Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Blood Tank Stat "Builds"

Ok, I've been using a Mastery>Stam>Str>Parry=Dodge>Exp/Hit build and its been working pretty well, but I've been seeing what I believe is a Str>Parry=Dodge>Stam>Mastery>Exp/Hit build, and I was wondering pro's versus cons of using each?

Or if both are wrong and there's a better way to go about it.

Like I said, my current build is working pretty well(worked up to and including Animus normal) but if there's something better I'd like to hop on it and get it going.

(I usually pull about 60-80k dps with my current build.)

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't think of a situation where parry & dodge would thrump mastery. I'd go with hit/exp cap > mastery > haste > exp hard > parry > dodge for 10n.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraeth View Post
    I can't think of a situation where parry & dodge would thrump mastery. I'd go with hit/exp cap > mastery > haste > exp hard > parry > dodge for 10n.
    This (IMO) is the only 'build' a blood dk should be using at this point.

Deleted
    Crit might work out better then the exp hard cap.
    Hit/Exp soft cap > Mastery > Haste > Crit > Exp hard cap > Parry > Dodge

Soul Reaper benefits of the Exp hard cap, but crit will improve your dps all fight long.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragnoran View Post
    Crit might work out better then the exp hard cap.
    Hit/Exp soft cap > Mastery > Haste > Crit > Exp hard cap > Parry > Dodge

Soul Reaper benefits of the Exp hard cap, but crit will improve your dps all fight long.
    Yeah, that's true. I wouldn't really go for crit over parry, though it prolly would be just fine for normals.

Question though is, would you gem for straight stam, or would you aim for socket bonuses?

and yes I know I sound like a complete and total noob, its just I hate the math side too it, if I could play just as good without it I would but I know I can't.

You should only gem for straight stam when you die because of one-hits.

Otherwise blue slots are nicely outfitted with mast/stam gems if the socket bonus is nice (hint: a dodge bonus, isn't nice).

Deleted
    Someone made a great topic on MMO-Champion about avoidance, if I recall correctly: avoidance is usefull after 50% total. (just can't seem to find it)
    We won't reach that, so it might be better to go for pure mastery instead of mastery/stamina gems, more control.

I tested some builds:
    1. Hit<-exp soft cap<-master<-haste<<<-dodge<-parry
    2.hit<-exp soft cap<-mastery 10k unbuffed<-haste<<<-dodge<-parry
    3.exp hard cap<-hit<haste<-stamina<<<-mastery<-crit(100% uptime from fallen crusader, 30%+ haste, crit 10-20%, mastery 4k)
    4.hit<-exp soft cap<-stamina<-mastary<-dodge<-parry(36%avoidance 1m hp full buffed)

currently using 3 and 4.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been hearing a lot about how exp isn't that important for DKs. I've been going hit soft > Mastery = Stam > Dodge = Parry > Haste > Exp and I haven't had any issues. (10N up to animus)

Expertise isn't an issue for survivability (DS always heals and blood shield always procs) but for TpS and DpS it's still important.

Quote Originally Posted by Judic View Post
    I've been hearing a lot about how exp isn't that important for DKs. I've been going hit soft > Mastery = Stam > Dodge = Parry > Haste > Exp and I haven't had any issues. (10N up to animus)
    You're still supposed to get exp soft cap.
    Also ... normal mode animus? seriously? Everything works there...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    You're still supposed to get exp soft cap.
    Also ... normal mode animus? seriously? Everything works there...
    Well someone is a little high on themselves.. sorry i'm not as far as you.

I'll look into getting more exp if people do recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Judic View Post
    Well someone is a little high on themselves.. sorry i'm not as far as you.
    I'm just repeating myself here, but well: I feel irritated by people like you who post bad stat priorities in a thread where people ask for advice when all you have to show for is lfr level raiding experience.
    Sure it works for you but a decent dk wouldd still be able to do tank that content level in plate int/spirit gear.

15+ Year Old Account
    Belittling people rarely accomplishes anything. You're right though, parry soft cap is pretty much as important as hit cap. I'm not sure where all this stamina-talk is coming from, it's useless unless you're dead within 2-3 globals and that shouldn't be the case unless you're rolling with 463 gear. Mastery is way, way better stat to gem, and like said before, if the socket bonuses are good there's no reason to go for them.

Been seeing a lot of conflicting ideas across multiple tanking forums. I was a fairly hardcore HM raider through BC, Wrath and Cata and have recently gotten into MOP. I am looking to begin progressing with a guild that has a few heroics down and is starting to get to the more difficult ones in TOT and I am just trying to see what the best way to gear, reforge and gem.

Currently sitting at a 512 ilvl and going by the stat priority Hit=>Exp soft cap>Mastery>Dodge/Parry>Haste.

I am considering starting to reforge some avoidance for haste but not sure yet. Any advice on other Blood DKs around the same progression is much appreciated.

If you're 10m always go for haste over avoidance. AS for 25m that's up to you and the raid to decide but I'd generally still aim to go for some haste (around 3-4k ish)

Discussed this with a few people a few time ago and we came to the conclusion that avoidance is just garbage.

Try this:
    7.5% hit > 7.5% expertise > mastery up to 200% > haste > mastery over 200% > etc

Although I don't recommend, you can skip the 7.5 expertise, it only makes your heart/death strike unable to be dodged (heart strike can still be parried).
    I believe you should still go with avoidance until you can get 200% mastery easily, which requires something like 535 ilvl at least.

EDIT:
    You can check on wowprogress what the top geared blood dk's are doing with their gear. You can also search for people with almost the same ilvl as you and compare.
    Last edited by SLOWLLY; 2013-07-08 at 03:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what I run as well.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    So the general consensus is Hit 7.5% > Exp 7.5% > Mastery > Stamina > Haste > Dodge/Parry > Exp 15%? For 10 man at least? My raid leader uses askmrrobot.com as basically gospel and I need some feedback to give him about this. I am not trying to hijack this thread, and if I do I'm sorry but I feel that this pretty much pertains to what the main topic is about. Thanks in advance for any advice.