this as a side thing like our models? They ran the same risk with updating our old models and with the sneak peek at the orc male model with Garrosh people are loving it and want these new models to happen more than before. Sometimes you have to take risks to fully see the benefits. Why on earth do you think they would dramatically change the original design? They did it with tier 3.

Yeah they did "update" tier 3 recolors and slight remakes in T7/7.5 and it was one of the worst looking tiers ever so I'm glad you brought up a good reason for them not to do it. The arts team is big enough, do you work there? If not how would you know this ? They seem plenty busy with all the new stuff they're doing to waste time on stuff people all ready love. Also armor matters quite a bit more then the character model imo. When you're playing your character how the armor looks is the biggest thing you'll be able to see, sure the skeleton makes it so some movements will be more fluid but having a better skeleton for the face / hands and most other body parts won't make a huge difference you spend most of the time looking at the back of your character anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    No they don't, I just double checked to make sure and the only class that you could make an argument for is the rogue starter set looks like an ugly Tier 1 "remake".
    Shaman set is a revamped and updated version of the Ten Storms set. Warlock is a revamped and updated version of the cloth heirlooms (I forget their original name and such). Paladin is an altered and updated Justicar set, in essence. Mage is an updated version of vanilla greens. Hunter is an updated version of "mountaineer" armor.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Shaman set is a revamped and updated version of the Ten Storms set. Warlock is a revamped and updated version of the cloth heirlooms (I forget their original name and such). Paladin is an altered and updated Justicar set, in essence. Mage is an updated version of vanilla greens. Hunter is an updated version of "mountaineer" armor.
    Mage is from the dungeon 1 sets
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

Deleted
    Ho god please......No more Judgement & Lightbringer sets!
    It has nearly 50% of plate classes wearing those sets.
    I can't stand it anymore!

With the release of the new models, I think it would only be right for them to do this one day. They can have a small team devoted to it while the rest of the team works on the new stuff. Reworking old sets, while labor intensive, won't be near as hard as coming up with a new tier from scratch. If time allows, I say why the hell not. Then on to some of these weapons...

It would be nice, but there'd be no way for Blizzard to introduce them without people screaming "rehash".

Deleted
    waste of resources imo, better keep on making new ones,
    for example I would love that raid tiers were unique, not that every non-tier epic share the model with them.

Don't say that! That will give them an excuse to be lazy.

No, no updating of the old tiers.

We've all learned from George Lucas what happens when you constantly keep tinkering with your old work that didn't need to be fixed in the first place.

New versions of the old tiers that pay homage to the old ones? Now we're talking.

No the shaman set is quite different, lock starter gear looks *maybe* similar to dungeon set 1. Paladin isn't close. Vanilla greens ? Now you're branching off into non sets and you could make an argument that almost anything looks like something from the past. As bite said the mage resembles dungeons set one I guess I overlooked that but I was looking at tiers rather then any piece of gear and really the starter sets don't look all that much better in quality anyway. Same with the hunter one, doesn't resemble any sets.

Edit: I shouldn't call it starter gear as its just for looks when you make your character, you still start with ugly plain gear.
    Last edited by re1gn1te; 2013-07-06 at 05:35 PM.

Even though its already been done. Id like to see a remake of T3

An update of old tier gear sets? No, definitely not. GC has commented it takes an artist a full month to create one complete set of gear for one class. Assuming all tiers, all classes, that would be somewhere around 150 artist-months just to update old content. Absolutely not a wise use of resources if you ask me.

Maybe some of the fan favorites could make a return for some really cool set in the future, like the Paladin set above. If you're asking about literally going back to all the gear that currently drops in MC, BWL, Naxxramas, etc etc - transmog stuff, basically - and updating that, then no, hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post
    An update of old tier gear sets? No, definitely not. GC has commented it takes an artist a full month to create one complete set of gear for one class. Assuming all tiers, all classes, that would be somewhere around 150 artist-months just to update old content. Absolutely not a wise use of resources if you ask me.

Maybe some of the fan favorites could make a return for some really cool set in the future, like the Paladin set above. If you're asking about literally going back to all the gear that currently drops in MC, BWL, Naxxramas, etc etc - transmog stuff, basically - and updating that, then no, hell no.
    A month if you're starting from scratch, remember.

Simply updating an existing set wouldn't take nearly as long.

15+ Year Old Account
    Exactly this. I would appreciate it if they just upped the resolution on the old sets. Even with max settings I can see some pixelation in the texture due to it not being created at a time when hi-res armor was an option.