Poll: Do you think in today's Western Modern Society, Brothels should be legalised?

Page 30 of 107 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The reality is that many nations - some, not all - who have legalized prostitution have been able to take significant steps to stamping out undesirable practices in the sex trade. Similar to those that have legalized drugs.
    http://www.theatlanticcities.com/pol...titution/5072/

Amsterdam’s haste is understandable. It may be well policed and eye-poppingly unusual, but the city’s central red light district still feels like a place where women’s hopes go to die. Around 75 percent of the 5,000 to 8,000 prostitutes working in the city are from abroad, and many are believed to have been trafficked. Holland legalized prostitution in 2000 as a way of stopping exploitation, but evidence suggests that more women than ever are being forced into brothels against their will. A study from the London School of Economics published this winter found that in countries where selling sex was decriminalized, human trafficking has increased. While the number of women entering prostitution voluntarily grows under legalization, demand grows yet further, creating a shortfall filled by women trafficked and run by pimps.
    Your claim is bogus. Most countries that legalized it have seen an increase in exploitation and trafficking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Your claim is bogus. Most countries that legalized it have seen an increase in exploitation and trafficking.
    Amsterdam does not constitute "most countries".

And again, it points to a need to tighten up regulation, not ban prostitution. If you ban it, you lose the ability to enact -effective- regulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    People don't rape to get sex though. I doubt legalized brothels would help much in that regard.
    Lets not go down this road again....

Yes they should be.

Deleted
    Cybran is right. Currently brothels are just a step in the abuse process and i am pretty sure the proper working ones are quite rare.
    Thing is, legalised prostitution used to work in a different world a few years ago. Not now in this global economy thing. That's the reason why currently places like holland and Germany saw the human trafficking trade grow unchecked, while places like Sweden (it's not illegal to sell your body but its illegal to buy the service), saw the demand diminish and slavers leave for more profitable shores.

Yes, I do believe an extremely well checked brothel system would improve the situation. Unfortunately though that would boost the prices of services up too I guess AND yes that would be actually better for human traffickers. Mmmh it's not easy. But I guess, putting aside the revolting "it's a free world I can do what I want who are you to tell me blabla" argument which actually physically makes me vomit, we should do all that we can to try and address the plague of human trafficking. If that means takin the "Swedish" approach, then so be it.

- - - Updated - - -

And again, it points to a need to tighten up regulation, not ban prostitution. If you ban it, you lose the ability to enact -effective- regulation.
    What countries do you refer to then? Germany is pretty high in the charts too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Cybran is right. Currently brothels are just a step in the abuse process and i am pretty sure the proper working ones are quite rare.
    Thing is, legalised prostitution used to work in a different world a few years ago. Not now in this global economy thing. That's the reason why currently places like holland and Germany saw the human trafficking trade grow unchecked, while places like Sweden (it's not illegal to sell your body but its illegal to buy the service), saw the demand diminish and slavers leave for more profitable shores.
    Cybran is rarely if ever right. What the situation calls for is increased regulation and oversight.

Yes, I do believe an extremely well checked brothel system would improve the situation. Unfortunately though that would boost the prices of services up too I guess AND yes that would be actually better for human traffickers. Mmmh it's not easy. But I guess, putting aside the revolting "it's a free world I can do what I want who are you to tell me blabla" argument which actually physically makes me vomit, we should do all that we can to try and address the plague of human trafficking. If that means takin the "Swedish" approach, then so be it.
    And for the third time, exactly how do you expect to combat human trafficking effectively if you can't regulate prostitution?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Lets not go down this road again....

Yes they should be.
    Huh? "this road again"? People don't rape to get sex. They really don't. You have to be rather disturbed to actually rape someone, there is nothing that can justify it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. It should be legalized. Legalizing it would take away a lot of human trafficking and cripple the sex trade. What a consenting adult chooses to do with another consenting adult is their business and no one elses.

Holland, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, France and many others all have the same problem. The legalization only fueled the demand for victims.

It needs to be decriminalized and discouraged by social stigmatization. People willing to pay for sex need to be ostracized and discouraged instead of being enabled by the government and society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh? "this road again"? People don't rape to get sex. They really don't. You have to be rather disturbed to actually rape someone, there is nothing that can justify it.
    As i have said before there are many things that constitute disturbed...Overly supressing things can do strange thinsg to an individuals mind for instance..Just look at the catholic church..

The idea that rape is ONLY about power is foolish and shortsighted..Yes that may play a facet in even 99% of cases but i cannot truly believe it is the only reason.

Prostitution isnt going away its the worlds oldest profession

Either we keep it illegal yeah it discourages people from engaging in it but will never eliminate it and it means that prostitutes and clients are open to abuse

Or we decriminalize and regulate it sure there will always be those that will work outside of the law just like there will always be people who buy moonshine when liquor is legal cause its cheaper

There is no easy answer to this but i believe that we should be treated like adults and i also believe that drugs should be legal for the same reason

10+ Year Old Account
    Holland, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, France and many others all have the same problem. The legalization only fueled the demand for victims.
    What do all of these nations have in common besides legal prostitution?

I'll let you think.

It needs to be decriminalized and discouraged by social stigmatization. People willing to pay for sex need to be ostracized and discouraged instead of being enabled by the government and society.
    Why? It's a perfectly legitimate exchange of capital.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Brothels would address a growing problem, and that is abuse of young Women (and Men!).
    In order for this to be a valid point you would have to provide evidence that the availability of a Brothel would have deterred the man/woman in question from abusing their victim. You have to understand that some people aren't raping/molesting/etc for the sex but because they enjoy doing it.

I would only say yes under a few conditions. There would have to be methods of verifying that the customer is not married, STD tests for both the customer and the lady providing the service with regular testing of the ladies in question, security outside of rooms in use, a mandatory cleanliness standard governed by a third party (I would imagine the DHEC could do some training to handle that task), background checks for the ladies, and digital age verification for the customers.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    I would only say yes under a few conditions. There would have to be methods of verifying that the customer is not married, STD tests for both the customer and the lady providing the service with regular testing of the ladies in question, security outside of rooms in use, a mandatory cleanliness standard governed by a third party (I would imagine the DHEC could do some training to handle that task), background checks for the ladies, and digital age verification for the customers.
    Verifying that the customer isn't married? Why, exactly.

Why? It's a perfectly legitimate exchange of capital.
    The post traumatic stress that it causes says otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hah, no. Going to cherrypick another statistically insignificant source?

Have you considered that the stress it causes might precisely be because of the stigma against it that you so vehemently support?

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Have you done a lot of research on this?

No, that's just a personal prejudice.

- - - Updated - - -

Not all prostitutes are victims.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Not all prostitutes are victims.
    They are. It doesn't matter if they have financial problems or if they have daddy issues. There always is a reason that influences their decision to enter that field and everyone that makes use of their situation is committing a crime against them.

Please stop making every thread about rape.....

Verifying that the customer isn't married? Why, exactly.
    What do you mean? I know it's illegal here in Virginia.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-365

I guess if that's different somewhere else then it can be waived.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

prostitution is already legal in USA as long as its being filmed, not sure why its not legal while not being filmed /shrug