Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What if raid trash was like....

What if before each boss, some of the raid trash actually uses some of the boss' mechanics, just to familiarize the players with what is coming and how to deal with it?

I mean, not all mechanics of the boss, but some of them, so the players who are unfamiliar get some expectations and knowledge of what to do.

Deleted
    There are actually several bosses where this is the case. And I don't think many people even noticed that.

Just in MoP alone there are bosses with trash just as you described.

MSV - Stone Guard (petrification) and Spirit Kings (each set has an iconic ability)
    HoF - Blade Lord's trash (each mini-boss has 1 of Blade Lord's abilities)
    ToT - Horridon (Direhorns on Isle of Giants with Triple Puncture and Double Swipe) and Durumu (maze during Eye Sentry)

its funny because most trash actually does this, the mobs before jinrohk cast focus lightning for example

I suddenly had a flashback to Diablo 3 on Inferno mode where the trash was harder than the actual bosses. Haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    They do. That's how it works. Throne had the aforementioned eye sentries, and there were all those groups of trolls before the council that taught you how to deal with multiple targets using different abilities, and that Garajahl would be buffing them. Most people just don't pay attention and just nuke 'em all down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost all of the bosses have themed trash that replicates some of their abilities. It's already done.

That used to be what 5 mans were for

If you've been raiding for a while, you have probably noticed that the 'type' of the boss heavily influences its mechanics as well. Its also fun when they 'introduce' bosses in a 5man, and then present them later in a raid with similar or more developed versions of the attacks they used previously.

Blade Lord Ta'yak says hi

That... happens. Right now. Pay more attention.

Deleted
    um most of the dungeons have similar "boss mechanics" as the raids will have to get you familiarised as to what to expect dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    They've been doing this for quite some time already.

I'm quite sure that they have done so for quite a while now, even back to around BC on some occassions?

I think the first time I noticed this was the trash in Ulduar's Conservatory of Life, where you engage Freya.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Not a bad idea, but ..honestly...unless you are in a top 10 guild shooting for world firsts..what dod you do. You look up guides. THAT is how players familiarize themselves with boss mechanics.

There also is the dungeon journal..so if you care, you either find the info and read up..or better..are prepared to figure it out yourself.
    One is reading about it, completely other to actualy face it.

What if the bosses dropped loot?

Oh, what's that? They already do?

Yea, as others have mentioned, already in game.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Not a bad idea, but ..honestly...unless you are in a top 10 guild shooting for world firsts..what dod you do. You look up guides. THAT is how players familiarize themselves with boss mechanics.
    I bet you taught yourself how to swim on the internet too.

Quote Originally Posted by achromatickang View Post
    I suddenly had a flashback to Diablo 3 on Inferno mode where the trash was harder than the actual bosses. Haha.
    Don't even have to look at D3. A lot of trash packs in BC and Vanilla's 5mans were harder than bosses.