Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Have you ever had a moment where you were frightened playing WoW?

I have had many events that have raised my blood pressure in WoW, but only one where I can actually say I was so scared that I think my heart missed a beat or two.

It was in EPL and I was getting the doll parts for Pamela. It was about 2 AM, and I was tired, but I was just doing "one more quest" after doing about a dozen "one more quests"..... and I went into the house, and the invisible mobs popped, and shouted....

I damn near had a mini stroke!

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    A couple of times when playing as flag carrier in rbgs and when I'm nearly capping thats a mix of adrenalin and fear.

Not in WoW. At most I got a creepy feeling in certain areas.

sometimes i get creeped out and start to feel scared, it's usually when i'm thinking about a mob i just fought or something. some kind of ghosts or something that makes scary noises.

Everyday i ever raided scared and scarred me

A couple times. In the original WOW beta I got lost and went to the wrong area near Orgrimmar. Back then they didn't have Azshara open for testing yet, not that I could even tell I was heading for Azshara. Anyway, there were no signs to stay out or anything but I got close...

... then something yelled at me to stay out of there and I got instant killed by Death Touch from a Guardian of Blizzard, which I think was either invisible or a critter.

Another time was in TBC. I went auto-flying in Outland to somewhere. I think it was from Hellfire Peninsula to Netherstorm. Anyway, I just pointed myself in the direction and hit auto-run and then went to get a drink or something. When I got back I was in the middle of the Twisting Nether "zone" when you go into the airspace between Hellfire and Netherstorm. This place probably isn't that scary, but it was creepy to me because the game went from ambient lighting to nothing but this creepy off-white color and weird sound around me. Given that the Twisting Nether is supposed to be kind of the Limbo/Purgatory (and worse) of the WOW universe, I was creeped out by it being like that. I kind of felt like at any moment I was going to get killed by something out in the middle of here.

It was like 3 in the morning and I had alt tabbed right as we were about to pull Yogg Saron on an Ulduar clear a few months back.

Meanwhile outside, there was a thunderstorm going on.

All of a sudden the only thing I hear is "BOW DOWN BEFORE THE GOD OF DEATH" blast from my speakers and then the power went out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

I wouldn't say scared but definitely when you are on a progression kill and it starts getting in that last 20%, time seems to slow down and heart rate seems to go up. It's fun though more than scary.

Deleted
    WoW is one of the games that couldn't be scary even if it tried. Don't get me wrong, it could surprise me - like an unexpected mob/hostile player getting a jump on me. But scared...?
    Scared is something I associate more with the feeling of: "Oh gawd, I don't wanna go in there... what if... I'm sure there is..." and so on. WoW really can't do that and doesn't even try to.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    It was like 3 in the morning and I had alt tabbed right as we were about to pull Yogg Saron on an Ulduar clear a few months back.

Meanwhile outside, there was a thunderstorm going on.

All of a sudden the only thing I hear is "BOW DOWN BEFORE THE GOD OF DEATH" blast from my speakers and then the power went out.
    Sounds awesome :O
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

The feeling when you are camping for a rare-pet (hunter) and you finally come across it, the moments before catching it are heart-racing.

Yes, on a few occasions I have been scared, some from ingame places and events. And sadly some times by other players.

I find The upsidedown Sinners really scary.

but what I found most scary in this game is the time another player threatened to kill me IRL, this was after the implementation of realID; and I had added a person, I -thought- was a friend,, so he knew my real name and nationality, and this person showed himself to anything but friendly in the long run, and threatened to locate me and end my life.

Obviously he never did, but i found that deeply disturbing.
    Kindness goes a long way.

well, back in the days of Vanilla i used to roll on a fury warrior..
    was in BRD and after hours of wiping and killing mobs we were finaly at emperror, we killed him and Ironfoe droped. i screamed like a little girl, won the mace.... and the servers crashed.

that was the 5 longest minutes of my gaming life tbh, was so afraid that we would get rollbacked was basicly shaking when i logged back in.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Never been scared in WoW, although the Goldshire kids are pretty creepy.

Never,WoW is as scary as a bag of potato chips.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not in WoW but I was playing Fallout 3 once when I launched a nuke (godmode cheat FTW) at a mutant for fun. It hit the ground with a satisfying explosion and shook the screen...

...and then my entire building vibrated and the lights went out (18th floor) as the transformer or whatever that powered all four buildings exploded across the street.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, never been frightened playing WoW.

Deleted
    Yeach twice. Once soon after wow was released all i wanted to do was explore with IRL mates so i walked from the crossroads as lvl 6-10 cant recall and started descovering ashara with all it´s wonderful lost elven architecture all of a sudden a colossal bear with a skull where the lvl should be started chasing me nearly pissed myself...i know it doesnt sound scary but when you are really immersed and into things you brain starts going wild...suffice to say wow doesnt immerse me anymore lol

Another time i was in the plaguelands near the abominations farming the last levels at really CRAZY hours of the morning and all of a sudden i heard that stealth sound you can/could hear whenever an enemy player was too close and then i saw a fucking night elf rogue prowling about ready to gank me (my guild was called elf ganker when i started playing) ..that sound nearly gave me a heart attack

Quote Originally Posted by Tintenkiller View Post
    WoW is one of the games that couldn't be scary even if it tried. Don't get me wrong, it could surprise me - like an unexpected mob/hostile player getting a jump on me. But scared...?
    Scared is something I associate more with the feeling of: "Oh gawd, I don't wanna go in there... what if... I'm sure there is..." and so on. WoW really can't do that and doesn't even try to.
    I completely agree with this.

Had one or two good "made me jump" moments, though, usually involving a Fel Reaver in Hellfire Peninsula sneaking up on me then blaring his foghorn...

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Not in WoW but I was playing Fallout 3 once when I launched a nuke (godmode cheat FTW) at a mutant for fun. It hit the ground with a satisfying explosion and shook the screen...

...and then my entire building vibrated and the lights went out (18th floor) as the transformer or whatever that powered all four buildings exploded across the street.

butterfly effect?