10+ Year Old Account

How to deal with Invocation?

Hey MMO-Champion

First off, Here is my Armory

Secondly, I just switched from Rune of Power to Invocation as my 90 tier talent due to recommendations of other Mages for ToT. The issue is after a brief amount of testing in Dungeons / LFR I see that I'm constantly running low on mana.

So the question is how do I manage this issue? Is there a specific way to do so? I've read something about 40 second DPS / 20 second regen but I can't see how that would be more beneficial than Rune of Power for that 20 seconds.

As what? Non-Arcane?

You DPS for 60 then Evocate. You shouldn't EVER be running oom (though at higher Haste levels, you should come close towards the end as Frost).

If you're going oom, you're spamming Spellsteal WAY too much.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    He is frost.
    So: Evocate, throw all the shit u have at the boss for 60 sec, repeat.
    U are at itemlvl 506. U shouldn't go oom right now. If u go oom u are using Invo to late or using something u shouldn't use.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomathan View Post
    He is frost.
    So: Evocate, throw all the shit u have at the boss for 60 sec, repeat.
    U are at itemlvl 506. U shouldn't go oom right now. If u go oom u are using Invo to late or using something u shouldn't use.
    Yeah until you hit around my iLevel, you should never be going oom. Once you hit the 14,250 Haste level, you'll definitely be going OoM ~50-60s in.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't really matter what your ilvl is. With enough bad luck you will go oom after 50-55 seconds.

All you can do is evocate early once you don't even have enough mana to cast frostbolt.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

Quote Originally Posted by jtmzac View Post
    It doesn't really matter what your ilvl is. With enough bad luck you will go oom after 50-55 seconds.

All you can do is evocate early once you don't even have enough mana to cast frostbolt.
    While more Haste does give you more MP5, it doesn't make up for the amount you lose from the additional Frostbolts you'll cast in the 60s duration. Now if you're INCREDIBLY unlucky, I guess you could go oom at lower iLevels, but it's really rare.

dont forget you have mana gems, sometimes I will run out of mana at the start of a fight before the invo buff runs out but mana gem gives more than enough to cover it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velk View Post
    Hey MMO-Champion

First off, Here is my Armory

Secondly, I just switched from Rune of Power to Invocation as my 90 tier talent due to recommendations of other Mages for ToT. The issue is after a brief amount of testing in Dungeons / LFR I see that I'm constantly running low on mana.

So the question is how do I manage this issue? Is there a specific way to do so? I've read something about 40 second DPS / 20 second regen but I can't see how that would be more beneficial than Rune of Power for that 20 seconds.
    You have to be incredibly LUCKY to run oom with frost actually, means you have had a load of procs !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Yeah until you hit around my iLevel, you should never be going oom. Once you hit the 14,250 Haste level, you'll definitely be going OoM ~50-60s in.
    but this isnt about you, its about the OP.
    youre not really helping here.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    but this isnt about you, its about the OP.
    youre not really helping here.
    Right, and like I said, until you hit HIGHER iLevels, you shouldn't be going oom. At LOWER iLevels, it's near impossible for you to go oom unless you're spamming Spellsteal or not using procs at all.

So, the problem here is one of the following:
    - OP is not Evocating every 55~65s
    - OP is doing the rotation wrong because he's only spamming Frostbolts and not taking advantage of higher-damaging, free-costing, Ice Lances/Frostfire Bolts
    - OP is unaware that Spellsteal eats 63,000 mana (21% of your entire bar that should last 60s) and should let his allies that have cheaper dispels use theirs instead. (That, or use Invocation earlier)

I've posted all of this already; there's no other help beyond these three points to fix the OP's issue. I'm sorry if you don't see it as help, but unless there's something everyone's overlooking, there is no other issue than the ones I posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by Aktec View Post
    dont forget you have mana gems, sometimes I will run out of mana at the start of a fight before the invo buff runs out but mana gem gives more than enough to cover it
    While helpful (particularly at levels where mana is an issue), it won't help for every Evocate because of its 2m cooldown.

However, I'll admit I totally forgot about Mana Gems since I only have them on my bar as Arcane (and I haven't played Arcane since 5.1); definitely plan to use them from now on when I play Frost after the pull XD

Switched to fire recently, but when I was frost (525+ ilvl) I would run oom on the first Evocation due to lust / CD's and ridiculous amounts of haste.
    To help I put my Mana Gem in my Alter Time macro with the "mana over time" glyph. Solved all my problems.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    - OP is doing the rotation wrong because he's only spamming Frostbolts and not taking advantage of higher-damaging, free-costing, Ice Lances/Frostfire Bolts
    This is just me being incredible Anal, but FOF Ice Lances are NOT free.

Quote Originally Posted by nickseng View Post
    This is just me being incredible Anal, but FOF Ice Lances are NOT free.
    *Coughs* excuse me, 1% mana

Still significantly less than 4% mana.