Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Things you know as GM, but probably shouldn't, LOL.

OK, I have mentioned before that I GM an alliance guild and a Horde guild on the same server.... Lots of my guild mates are in both guilds. And many have been in both guilds since inception, so there is a ton of long term relationships, some going back 5 years. I also happen to be 51 years old, and I think that my age makes the younger crowd feel like they can open up to me about stuff.... stuff that I probably should not know.... I wonder how much of this you know as a GM of your guild?

1. I am told of marital issues, including child support and custody cases.

2. I hear stories of people playing WoW who have to scrape together money to play ( Not a judgment, but don't know why they tell me they don't have money )

3. I know medical details of many members, including two that have told me they are bi - polar, and one who has incurable cancer.

I do not allow sexual talk in main guild chat, as we are family friendly, but in private chat I have heard:

4. Last night I was talking to this woman, and yes, she is definitely a woman, and I mentioned that my hair was grey. She said she didn't have any grey hair and hoped she never would. I said I wish I didn't have any either, but that my "goatee looks better grey, than brown". To which she replied "my goatee looks better shaved.... once a week"!

5. Also, I used to have a guy and his wife in my guild... they live 5 states away from me.... I was friendly with the guy, but the woman was my WoW BFF. We flirted like crazy, and the husband didn't mind at all that I flirted with his wife... When she was online, and drinking tequilla, she would say the craziest things....... Like one day she whispered me " I really love anal sex." LOL.... WTH????? Even with all the flirting, we had never gone THAT far before... Anyway, it turned out that I was going on vacation in her state, so we made a plan to meet..... but the only time we could meet was when she was at work.... So, trying to be funny, I brought her a bottle of really nice tequilla. I spent 10 minutes with her, and went on with my vacation. But I told her that she should "enjoy that tequilla"...... as she always said she had better sex when she had tequilla in her.....

When I got home from vacation, her husband sent me a whisper that went something like this:

"X" and I put that tequllia to some good use.... in fact the first night, I was banging her and thought that you ( me ) would have enjoyed banging her too. Shame you couldn't hang around."

And then I have also heard stories about a guy in guild who got arrested for attempted murder..... and I have heard some gruesome stories from guys in the military about the killings and death they have seen in Iraq.....

So, I don't know, but I don't think most of our guild mates know of much of this, or get told these things.... but I think being the GM, and being probably the oldest person in the guilds, I guess they feel safe.

Do you hear crazy things as GM?

10+ Year Old Account
    I suddenly want to be a GM.

Mainly because of the fifth thing.

Even just being an officer you discover that almost everyone in the raid is secretly (or not so secretly) a drama queen.

10+ Year Old Account
    WTF LOL at the 5th thing... I never got that close with guildies like that when I was a GM in BC. That is just nuts...

I've never been a GM but i do admit i'm fairly open with them, i still consider one of them a good friend even if he quit the game for a while (he just came back) and we talk about our real lives pretty often.

Some of those are weird, but some makes sense depending what type of guild you run, like the money part makes sense for a raiding guild, for example, as it means missing some raids, a lot of WoW players are college student or kids so 15$ a month sometime isn't terribly easy to come by, i know by experience.

A lot of people also play this game when drinking or on drugs and considering its already easy to become a lot more open on the internet because of the lack of physical content and ability to see a person's reaction, adding those to the mix can mean talking about very personal stuff even to complete strangers.

Guild Masters are usually mature individuals with good people's skills so if someone looks for someone to turn to while being within the game, it makes sense that its towards you.

Quote Originally Posted by VeganHunter View Post
    OK, I have mentioned before that I GM an alliance guild and a Horde guild on the same server.... Lots of my guild mates are in both guilds. And many have been in both guilds since inception, so there is a ton of long term relationships, some going back 5 years. I also happen to be 51 years old, and I think that my age makes the younger crowd feel like they can open up to me about stuff.... stuff that I probably should not know.... I wonder how much of this you know as a GM of your guild?

1. I am told of marital issues, including child support and custody cases.

2. I hear stories of people playing WoW who have to scrape together money to play ( Not a judgment, but don't know why they tell me they don't have money )

3. I know medical details of many members, including two that have told me they are bi - polar, and one who has incurable cancer.

I do not allow sexual talk in main guild chat, as we are family friendly, but in private chat I have heard:

4. Last night I was talking to this woman, and yes, she is definitely a woman, and I mentioned that my hair was grey. She said she didn't have any grey hair and hoped she never would. I said I wish I didn't have any either, but that my "goatee looks better grey, than brown". To which she replied "my goatee looks better shaved.... once a week"!

5. Also, I used to have a guy and his wife in my guild... they live 5 states away from me.... I was friendly with the guy, but the woman was my WoW BFF. We flirted like crazy, and the husband didn't mind at all that I flirted with his wife... When she was online, and drinking tequilla, she would say the craziest things....... Like one day she whispered me " I really love anal sex." LOL.... WTH????? Even with all the flirting, we had never gone THAT far before... Anyway, it turned out that I was going on vacation in her state, so we made a plan to meet..... but the only time we could meet was when she was at work.... So, trying to be funny, I brought her a bottle of really nice tequilla. I spent 10 minutes with her, and went on with my vacation. But I told her that she should "enjoy that tequilla"...... as she always said she had better sex when she had tequilla in her.....

When I got home from vacation, her husband sent me a whisper that went something like this:

"X" and I put that tequllia to some good use.... in fact the first night, I was banging her and thought that you ( me ) would have enjoyed banging her too. Shame you couldn't hang around."

And then I have also heard stories about a guy in guild who got arrested for attempted murder..... and I have heard some gruesome stories from guys in the military about the killings and death they have seen in Iraq.....

So, I don't know, but I don't think most of our guild mates know of much of this, or get told these things.... but I think being the GM, and being probably the oldest person in the guilds, I guess they feel safe.

Too funny....Opponent Guild? Stormrage?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ohhh yeah. There are actually times when I question my decision to become a GM lol I don't share anything that my guildies confide in me, but I guess something about that position makes people trust you that much more, especially if you're willing to actually establish friendly relationships with them instead of it only being about in-game things

Quote Originally Posted by maxalyss View Post
    Too funny....Opponent Guild? Stormrage?
    There's no Horde on Stormrage, besides its unlikely he will tell us who's his guild with so many personal infos out.

LOL, I can't reveal.

Nice letting other people's business hang out like that. Your guild sounds amazing.

my guildmaster is 50something from england. i've never met her before, but she knows more about me than about anyone i know.

i guess i took a liking to her and been talking to her about anything ever since..
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    There's no Horde on Stormrage, besides its unlikely he will tell us who's his guild with so many personal infos out.
    This huge guild <Opponent> started a Horde Guild named the same name, we help them kill Nalak every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Nice letting other people's business hang out like that. Your guild sounds amazing.
    all unidentifiable.....

vegan....im in the same exact boat as you....the shit i hear.....absolutely astonishing from people lol...why do they tell me as an older GM myself, no fucking clue but sometimes it sends me into tears with laughter

10+ Year Old Account
    In WOTLK i was GM of a big 25man guild on my server. Well it turned out that our 1 and only enhancement shaman was stalking in real life our 1 and only disc priest, even though she had a boyfriend. She came to me and told me how he was showing up outside her house at night peering in the windows as she would do heroics with us.

She came to me and told me the situation and i had to deal with it on vent, try to act as a mediator between them both, but that didn't go very well. Eventually it got so bad she had to get the police involved as he became more and more erratic and, scary. I thought to myself, what if i kick him from the guild he snaps and kills her, or something... what was my responsibilities as a Guild Master when it came to someones IRL safety.

Once she got a restraining order he logged on vent and asked me to come down a channel, where he started crying and telling me he didn't know how it got this far and that he wanted to stop. I told him she didn't want anything to do with him anymore and he understood and left the guild of his own accord. VERY awkward conversation let me tell you...

what made matters even worse was that we needed an enh shaman for buffs, so had to open recruitment.
    Hi

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been the GM of a few guilds, and I've had a lot of personal things told to me aswell, But I've also had just as many told to me while just being a member, i had the GM and his gf both talking to me about a lot of things, very personal things, I think it just comes down to the guild setting, more than your position or age, within the guild, It's hard to get a nice, personal guild these days, I hate really busy guilds where there is a billion members and noone talks, I'd love to find a nice cheerful, family like guild again

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    I've been the GM of a few guilds, and I've had a lot of personal things told to me aswell, But I've also had just as many told to me while just being a member, i had the GM and his gf both talking to me about a lot of things, very personal things, I think it just comes down to the guild setting, more than your position or age, within the guild, It's hard to get a nice, personal guild these days, I hate really busy guilds where there is a billion members and noone talks, I'd love to find a nice cheerful, family like guild again
    You know what? In my alliance guild, I was not the first GM, but became the GM within a few days of its inception. And the guild was formed from a previous guild that fell apart over raid drama ( one reason I will never GM a raid guild, or even do raids ). The first ting I did as GM, and within MINUTES of becoming GM, was boot all the people who I deemed to be buttheads. I booted about 12 people. And then, in the guild bank's 1 slot info tab, I wrote down what we expected from our guild mates, which really was just being respectful of each other, and to avoid drama..... and then for the last line of the "rules", I wrote "This GM cuts off the head of the beast before it grows more. If you cross the line, you are gone, simple as that."

And you know what? My guild ran smooth as butter for years.... Sadly, though, my guild - the alliance one - has had so many people stop playing WoW, that we don't have many active players anymore. We have 151 characters in that guild, and about 80 accounts.... and I bet only about 12 people actually play anymore, but those that do are super close, and we love each others company.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You know what? In my alliance guild, I was not the first GM, but became the GM within a few days of its inception. And the guild was formed from a previous guild that fell apart over raid drama ( one reason I will never GM a raid guild, or even do raids ). The first ting I did as GM, and within MINUTES of becoming GM, was boot all the people who I deemed to be buttheads. I booted about 12 people. And then, in the guild bank's 1 slot info tab, I wrote down what we expected from our guild mates, which really was just being respectful of each other, and to avoid drama..... and then for the last line of the "rules", I wrote "This GM cuts off the head of the beast before it grows more. If you cross the line, you are gone, simple as that."

And you know what? My guild ran smooth as butter for years.... Sadly, though, my guild - the alliance one - has had so many people stop playing WoW, that we don't have many active players anymore. We have 151 characters in that guild, and about 80 accounts.... and I bet only about 12 people actually play anymore, but those that do are super close, and we love each others company.
    I had a guild that i started back in 08 like that, it was amazing, and it was just a social guild, we had quite a few members at peak, but we all spoke, and helped each other, and any drama and I'd just kick em straight out lol, No point hanging on to troublemakers, And the reason that guild "died" was because it was on Haomarush, which is a dead realm now, so people just transferred off, i still talk to quite a few of those members though, which is nice, I do "blame" guild levels, as so many people now just want to GM a guild for a gold income, But there has to still be guilds out there that are decent, it's just a case of finding them.

I had a guild that i started back in 08 like that, it was amazing, and it was just a social guild, we had quite a few members at peak, but we all spoke, and helped each other, and any drama and I'd just kick em straight out lol, No point hanging on to troublemakers, And the reason that guild "died" was because it was on Haomarush, which is a dead realm now, so people just transferred off, i still talk to quite a few of those members though, which is nice, I do "blame" guild levels, as so many people now just want to GM a guild for a gold income, But there has to still be guilds out there that are decent, it's just a case of finding them.
    You know, even though I sort of feel like that money in the alliance guild should be mine for all the time and effort I put in, I would never touch it for myself... I even pay my own guild repairs. On the horde side, well that is a different matter. I started the guild, I paid for every bank slot, I paid for vent, and I put 1000g in the bank to help people start. If I ever do want the money from the horde bank, I won't feel bad about taking most of it. But likely I never will. Oh, the guild that split up, well that GM took all 60K before it fell apart.

- - - Updated - - -

You know, even though I sort of feel like that money in the alliance guild should be mine for all the time and effort I put in, I would never touch it for myself... I even pay my own guild repairs. On the horde side, well that is a different matter. I started the guild, I paid for every bank slot, I paid for vent, and I put 1000g in the bank to help people start. If I ever do want the money from the horde bank, I won't feel bad about tanking most of it. But likely I never will. Oh, the guild that split up, well that GM took all 60K before it fell apart.

Deleted
    when I was a GM, yes. I wont mention names but I too have heard about peoples medical conditions, sexual history, one suicide, and one pretty extreme case where someone very close to the whole guild was killed by their husband who was also in the guild for quite some time. (miss speaking to you L).

Being a GM is fun at times, but you also have to put up with a lot of shit, and its not a postion I am willing to put myself into again any time soon.