Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[PvP] Is a ret worth playing?

I've always really enjoyed the ret play style this expansion, played a lot of 2s on the 5.2 PTR but never got around to finishing levelling my paladin on live.

I see a lot of paladins with complaints about rets, and last time I checked they were apparantly the worst melee. So I'm asking for this season and next - do you think ret is worth playing now and/or will it better in the next season? Or would I be better off just playing another character.

Ret hasn't been worst melee since tBC. In fact, they've been rank 1 viable for literally every single season since season 5 without fail. On 5.3 they are in top 3 melee and come 5.4 will most likely be number 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Their damage is pretty solid. But they are somewhat kiteable, and cooldowns can be saved for wings, thus neutralizing them.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

they are great right now. absurd burst with great utility ( sacs, freedom, aura, bops )
    there are many rank one and glad teams with rets. especially ret hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Life Lesson #1 - People are terrible.

Don't let it get to you. It'll only spoil your own personal enjoyment if you do.

Alright cheers alds I'm going to finish off levelling and give it a go =) It's a really fun spec but some of the whining had put me off slightly. But I guess everyone moans about their own class

rets great in every aspect but suffers greatly from self defensive abilities. The only thing we have is bubble. Which can be completely negated by nearly 20% of classes. ( warriors and priests ).

Our offset to crappy non-existent self defensive abilities is our super off/self heals and utility in small scale pvp. Generally ret will shine with other ranged dps or with a healer and ranged dps---> eg ret hunter and ret disc hunter combos.

Deleted
    Ret is rank1 viable, so yeah

Deleted
    Ret is not rank 1 viable but Ret/Hunt/Disc is only currently proper combo but next patch Ret is getting buffed even more so yeah it's worth playing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does it matter if Ret is Rank 1 viable or not? It's not as if anybody on these forums are actually trying/going to achieve rank 1. Rank 1 isn't even prestigious anymore. It's been over saturated by all of these twitch heroes who claim that they're all multi rank 1's. Most people who claim that they're rank 1 players are either lying or achieved it on trash battlegroups like Emberstorm... which again means they're lying.

Ret is a good spec, its just doesn't click with a lot of people including myself. I've tried over the years to get a Ret to max level and failed on three different attempts. It doesn't feel meleeish enough for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ret/hunter/healer.. It's a nightmare to play against in PvP. You have to play a perfect game to have a shot at winning. They will faceroll you otherwise.. It's just insane.
    I like juice

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Ret hasn't been worst melee since tBC. In fact, they've been rank 1 viable for literally every single season since season 5 without fail. On 5.3 they are in top 3 melee and come 5.4 will most likely be number 1.
    Ret was pretty good late tbc as well in arena.

They're really good, the best melee together with ferals. Ferals might be slightly better in my opinion but they're still good nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebi View Post
    Ret is not rank 1 viable but Ret/Hunt/Disc is only currently proper combo but next patch Ret is getting buffed even more so yeah it's worth playing it.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/arena/ko...L%20O%20T%20R/

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/arena/ga...%20cac%20sapu/

OT: Yes, Ret is pretty good. It's only got 1 amazing comp, and a handful of 'okay' comps - but, as people have already posted, will be one of the best melees next patch. The problem for Ret has been that it doesn't synergise well with spellcasters, like Lock/Ele/Sp/Mage/etc, so it vastly reduces the amount of viable comps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Alright cheers alds I'm going to finish off levelling and give it a go =) It's a really fun spec but some of the whining had put me off slightly. But I guess everyone moans about their own class
    well there are a lot of pretty terrible ret paladins and whining is their specialty

Quote Originally Posted by Vathius View Post
    rets great in every aspect but suffers greatly from self defensive abilities. The only thing we have is bubble. Which can be completely negated by nearly 20% of classes. ( warriors and priests ).
    if a warrior is close enough to shatter, you are probably close enough to blind them. survivability has more to do with how you play than your armor proficiency or cooldowns.

As stated above, Ret is good but not amazing. The spec has basically one very strong comp (with a hunter) and other than that it's pretty mediocre. Basically, Ret usually (during most seasons) is good enough to be carried by one of the most powerful dps at the time... but it rarely shines on it's own, just with a token comp or 2 each season. It's a safe bet that Ret will usually be decent, but it's almost never top dog.

Also, to be honest Ret is painfully boring; all you do is your normal rotation until your healer asks for help in the form of a heal, hand, devotion aura...and then you feel invincible for a few seconds during cooldowns. All your cc revolves around on 30 sec stun, and an occasional Blinding Light every 2 minutes. Other than that, you can sometimes fear pets if you glyph for it.

It's just awfully mind-numbing, every minute I spend playing Ret I feel like I'm getting dumber, while on my windwalker I feel like I'm always learning and improving. It's like the choices you make are completely irrelevant and your teammates do all the serious work, while you do some damage and some healing depending on what is needed, none of your abilities have any complexity, I honestly feel like some sort of utility pet half the time, rather than a full character.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangra View Post
    As stated above, Ret is good but not amazing. The spec has basically one very strong comp (with a hunter) and other than that it's pretty mediocre. Basically, Ret usually (during most seasons) is good enough to be carried by one of the most powerful dps at the time... but it rarely shines on it's own, just with a token comp or 2 each season. It's a safe bet that Ret will usually be decent, but it's almost never top dog.

Also, to be honest Ret is painfully boring; all you do is your normal rotation until your healer asks for help in the form of a heal, hand, devotion aura...and then you feel invincible for a few seconds during cooldowns. All your cc revolves around on 30 sec stun, and an occasional Blinding Light every 2 minutes. Other than that, you can sometimes fear pets if you glyph for it.

It's just awfully mind-numbing, every minute I spend playing Ret I feel like I'm getting dumber, while on my windwalker I feel like I'm always learning and improving. It's like the choices you make are completely irrelevant and your teammates do all the serious work, while you do some damage and some healing depending on what is needed, none of your abilities have any complexity, I honestly feel like some sort of utility pet half the time, rather than a full character.
    There is definitely some skill ceiling to Ret, but for 95% of it's playerbase, it's pretty low. There are outliers, of course, who can do amazing things with the spec. But for those of us that have played it for a long time, it does indeed feel pretty...monotonous. 20-30sec of LOLBURST followed by 2mins downtime. Very predictable offense (and defense), some niche utility, and a very set synergy or lack thereof with other classes. I enjoyed Ret/Hunter and Ret/Rog 2's (never played it for anything more than points) but it was basically a "play slow til CC lines up, pop CDs and win". Yes, 1700s in 2's doesn't matter, but even in 3's it's much like you stated; you're functioning as a freedom/cleanse bot while the healer/hunter line up CC, then get to ask "can we pop CD's now, boss?".
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

u wot m8

ret is insanely good rite now

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    Their damage is pretty solid. But they are somewhat kiteable, and cooldowns can be saved for wings, thus neutralizing them.
    I feel like Rets are almost the least kite-able melee, either they Emancipate themselves from all roots and snares, or they are constantly sprinting around - or they stack mastery and do spellcaster damage from 30 yards away by pointing their swords in my general direction. Ferals are only less kite-able in that their runspeed buff is actually permanent where Rets is like 90% uptime or something, and Ferals have a charge - but neither of them can be rooted/snared, and Ferals don't do ranged damage nearly as effectively as Rets do.

Peeling a ret during Wings I think is a good model for burst cooldowns, I wish more (all?) classes were peelable during their burst cycles - so while it's definitely the downfall of Rets, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, it's just bad that all specs don't share that dilemma.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Rdruid, Rets are a terror for me right now. If I get hard focused by a decently geared one, it's a nightmare for me to try to shake them off and heal through all the burst that's coming my way, and I may as well just fall over right then and there. Coupled with the fact that they are only getting stronger next patch has me seriously worried, even though it's a bit offset by the amount of buffs I'm getting as well. We'll have to see.
    | Happiness is the best revenge |

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I feel like Rets are almost the least kite-able melee, either they Emancipate themselves from all roots and snares, or they are constantly sprinting around - or they stack mastery and do spellcaster damage from 30 yards away by pointing their swords in my general direction. Ferals are only less kite-able in that their runspeed buff is actually permanent where Rets is like 90% uptime or something, and Ferals have a charge - but neither of them can be rooted/snared, and Ferals don't do ranged damage nearly as effectively as Rets do.

Peeling a ret during Wings I think is a good model for burst cooldowns, I wish more (all?) classes were peelable during their burst cycles - so while it's definitely the downfall of Rets, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, it's just bad that all specs don't share that dilemma.
    ok cool cause i had the same feeling, when i saw that comment i was like i must be doing something very wrong because they are very hard for me to kite