Mage Spell Blades- good or bad?

Seeing some mages use spell blades, etc. What's the major difference between them and a Staff besides cosmetic?

Wat is this a role playing thread

Infracted.
    Last edited by Shangalar; 2013-07-12 at 04:48 PM.

main hand and offhand > staff

given equal item levels, MH+OH usually have more int (offhand int enchant) and potential greater variety of secondary stats. Staves usually but not always, have more total secondary stats than the MH+OH combo.

Since for some specs 2 haste/crit/mastery > 1 int; you should actually check the math for your particular stat weights and see if the extra stats on the staff make up for the extra int from MH+OH combo.

Most of the time, the above poster is correct that MH+OH > staff; but getting 2 upgrades isn't always as easy. So check the math and see which is better.

10+ Year Old Account
    its all just pixels, just go by the stats and numbers.

Spell Blades will have better Transmog options than Staves. There is a decent looking Staff here and there, but there are all kinds of amazing looking 1H Swords.

If you can get a high ilvl Staff, you won't have to worry about getting 2 drops (high ilvl 1H and high ilvl OH). A Shadow Priest in our group got the Wand from Horridon 10N but still uses his 516 Staff since he doesn't have a decent off-hand piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    given equal item levels, MH+OH usually have more int (offhand int enchant) and potential greater variety of secondary stats. Staves usually but not always, have more total secondary stats than the MH+OH combo.

Since for some specs 2 haste/crit/mastery > 1 int; you should actually check the math for your particular stat weights and see if the extra stats on the staff make up for the extra int from MH+OH combo.

Most of the time, the above poster is correct that MH+OH > staff; but getting 2 upgrades isn't always as easy. So check the math and see which is better.
    Thank you for an actual answer. Played a Mage since Wrath, but was always told that Staves are better, but was never told why. Thanks!

Also bear in mind that certain races get racial advantages for having one type of weapon over another; for example, Humans have a specialization which grants 1% expertise when wielding one- or two-handed swords, so a sword main-hand + offhand is practically guaranteed to be BiS for human mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Smigel View Post
    There is a decent looking Staff here and there, but there are all kinds of amazing looking 1H Swords.
    Too bad a dagger is my BiS and all daggers look dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Youvegotfail View Post
    Alysra's Razor is a pretty good looking Dagger. I was fortunate enough to get a heroic one for "Transmog spec" while we were farming Firelands. It looks like it's on Fire. Fang of Oblivion/Starshard Edge from Ulduar are pretty nice looking. Rathrak, the Poisoned Mind isn't bad, either.

Daschal's Bite, Perilous Bite, Black Knight's Rondel, and Shadowbite are all the same model and are a little bit different than most of the daggers you'll run in to.

Quote Originally Posted by Youvegotfail View Post
    I like Jaded Crystal Dagger (http://www.wowhead.com/item=34604).

Among 1h swords Continuum Blade (http://www.wowhead.com/item=29185) is my favorite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TacTican View Post
    Also bear in mind that certain races get racial advantages for having one type of weapon over another; for example, Humans have a specialization which grants 1% expertise when wielding one- or two-handed swords, so a sword main-hand + offhand is practically guaranteed to be BiS for human mages.
    Gnomes have 5% bonus mana pool and a 1% Expertise bonus with Daggers and 1H Swords.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

if you like int its better. if you like another stat its negotiable.