Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Anime] Clannad and Angel Beats!

Have you watched either? Honestly, these two are probably the best anime I have ever seen in my life, and I'm so glad I found out about them.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

They are pretty good. Definitely got me choked up at a few moments.

I only seen Clannad: After Story not the original. The thing I liked about this anime was how it moved from high school naivete to adult maturity. I don't see that very often in Anime often it is one or the other with a heavy leaning for the former. Very touching slice of life anime. The episode when he goes back to meet his father was a particularly difficult episode to watch.

Angel Beats was also a great anime. There was a lot of criticism on it being only 12 episodes instead of a full season of 26. Personally I liked the pacing. I could see that it could have dragged on longer with the character episodes but IMO that would have gotten boring. I liked how the anime evolved where it changed its formula ever few episodes so just when you get used to something it changes into something new.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love Clannad, I cried manly tears for... about 75% of that show, the ending to afterstory kinda ruined it though, IMO.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Clanned is very good, I like Angle beats as well but I think around the end(not the ending) and the lack of fleshed out characters did hurt it a bit and while the last scene was fairly emotional when you think about it, it's not the greatest ending and it has its problems. Both are really good and cant wait to watch Clannad After Story. Btw any other suggestions of anime like this?

Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    Clanned is very good, I like Angle beats as well but I think around the end(not the ending) and the lack of fleshed out characters did hurt it a bit and while the last scene was fairly emotional when you think about it, it's not the greatest ending and it has its problems. Both are really good and cant wait to watch Clannad After Story. Btw any other suggestions of anime like this?
    How so? If you piece it together, the ending was one of the greatest you will see.

I've heard of them, but don't know much about either. Can anyone summarize what they're about without spoiling anything? I would like to watch some anime again, been awhile since I did!

Quote Originally Posted by Mjau View Post
    I've heard of them, but don't know much about either. Can anyone summarize what they're about without spoiling anything? I would like to watch some anime again, been awhile since I did!
    Angel Beats is about a school in the limbo of the afterlife where teenagers or youths who have strong regrets, desires, or negative feelings of their life go to, to enjoy the youth that was robbed from them, and find ultimately peace to pass onto the unknown. The series follows a group of rebels who are against this, believing God is cruel and merciless for the lives they were given, and fight against him.

Clannad is about a delinquent teenager living a broken life, who one day crosses paths with a young girl on the way to school, and it follows their life from there all the way to adulthood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Have you watched either? Honestly, these two are probably the best anime I have ever seen in my life, and I'm so glad I found out about them.
    Angel Beats sucked, or well it's 5/10. Great concept got raped, boring characters, bad romance, forced drama and action wasn't that great either. Haven't seen Clannad but it looks like it actually could be good compared to the piece of shit Angel Beats is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im gonna watch Clannad. Shud i watch the 2007 one first? Or the after story?

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Angel Beats is about a school in the limbo of the afterlife where teenagers or youths who have strong regrets, desires, or negative feelings of their life go to, to enjoy the youth that was robbed from them, and find ultimately peace to pass onto the unknown. The series follows a group of rebels who are against this, believing God is cruel and merciless for the lives they were given, and fight against him.

Clannad is about a delinquent teenager living a broken life, who one day crosses paths with a young girl on the way to school, and it follows their life from there all the way to adulthood.
    Thanks! Clannad sounds the most interesting really. I'll check it out when I have time!

Quote Originally Posted by Imbashiethz View Post
    Im gonna watch Clannad. Shud i watch the 2007 one first? Or the after story?
    Look at the title of after story, and it should be pretty obvious. After story is in my opinion the better of the two, but it relies greatly on you already knowing the characters, by watching the first season.

Also i don't get why people like angel beats so much. It looked gorgeous and had a good sound track, but that's really all good i can say about it, the story itself was a huge rushed mess. Maybe it could have been a solid show if it was twice as long, but as it is it just felt like forced drama after forced drama about characters you didn't care about because they barely had any screentime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I don't really like either. But Angel beats was too rushed, especially since it was intended to be 24-26 episodes.

Deleted
    I shed manly tears during both of them. I really loved both of them, dont remember the ending of Clannad: After Story though gonna have to rewatch that. Both of them are on my top 5 anime list, if you havent watched them watch them!

I haven't seen Clannad yet, I do plan to watch it soon though.

Angel Beats was really good however, but I don't really see why people found it terribly sad. The absurdly massive plothole kind of ruined it for me, really. But the ending wasn't particularly sad in my opinion, nothing to cry over.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been trying to watch Clannad (been trying on and off for a long time now actually) but I'm too much of a crybaby. I've managed to finish the Kotomi story but it'll be a while before I muster the strength to go on. My tears need to recharge :|

Yes, and i lost while watching both.. angel beats started as a Haruhi lookalike (for me at least) and ended up tearing me up (and not in the good,amazing way that we saw in the disappearance of Haruhi..) like a kid who lost his favorite teddy-bear.. It is one of those animes that i want a season two for, alltough the anime ended perfectly and does not need a season two.

my thoughts on clannad:
    Roses are red
    Voilets are blue
    Nagisa dies
    in season two

fu*king tears man.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

15+ Year Old Account
    i try watching clannad but tearjerkers make me give up because i can't continue...

u can watch both clannad independant without feeling u missed something.

basicly its like this:
    Clannad.. highschool life and the choices u make while experiencing youth school style
    Clannad after story.. what happens after skool, how does life go on, and choices u have to make as an adult.

seen both after eachother, i'll tell u u wont regret it as its a great anime, but i'll also tell u that u can watch either one without the other.

i also recommend the ova's it wont add anything new to the choices made in both, but a seperate short story with "what if" when diffrent choices had been made.
    Clannad: Mou Hitotsu no Sekai, Tomoyo-hen / Clannad: Another World, Tomoyo Chapter
    and
    Clannad: Mou Hitotsu no Sekai, Kyou-hen / Clannad: Another World, Kyou Chapter
    Last edited by Demontjuh; 2013-12-04 at 08:23 PM.
    Be passionate about the craft, achievements, events and community.
    But do not worship the machine, pedestal nor system.
    You cannot afford to be blind, for yourself and others.

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of sick person wrote After Story? Why would anyone think this would be an enjoyable thing for people to watch? I'm so angry and sad right now that it's making me physically sick lol.

Is it a sign of good writing to get me so worked up? Or is it just evil?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    What kind of sick person wrote After Story? Why would anyone think this would be an enjoyable thing for people to watch? I'm so angry and sad right now that it's making me physically sick lol.

Is it a sign of good writing to get me so worked up? Or is it just evil?
    It's supposed to be a tragedy! The show is certainly designed to cut you deep.