Thread: [TV] Siberia

15+ Year Old Account

[TV] Siberia

Idea is "no-rules Survivor style reality show set in Siberia goes horribly wrong".
    Probably won't be amazing, but the first episode has enough promise that I'll be watching more.

Full pilot is on NBC's website: http://www.nbc.com/siberia/video/pilot/n38363/

15+ Year Old Account
    So what's it supposed to be, i really can't tell from the trailers. Supernatural, Monsters (like big foot), Aliens? Or just animals and survival?

SO obvious ~ starting with the false ghost story...the fake growls in the woods, the fake monster in the woods, the poisonous mushrooms, (poison cannot be extracted by boiling,) & the fake death of a camera man.

they have to get contestants to quit, so they're using scare tactics. if the death was real, the host would not of brought money into the conversation. the 1st girl that got to the settlement was creepy. how she got there so fast was suspicious. I think she's in on the whole thing.

it's hard to believe the contestants are really buying any of it.

- - - Updated - - -

it's a game show that's using fear to get contestants to quit. none of the "dangers" are real. not even the mushrooms. you cannot extract poison from mushrooms by boiling them...duh!

Quote Originally Posted by wildhorse View Post
    SO obvious ~ starting with the false ghost story...the fake growls in the woods, the fake monster in the woods, the poisonous mushrooms, (poison cannot be extracted by boiling,) & the fake death of a camera man.

they have to get contestants to quit, so they're using scare tactics. if the death was real, the host would not of brought money into the conversation. the 1st girl that got to the settlement was creepy. how she got there so fast was suspicious. I think she's in on the whole thing.

it's hard to believe the contestants are really buying any of it.

- - - Updated - - -

it's a game show that's using fear to get contestants to quit. none of the "dangers" are real. not even the mushrooms. you cannot extract poison from mushrooms by boiling them...duh!
    It's a drama not a reality game show. 100% scripted.

It got me interested. Think it might have some potential

And they're setting it up for supernatural Solidito

15+ Year Old Account
    The toxins in A. muscaria are water soluble. When sliced thinly, or finely diced and boiled in plentiful water until thoroughly cooked, it seems to be detoxified.[64] Although its consumption as a food has never been widespread, the consumption of detoxified A. muscaria has been practised in some parts of Europe (notably by Russian settlers in Siberia) since at least the 19th century, and likely earlier.
    wiki

Second episode was pretty boring. There were a couple (unintentionally, or at least tongue-in-cheek) funny moments, but random noises in the forest aren't going to keep viewers. I guess that one strange woman (the one that unexplainedly got there first) unexplainedly hanging out in a dark cave is a little bit interesting, and the footprint.

LOST's first couple hours certainly set up a lot more mysteries, however unfair that comparison is.

i guess I just prefer reality shows that are a little more real....I loved the 1st episode..the 2nd just seemed stupid. too much fake panic.

Quote Originally Posted by wildhorse View Post
    i guess I just prefer reality shows that are a little more real....I loved the 1st episode..the 2nd just seemed stupid. too much fake panic.
    Again...Not a reality show.

I agree the second episode wasn't as good as the first. I thought they were totally setting up for a ghost story in the first episode and now it's going to be a big monster?I suppose it could be a big monster ghost.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I suppose it could be a big monster ghost.
    The nerdy dude's find of 'hieroglyphics' hints at some sort of monster.

"They're hunting something!"

Footprint almost makes it (assuming one species of monster) look like some sort of mech. The nerdy dude unhesitatingly called it an 'animal' in his voiceover telling us about the print though, so maybe it's just shitty fake-footprint-making.

Even though that only took up about 30seconds of the show, and no one seems particularly concerned about the 'monster', I guess that's a reasonable amount of hard evidence for episode two. Maybe the rest of the show just sucked. I liked the faux-Survivor setting in episode one, but most of the acting in this ep. either had me rolling my eyes or switching tabs. Half as much "What's wrong with [the young redhead]?!?!?!?" would have been plenty, for example.
    Last edited by Mnevis; 2013-07-09 at 10:23 PM.

You forgot the tree that was mangled. My point was though that it seemed they were setting it up for a ghost story in the first episode then they started seeing all the monster stuff in episode 2? Why even mention the ghost stuff?

I agree that the "what is wrong with her" stuff got annoying. It should have been obvious she was tripping balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    You forgot the tree that was mangled. My point was though that it seemed they were setting it up for a ghost story in the first episode then they started seeing all the monster stuff in episode 2? Why even mention the ghost stuff?

I agree that the "what is wrong with her" stuff got annoying. It should have been obvious she was tripping balls.
    What in episode one had you thinking ghosts? I don't recall ever thinking it was going to be a ghost story...

Quote Originally Posted by Youvegotfail View Post
    What in episode one had you thinking ghosts? I don't recall ever thinking it was going to be a ghost story...
    They were talking about the original settlers thinking the place was haunted.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't recall anything about hauntings, just that a bunch of people disappeared mysteriously 100 years ago.

Anyways, Ep 4 definitely had my attention more than 2 or 3. I hope there is an actual ending planned though, it's seeming hard to connect all the various oddities of their experience so far.