Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Guild Auto Greeter

I'm looking for an addon that will auto greet my guildies when they log on. A search of Curse only came up with a bunch of woefully out of date addons. Is there something like this floating around that's newer? Thanks!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostblade01 View Post
    I'm looking for an addon that will auto greet my guildies when they log on. A search of Curse only came up with a bunch of woefully out of date addons. Is there something like this floating around that's newer? Thanks!
    Do your guild a favor and don't. Honestly if you can't take the few seconds to type the greeting yourself, then it doesn't mean much.

10+ Year Old Account
    We (the guild) are trying to make more of an effort to make people feel welcomed in the guild. But sometimes when you're in a fight or busy, you miss people logging on. I just figured an addon would help with those few times we miss people because we're in the middle of things. I understand the "feeling" gets lost when it's automated. Still, there is something nice about being acknowledged.

10+ Year Old Account
    We (the guild) are trying to make more of an effort to make people feel welcomed in the guild. But sometimes when you're in a fight or busy, you miss people logging on. I just figured an addon would help with those few times we miss people because we're in the middle of things. I understand the "feeling" gets lost when it's automated. Still, there is something nice about being acknowledged.

But they aren't being acknowledged. Saying a greeting is the start of a conversation. If you don't have time to type the greeting you don't have time for the conversation. What happens if someone replies to your greeting and you are too busy to respond? What if you are afk? Don't you think they would be more upset that they got an auto greeting and you are now ignoring them.

In the end it is your choice. Just to let you know these add-ons are more viewed as an annoyance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough. I get where you're coming from. Regardless, it's something I'm still interested in trying to find. Even if, in the end, it is in fact an annoyance to everyone and I remove it.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    i joined a leveling guild beause i rolled one char on a different server, i HAD to quit because of all the freaking spam in chat

not to mention the useless spam caused on relogs or logging different chars, goblins like me will understand perfectly

10+ Year Old Account
    Autogreeting is looked down upon. Your members wont feel home by getting an automated machine answer. It's better to take your short seconds and go, "heya" or "Hi, how we doing?"

Somethng like that.. I think an auto-greeter is as hated as the auto grats one, and the guild invite spammer.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, seems to be a lot of negative feelings towards these types of addons. I'm guessing that would explain why trying to find a more recent, updated one, is so difficult?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, seems to be a lot of negative feelings towards these types of addons. I'm guessing that would explain why trying to find a more recent, updated one, is so difficult?

Most likely. They aren't a good idea if you are trying to promote a friendly guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive only seen this used once, man I hated it. Just make a macro that you can hit if youre busy.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

Deleted
    We had a dude turn up with one in out guild, most felt offended by it when they replied or tried to strike up a convo just to find the autogreeter afk. It makes it worse to put no effort into your small talk, macro greets if your busy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by teebo View Post
    Ive only seen this used once, man I hated it. Just make a macro that you can hit if youre busy.
    Well the point is sometimes if I'm busy, I don't SEE people log on. If DBM is rolling, I just miss things. I was hoping that an addon existed where if I didn't say something in guild chat after a certain length of time (30 seconds?), then it would take the initiative to greet someone as I would if I was available to do so.

Spamaddons like that are absolutely inacceptable. If you don´t think a guildmate is worth 3 seconds of typing, you shouldn´t greet them at all. Id ignore you if you´d sth like that in my guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryre View Post
    We had a dude turn up with one in out guild, most felt offended by it when they replied or tried to strike up a convo just to find the autogreeter afk. It makes it worse to put no effort into your small talk, macro greets if your busy.
    That can be the bucket of fuel on the fire... What if you are AFK with an auto-greeter? yes, as this one says it, it would make others as well feel offended/insulted that your system greets and they try to talk to you.. but you aren't here..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Most will accept that your busy, if they don't they're not worth it tbh. The only people i've met who complain about late/no greets are serious gits. Most of my guils are serious breeders and are regulary afk cleaning up some mess.

Agree with Baar, when people use automated addons to say gratz or hi it only strikes me as a 'i dont care enough to type something myself' and I doubt it would make anyone feel acknowladged... If you want people to feel welcomed then you have to put more effort into it than that. As for an addon that can make that I have no idea, try searching achivement related addons maybe, I seen a lot of people using that, it may have an option to automate greetings too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the point is sometimes if I'm busy, I don't SEE people log on. If DBM is rolling, I just miss things. I was hoping that an addon existed where if I didn't say something in guild chat after a certain length of time (30 seconds?), then it would take the initiative to greet someone as I would if I was available to do so.
    Do like me.., I have three boxes. 1 for system warnings, 1 for social ( /w, /g, RealID) and 1 for everytihng else (DBM, /raid, /s, /y, other addons and so on)

To achieve the making guild members feel welcome goal, greet everyone with a personal greeting you make up on the spot.

I takes less than 1-2s to type "hello <insert name/part of name/main name>" or some other greeting.

When someone logs into an alt, i would normally greet them with what i would call their main. Automating that would make it much more impersonal and go against the spirit of greeting these people anyway. Only time i don't greet someone is during a raid fight, unless as offtank i am not doing very much, but dungeons, scenarios quests or just hanging out in one of the faction hubs i make an effort.

An addon to say hello may end up making you (or your guild) seem less friendly, as you can't take 1-2s of your life to greet someone, its not that hard to spot addon responses to events.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I think I got my answer. None exists and I should stop looking for them because they are the spawn of the Dark Lord himself. Further more I should go drink everything found under the sink for even broaching the subject!

Message received. Thanks for the replies.

I loved my "Congrats guildmate (this is not a macro)" macro! But an addon seems a bit over the top..