Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty happy with it. Much better than having to go down to Fry's Electronics or something, which is what I used to have to do as a kid.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Always had a good experience with Steam. It simply works, hasn't given me issues neither purchasing, nor installing, nor running, nor updating, everything just works, and the client itself doesn't seem to take much resources (at least I've never noticed it). The sales now and then just add to it.

Download speeds have been "shitty" (as in roughly 10Mbit) for a long while, but I believe in the latest 1-2 years I've finally been able to max out my download speed (100Mbit).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

15+ Year Old Account
    I think steam is great, got 95% of my PC game library on steam, and I don't have to have them all installed, can always reinstall from the client whenever I want ^__^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khorine View Post
    Only thing wrong with Steam is that 99% of games are indie garbage and company garbage.
    what

that's like every game

10+ Year Old Account
    I only instaled it once to play a half like 1 mod. Then i deleted it forever.

I dont like downloading....i hate it....makes wow to slow. (also i save loads of money)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Compared to origin steam is amazing value for buying games especially steam summer sale, I notice origin even now has 2/3 yr old games marked at full price, this is pure greed in comparison.

Never really had any issues with Steam at all. Payment wise, lag wise, download wise or any others. One thing I do wish you could do is open up games in seperate tabs of some sort. Like when you're scrolling the top sellers or what's on sale and you're down a few pages and you click on a game it takes you to the game page. Which is good and all but if you just wanted to simply preview to game and then go back to browsing you have to go back and scroll through the pages again. Not a huge issue but a slight inconvenience in my opinion. Other than that everything works flawlessly for me.

And for those not wanting to have to open it to start up a game, just have it log in on start up, doesn't take much resources and chances are you won't even notice anything different. Then when you go to start a game all is well and you don't have to worry about opening it up.
    Last edited by Drahzere; 2013-07-12 at 02:51 PM.
    Armory 7/7M 6/10M

I don't mind the steam client but I like the Origin client slightly better.

In either case The contents are still better when viewed in a normal browser.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fromis View Post
    Here's just a short list of problems I've had with Steam:

-Lag
    -The client is clunky and needs to be redesigned, imo.
    -Sometimes the download speed of games has been so slow it can't even be considered decent by todays standards and no I can assure you this is not cause of my connection.
    - The fact that Steam HAS to run in the background at all times to play any games is just ridiculous.
    Lag isn't an issue on Steam outside of the Summer Sale or certain other rare occasions, and that's because their servers get hammered during those times. Anyone developing server architecture would tell you that you engineer for normal peak, not the heaviest load ever.

"Clunky and needs to be redesigned" is pretty darned subjective.

Download speed is 90% of the time an issue with your connection, not Steam. And when it is Steam, it's for the same reason as lag; their servers are getting hammered because everyone and their dog is trying to download stuff.

Steam having to run is the DRM you consented to when buying the game. And it doesn't even have to connect to the Internet; it's about as light a possible DRM as there could be.

And now, today, I just can't seem to be able to purchase a couple of games. With the Steam Summer sale I was hoping I could pick 1-2 games up but that doesn't seem to be a possibility. All I get as a message is this, which seems to be complete bullshit.

"Your purchase has not been completed. Your credit card information has been declined by your credit card company.

Note that in some cases, your credit card company may put a 'hold' on funds in your account, but you will not be charged. After correcting any errors in the information displayed below, please try your purchase again."

"An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.
    Please contact Steam Support."
    Your credit card being declined is not in any way Steam's fault, dude. Either you entered it incorrectly, or your card is maxxed out, or your card company doesn't like Steam for some reason and is auto-declining requests from Steam (could be for security reasons, since it's an online purchase). Under any of the possible circumstances, it's an issue to take up with your card company, not Steam.

I have never had any issues with steam since I started using it back in 2003. Yeah it sucked at first but they quickly made it better (some of it was just hatred of change and them taking down WON).
    I had my account stolen once like in 2006 but got it back within 1-2 days and that problem was likely my fault.

Transactions always go through, download speeds are great, don't have any lag, background usage is minimal (i'm sure you have useless shit running that takes up more), never had any of these pop-up ads (not that I remember at least), never had any issue running a game.

@op, most of the things you are complaining about are on your end. How you fail to see that after being told it several times is just plain denial.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    only thing i dislike about steam is that they apparently force maintenance at midnight GMT. im playing with my friends and we all go offline at the same time. don't understand why they don't do it at like 6am or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Download speeds have been "shitty" (as in roughly 10Mbit) for a long while, but I believe in the latest 1-2 years I've finally been able to max out my download speed (100Mbit).
    you're complaining about that speed?

pff... I get 1.5mb/sec. I wish I was fed with a silver spoon like you....

Quote Originally Posted by siafu View Post
    only thing i dislike about steam is that they apparently force maintenance at midnight GMT. im playing with my friends and we all go offline at the same time. don't understand why they don't do it at like 6am or something.
    I've never had this problem. Me and a few friends have been routinely playing dota all night til the early hours of the next day without problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Really shouldn't complain about that. Most people cant even get that 10mbit that isnt enough for you. Up until recently I couldnt even get line speeds that high, on adsl2+ the highest I got was 2.5mbit, which is roughly 310kbps download speed.
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2013-07-12 at 05:30 PM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never had any issues with steam whatsoever. The download speed is incredible on steam as it bypasses the usual limit of 1 mb per second download. (going 2.5 mb/per second with a 10 mb/per second internet and 15 mb/per second on my other computer)

I usually just deposit money on my steam account to purchase stuff through iDeal (its a payment method in europe, extremely fast).

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    nah, love it. Starts up when my comp starts and contains all my games. Wouldnt trade it for the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    Really shouldn't complain about that. Most people cant even get that 10mbit that isnt enough for you. Up until recently I couldnt even get line speeds that high, on adsl2+ the highest I got was 2.5mbit, which is roughly 310kbps download speed.
    Of course it's a valid complaint, but I used apostrophes on the word shitty to indicate sarcasm.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never had these problems, ever. Most of the time the download speed is above what my actual theoretical max is.

Today it's slow because of the summer sale + a major update.

Quote Originally Posted by fromis View Post
    Personally I've never really had a good experience with Steam. There's always been something that's been bugging me or not working.

Here's just a short list of problems I've had with Steam:

-Lag
    -The client is clunky and needs to be redesigned, imo.
    -Sometimes the download speed of games has been so slow it can't even be considered decent by todays standards and no I can assure you this is not cause of my connection.
    - The fact that Steam HAS to run in the background at all times to play any games is just ridiculous.

And now, today, I just can't seem to be able to purchase a couple of games. With the Steam Summer sale I was hoping I could pick 1-2 games up but that doesn't seem to be a possibility. All I get as a message is this, which seems to be complete bullshit.

"Your purchase has not been completed. Your credit card information has been declined by your credit card company.

Note that in some cases, your credit card company may put a 'hold' on funds in your account, but you will not be charged. After correcting any errors in the information displayed below, please try your purchase again."

"An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.
    Please contact Steam Support."

Now is it just me or is Steam completely fucking useless? I just can't put into words how much I hate the client.

/end of rant
    I've never lagged on Steam, not even once.

The client is fine. Everything is easy to find and use.

All the games I download on Steam will download and install faster than putting in the CD and installing from there. Not even exaggerating.

Steam takes like 20mb of ram and pretty close to zero bandwidth.

And never experienced the problem you're describing with multiple forms of payment.

- - - Updated - - -

Steam doesn't distribute games at 100 mbps. Or 80. Or 70. Or 60. Or 50. Or 40. Or 30. Or 20.

10+ Year Old Account
    never used it, so no issues at all^^