Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation Warriors need threat-level reduction

Recently, I have had serious problems with threat in raids other than our main 25H. I acknowledge that my high itemlvl (546) causes some part of it, yet the game can't rely on the fact that tanks should always know their class perfectly to maintain aggro. In old tier pugs and LFRs I simply can not use half of my CDs without overaggroing and being killed. The only problem is not the start burst, but also the huge threat generated by several-million-executes.

The next tier gives you a random chance of using execute +20%, in PTR it was terrible design: tanks had no chances of maintaining aggro if the execute procced and I hit the boss for 1,5 million during the first seconds with one spell in addition to the normal burst.

My suggestions:

• Make battle stance reduce threat by 30%
    • Make a new banner that causes threat to drop on affected enemies

Are you having similiar issues?

If you only have issues in trivial content, you can just hold off on that opening burst you know.

Make friends with a paladin. Have them salve you. Problem solved. You said yourself it is not an actual issue in the environment where it matters (your home raid), so I feel it is balanced and 'working as intended'. Alternatively, incorporating a /say line into your cd macro with something like 'burst cds, you will probably have to taunt to hold threat' could also help. Probably a lot less in LFR though.

For LFR: get a tank specc.

Most bosses can be solo tanked in the LFR. If the other tank sucks, you will solo tank it and still do above 200k DPS (DPS gear obviously. Not enough vengeance). If your offtank has good gear, let him offtank and specc Fury

It's annoying that we have to deal with so much aggro although we don't deal the highest damage (sitting at 105% aggro and watching other classes keep DPSing with more DPS can be quite demotivating). Most raids will have a paladin in it and just ask them nicely if they could give you salvation. Usually work.

Deleted
    I never have any threat issues with my opener burst unless you do it right off the bat I don't see you should be pulling aggro if you still do your tanks might not be doing everything in their power to get initial aggro. If you burst too soon as a dps warrior you could pull aggro but in my opinion if you burst right of the bat you are not maximizing your burst dps that you could have done by waiting for 1-2 BTs you'd be lacking rage to maximize your opening burst. I usually get off 2 BTs / HT and possibly WS this gives me enough rage to maximize my burst and possibly line up trinkets / feather and tanks to get enough time for initial threat.

Edit if you are about to die you can always use Die By the Sword which is a excellent personal for when pulling aggro and wait for the tank to taunt back.
    Last edited by mmocc97543d61d; 2013-07-07 at 12:03 PM.

Deleted
    No.

We are warriors after all. You have DbtS for those situations, when you are in the danger of dying. You can also just go Zerker Stance and funnel the rage into more dps, its just LFR which can easily be tanked by a 546 dps warrior...

Deleted
    It won't matter next patch with the 200% increased threat after using taunt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hirv3s View Post
    Make a new banner that causes threat to drop on affected enemies
    Banners aren't personal, they are a group benefit. Having 1 banner that only effects you wouldn't fit the theme at all.

Agree 100% I co tank with a warrior, i´m a Monk myself, and in a guild with fairly equal gear spread, 525-530 on most players and YES there is 1 warrior dps and even though he is good at his class and push great numbers I have to start tanking on my monk otherwise there is no chance in hell to hold aggro from warrior dps. its just through the roof. Mages got a lot of burst/threat as well but the got Mirror Images and the rogues from time to time also push insane threat when popping Cd´s but they have vanish and aggro transfer.. warriors only have combat ress. But I think a lot of the problem lays with some of the tanks, warriors for example have really low threat, Paladins and Druids are decent pre vengeance tops, Dk´s and Monks are in a good spot compared to DPS and the other 2 (maybe 3) needs their threat increased.

The taunt threat inc. wont solve all the problems since its a 3 sec buff but it will help a bit, Don´t know if the Inc. threat is personal so u can taunt 1 mob and have inc. threat on your next AOE ability for example, then it will help a lot when tanking multiple adds. but if its 200% increased threat on the taunted add/boss, then it wont help a lot...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anuibus View Post
    Salyin Battle Banner
    acts like a threat drop.
    For real? how much threat do you drop? I will Force my warrior to get that!

Quote Originally Posted by Anuibus View Post
    Salyin Battle Banner
    acts like a threat drop.
    Also makes WoL invalid :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by burk23 View Post
    No.

We are warriors after all. You have DbtS for those situations, when you are in the danger of dying. You can also just go Zerker Stance and funnel the rage into more dps, its just LFR which can easily be tanked by a 546 dps warrior...
    No, it can not be tanked as a DPS. After all, we're talking about a small HP-upgrade with the gear, nothing else prevents bosses from 2-shotting you.

sounds like mostly an issue of having shitty tanks +
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    It won't matter next patch with the 200% increased threat after using taunt.
    this. So no there is no definite need for that.

In old tier pugs and LFRs I simply can not use half of my CDs without overaggroing and being killed.
    thats the problem. the lfrs if your doing msv the tanks only need a 460 ilvl to get in and heart/ terrace only need 470, so for mogu you have the potential of having gear that is 86 ilvls better than the tank. no matter if the tank is playing perfectly there is no way they would be able to hold aggro against you.

so for you it might be worth whispering the pallies or announcing in raid chat that you are of such a high ilvl and will need salvations throughout the fight

Quote Originally Posted by Pr0ev0lution View Post
    thats the problem. the lfrs if your doing msv the tanks only need a 460 ilvl to get in and heart/ terrace only need 470, so for mogu you have the potential of having gear that is 86 ilvls better than the tank. no matter if the tank is playing perfectly there is no way they would be able to hold aggro against you.
    You only need this itemlevel in your bag. The difference could be even bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Citykid View Post
    For real? how much threat do you drop? I will Force my warrior to get that!
    All of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop trolling LFR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woceip View Post
    Make friends with a paladin. Have them salve you. Problem solved. You said yourself it is not an actual issue in the environment where it matters (your home raid), so I feel it is balanced and 'working as intended'. Alternatively, incorporating a /say line into your cd macro with something like 'burst cds, you will probably have to taunt to hold threat' could also help. Probably a lot less in LFR though.
    What he said, and now to cement the idea I shall create a song called 'go go pocket pali friends', I'll try to post it on the youtube.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

No, it can not be tanked as a DPS. After all, we're talking about a small HP-upgrade with the gear, nothing else prevents bosses from 2-shotting you.
    Most LFR bosses can be easily tanked for over 2 minutes by hoping into Defensive Stance rotating your defensive CDs (DbtS, SW, Demo Banner, RC), tanking it that long usually gets some healer CDs thrown at you too. If a Tank hasn't taunted back by then the boss is probably dead.

My DPS warrior friend used to joke that there was only one way for him to drop threat. He would then ask for a battlerez.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you are having problems in your heroic raids, then it's a simple flat out 100% no from me, please don't trivialise threat even more.

Don't know why you are dying in LFR though, I've successfully tanked bosses while DPSing because of bad tanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    My DPS warrior friend used to joke that there was only one way for him to drop threat. He would then ask for a battlerez.
    Used to have to do that on Onyxia haha (and many others in Vanilla).

As an under geared tank in normals (507), I have a problem with people with much higher gear than me (usually only warriors, but I despise hunters and thier pets too) sometimes pulling off in the beginning of fights. Given 1 or 2 seconds, I can hold aggro, but that doesn't really sit well with the "I must have the best numbers" group.

Likewise, I sometimes pull off in my DPS gear, though I'm not sure if its RNG luck or because I'm really good (unlikely) or the tanks really bad. I'm going to go with probably A or C.

And I agree with Gliff, there is only one way to drop threat.