Do Pallys use Polearms

Yes, I know, probably a noob question, but I've never bothered to use them before but now I'm asking.

Would polearms be effective on a Retribution Pally?

Also, on a side note, would it be effective for a Retribution pally to use a 1 hander and a shield or a protection pally to use a 2h weapon?

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, no and no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Would polearms be effective on a Retribution Pally?
    Yes as long as they had strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Also, on a side note, would it be effective for a Retribution pally to use a 1 hander and a shield or a protection pally to use a 2h weapon?
    No and no.

To elaborate a little more on that:
    Polearms on ret: Yes, paladins can use pole-arms. As of late, most polearms have been agility, although blizz has said they'd introduce more strength pole-arms.
    No, Ret will never use 1h+shield (even for oh shit defensive purposes). Your damage is 90% weapon damage.
    No, Protection will never use 2h (even for burst damage). Some spells require 1h, and your entire defensive arsenal is built on having a shield equipped.

Lore wise Blood Elf paladins prefer pole-arms.

Not sure what kinds of questions these are, since they're pretty self-evident if you have a basic understanding of the game and class' mechanics (and if you don't, then you really should be asking questions about that, rather than vague stuff like "are polearms good", when if something is a polearm or not has no impact upon how good a weapon it is), but in order: Yes if it had useful stats, no, no.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Thank you for your insight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bo-Ris, Horror in the Night
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=95498

totally viable, not best for 2ndary stats but absolutely useable.

I rock a Heroic Bo-Ris as Ret, and love it. #1 Xmog with the Alliance polearm from TOGC too, with the CM set (in sig).
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, no and no

Anything, no matter the weapon model...if it has strength, i see no real problem with it

no, rets should NEVER NEVER NEVER use 1h and shield for dps

no, prots should NEVER NEVER NEVER use 2handers...to my knowledge, you can't even use some of your abilities w/o a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by delk View Post
    Yes as long as they had strength.
    This is not quite true. The Spear of Xuen (Archaeology 463, upgradeable to 471) is a fantastic leveling weapon for Arms warriors and Ret paladins even though it's an Agility-based weapon. It's an outlier though since it's equippable at level 85 - it's the high iLevel relative to when you can equip it and the base weapon DPS that makes it so good.

At endgame you never want to use anything but a strength-based weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ximinez View Post

I like the stats on it. Both are stats that benefit me pretty well. Expertise and Mastery.

Uroe has crit/mastery. Crit is meh.
    Zerat has hit/crit. Crit is meh. Hit, we have way too much of this tier.
    Greatsword of Frozen Hells has crit/haste. Crit is meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ximinez View Post

Arguably it is BIS

Any 2h with Strength is good for retri, regardless of weapon type.

However certain races get bonuses for weapon types so match that up.

But polearms with strength are as good as axe/sword/mace.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I recall, back in Vanilla, I was able to get a new blue polearm every 10 levels or so for fairly cheap on AH, because no one wanted to use them, and therefore they sold poorly; if I'd wanted a 2h sword, I'd've had to've paid 3-4x as much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanyn View Post
    I like the stats on it. Both are stats that benefit me pretty well. Expertise and Mastery.

Uroe has crit/mastery. Crit is meh.
    Zerat has hit/crit. Crit is meh. Hit, we have way too much of this tier.
    Greatsword of Frozen Hells has crit/haste. Crit is meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Arguably it is BIS
    right, haste/mastery would be ideal if already at the expt cap, but that combo apparently got skipped this round.

Quote Originally Posted by Camaris View Post
    This is not quite true. The Spear of Xuen (Archaeology 463, upgradeable to 471) is a fantastic leveling weapon for Arms warriors and Ret paladins even though it's an Agility-based weapon. It's an outlier though since it's equippable at level 85 - it's the high iLevel relative to when you can equip it and the base weapon DPS that makes it so good.

At endgame you never want to use anything but a strength-based weapon.
    This is also not necessarily true. Depending in how bad your previous weapon was, the agility polearm from Lie Shen is better for weapon damage alone. I wouldn't recommend taking it over a feral/windwalker, but it is viable.

That's a very good point, Revvo. As someone who went straight from an upgraded Starshatter to a Greatsword of Frozen Hells less than a month ago, it should have occurred to me that there are current-content examples of Rets who'd be better off even with an AGL polearm.

As you said, it certainly shouldn't go to a Ret over a Windwalker or Feral, but it's better than turning it into a Sha Crystal.