[Balance] Status of Wild Mushrooms

I would primarily like to focus on the mechanics and play-style involved with the spell Wild Mushroom and Wild Mushroom: Detonate. It's already painfully obvious that balance druid sustained AE for situations where hurricane is the appropriate spell is very low and balance is on the bottom of the AE class spectrum.

Currently the appropriate thing to do in a situation where multiple mobs are clumped together is use hurricane. It's a rather bland spell that functions the same as non-destro rain of fire and blizzard. Simply select an area on the ground that you hope mobs will stay in and channel for 8 seconds (now is an appropriate time to alt-tab to find an enjoyable song to play before placing the next hurricane) rinse and repeat. One spell, one interaction with WoW every 8 seconds. Forgive me if I fall asleep playing a moonkin. Besides being boring this also has risks with mobs being to spread out, moving, and it doesn't have a really huge payoff in comparison to single target damage abilities.

I am comparing this to an accepted playstyle in Cataclysm for Balance druid AE. Previously moonkins would enter solar eclipse and roll out sunfires if adds are spread, followed by a mushroom detonate when they are clumped. Place mushrooms once again and get sunfires out on high hp mobs or typhoon/hurricane low hp mobs. This is around 5 spells to cast during aoe compared to the single spell in MoP. Spamming mushrooms didn't limit my movement completely, as aoe does in MoP. Mushrooms had a sort of build up time because 3 had to be placed and a cooldown, but aoe was "worth it" for a lack of better words in Cata and I never wondered if I should just single target when AE damage was appropriate.

Basically, I don't like hurricane. It's boring, it completely restricts my movement and the movement of the mobs I am damaging. It should be more situational now, as it was last expansion. AE spells in general should be more situational rather than spamming one spell such as hurricane for 30seconds (cough chain lightning, mind sear etc). I think bringing Wild Mushrooms back into the aoe rotation by just by buffing their damage to a point where the DPET is greater than hurricane would be amazing. It's become so dynamic and fun for resto druids, but remains untouched for balance. I like the idea of charging something up, then blowing it up, which is how I feel mushrooms should function more for the balance spec. I like the feel of using mushrooms, but unfortunately on most fights I can only use them once (preplacement).

I don't think the proposed glyph will be incredibly helpful. Just from looking at the tooltip it appears now that it would be worth it to place a shroom, detonate it, then hurricane while waiting for the mushroom cooldown. The primary problem is using hurricane for more than a full channel. Balance druid will still be substantially lower than other classes for aoe damage, without significant raid utility or another damage niche to counterbalance the weakness.
    Last edited by Aboubacar; 2013-07-09 at 03:48 PM.

Well it should still be a trade-off. Hurricane is more damage but you can't move or hit adds that are too spread out. Sunfire is less damage but better if you have to be moving or if adds are too scattered. Wild mushrooms can pre-plant during down periods, but they are probably too situational.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fappasaurus View Post
    I like the idea of charging something up, then blowing it up, which is how I feel mushrooms should function more for the balance spec. I like the feel of using mushrooms, but unfortunately on most fights I can only use them once (preplacement).
    Actually, if hurricane would charge your mushrooms, that would be REALLY cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    When a homeless person is rambling in the streets, it's better to ignore them than argue with them. On the internets it's clearly better to spend an entire week proving them wrong.

Resto mushroom mechanic applied to Balance:

Wild Mushroom, 40yd Range, Instant
    Grow magical mushrooms with 5 health at the target location, after 6 seconds, the mushrooms will become invisible. Solar energy radiating off of nearby enemies affected by Sunfire will charge the mushrooms, increasing their size and damage by x, up to a maximum of y. Only 3 mushrooms can be placed at a time, and damage is split evenly between all mushrooms upon detonation

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachysaurus View Post
    Resto mushroom mechanic applied to Balance:

Wild Mushroom, 40yd Range, Instant
    Grow magical mushrooms with 5 health at the target location, after 6 seconds, the mushrooms will become invisible. Solar energy radiating off of nearby enemies affected by Sunfire will charge the mushrooms, increasing their size and damage by x, up to a maximum of y. Only 3 mushrooms can be placed at a time, and damage is split evenly between all mushrooms upon detonation
    Yeah thats a great idea!! Something SHOULD happen to balance ae-dps. It feels totally wrong and i try to avoid doing ae-dps (i only use it on trash anyway) because it makes me sad. Especially mushrooms. They are kinda broken for balnce atm imo.

It is a shame that for most of the first we really only use mushroom once (pre-planted), they were a fun part of playing boomies in Cata. The fix seems so silly (buff em 'till they are viable / DPET same or higher than hurricane?) but still nothing from Blizzard on this. I feel like posting a link to this post in the Blizz site, just a small reminder to them that we're not happy about mushrooms for balance.

I'd still say Mushrooms are a great asset to what we have especially on the move when you can place some there knowing adds will spawn or come out. It's quick damage and I like using the in the beginning of the fight sometimes just to pop them and have extra dps boost

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with making them charge is that you can situationally make them way to OP in PvE. Think back to HC Rag and having them charged up from your Sunfire on Rag.......

Quote Originally Posted by Paloro View Post
    The problem with making them charge is that you can situationally make them way to OP in PvE. Think back to HC Rag and having them charged up from your Sunfire on Rag.......
    Put a cap on the maximum damage they can do/be charged up too, your Sunfire(s) would only effect how fast they charged up (exactly like Resto mushrooms)

And it was just an idea that I thought sounded cool, I highly doubt blizzard would do anything like it. We may only see a slight buff to overall mushroom damage, maaaaybe a decrese in the detonate CD...