Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Is the quality of tanks declining?

I have been leveling alts lately in the MoP level range and one thing is apparent to me. The quality of tanks is declining. Ive had 1 Dk tank who actually knew what death strike was, and used it. Ive had prot paladins not using shield of righteousness, ever. Warrior tanks not once using shield block and druid tanks who cant even hold aoe threat. Over all, the quality of the tanks as of late seems to be declining. It worries me since my guild recently had a tank leave because of a job and now we gotta get a new one. Im already picky as is with my OT, but lately, idk. Last tank we tried couldn't even manage a simple taunt the boss off the healers. Have others been experiencing this as well?

The quality of actual tanks is not declining. The number of DPS queueing as a tank for a quick queue is increasing, but that doesn't make them tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomette View Post
    The quality of actual tanks is not declining. The number of DPS queueing as a tank for a quick queue is increasing, but that doesn't make them tanks.
    There's also the issue that at lower levels, some of those skills aren't available yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomette View Post
    Ive experienced this decline in regular raids as well. Most of the time "dps as a tank lawlz" isnt the case. They are in tank gear, in tank spec. They just have no clue what to do, nor will listen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    There's also the issue that at lower levels, some of those skills aren't available yet.
    At the level 85-89 range you pretty much have everything needed by any tank.

Yea tanking does require a lil finesse, and its not something you can just pick up on a whim, me i do scenarioes first

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if they are declining, it looks exact same as it always has been to be honest.

I'm tank leveling myself, i just pull everything + boss and still got agro of everything (as paladin) and i don't find it hard at all, I got a special group of people who glad to get with me, because i'm such a fast puller and not one of those tanks that wait each group of mobs.

Also what i have found out as tank, is that loads of dpsers use taunt/agro spells which is REALLY annoying, like pet's using growl :3
    Or death knight's using tanking spells :3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I have been leveling alts lately in the MoP level range and one thing is apparent to me. The quality of tanks is declining.
    Have you stopped to consider that the tanks are also alts, and the player behind them may be learning the class mechanics much like you are learning yours as you level your character throughout Mists? In any event a bad tank is as discouraging as a bad healer or bad DPS - but there is an important distinction as to why the play-quality is low; whether it is from ineptness, inexperience, or laziness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Low level tanks in lfd are pretty much always bad. They tend to be less bad at a higher level.
    Look! Words!

Well, let's see... judging by the attitude of some posters, tanks aren't even necessary until late in the game anyways, so tanks leveling are taught that they aren't needed, and if they don't chainpull the dungeon the dps or the healer will, and leveling dungeons are so easy that DPS can solo mobs so the tank doesn't have to do anything at all. Is it any wonder they don't know how to play when the players they encounter don't play as a group?

And yet it's bad to teach proper group play, go figure...

Yeah the quality is declining but I think it's just dumb people that want to be important but can't manage a steady brain wave. I was MT for my guild before I had to leave do to work but We also needed a decent OT and couldn't find one for the life of me it was agonizing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The quality of tanks in leveling dungeons has always been a crapshoot. I've leveled many, many healers between BC and now and I can say for a fact that there have always been lots of bad tanks in dungeons. There have also been plenty of great tanks.

It happens at maximum level too, but since there's a much higher chance of failure then, more people have to actually learn what to do in order to succeed, so you tend to run into it less often.

10+ Year Old Account
    This late in an expac I wouldn't be surprised if those tanks are also alts, and the people behind them are still learning.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think the quality is declining, I think the quality tanks dont want to que with randoms anymore - and I dont blame them.

I refuse to que as tank to do LFR anymore. I would rather que as DPS, go and mine for 35-45 minutes while i wait and DPS it - carefree.

That way I dont have to put up with DPS who refuse to look at threat on the pull or during taunts. I dont have to put up with healers who are actually DPS. In dunegeons I dont have to put up with DPS who constanlty pull shit for me when I can see the healer is in blues still and cant handle me pulling the entire instance at once. I dont have to cop the blame for everything that goes wrong and I dont have to put up with idiot off tanks who taunt absolutely everything and dont know what tank swap means.

Dungeons, well every class that can tank or heal picks that spot for a quicker que, its not something new. Hell, if I could pick tank on my Enh Shammy while dungeoning I would (because I usually end up tanking most of it anyway) and thats where I think a lot of the problem lies there.

I love tanking, I love doing it as a change of pace from DPSing on my Shaman all week. But I refuse to que with randoms anymore and I know a lot of the quality tanks, the ones who know what to do, are beginning to do as well.
    Last edited by Murderdoll; 2013-07-08 at 02:50 AM.

I believe a large part of the reason is, everything up until normal raids is way to easy. Blizzard has made everything rush rush rush and has made groups of mobs die before a tank even gets hurt. The Ilvl scaling between dungeons and raids also makes it so healers in almost every heroic dungeon could carry a mage tank through if it weren't for aggro. Tanks don't have to use their defensive abilities ever, so they don't learn how to properly use them.

Hmmm they should add monk style daily quest with exp bonus/vanity reward. It teaches you how to use various aspects of your class abilities.

15+ Year Old Account
    Leveling my 8th 90 right now, a resto druid, and I can't say I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    I believe a large part of the reason is, everything up until normal raids is way to easy. Blizzard has made everything rush rush rush and has made groups of mobs die before a tank even gets hurt. The Ilvl scaling between dungeons and raids also makes it so healers in almost every heroic dungeon could carry a mage tank through if it weren't for aggro. Tanks don't have to use their defensive abilities ever, so they don't learn how to properly use them.
    This, most heroic dungeons can be soloed with good play almost as any class.

I've always had to deal with crappy tanks in 5 mans.

I just stopped queuing solo or I started tanking myself.

I blame it on the long dps queues. I log in and want to do LFR.. not log in and sit there for 45-hour doing something that I didn't log on to do while I wait for the queue to pop for the thing I really want to do.

So why not just log on and bash keys and pretend you are a tank.

Absolutely, tanks are the whiniest bunch of unskilled players in this game on a pug level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    I think this thread proves that in WotLK, not only has being bad and lazy become acceptable, but a defendable position and point of pride for some people.