Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Im scared to death for the upcoming interracial generation. Heres why,

The recent uproar over a cherrios commercial displaying an interracial couple made me happy when so many people stood up for the company. But I feel that a much bigger issue is being overlooked in the upcoming interracial saga. And that issue is the desire for cultural identity displayed by cultures in the United States.

Me and my siblings are mixed (Black farther and white mother) And despite our several disagreements, our opinions are the same when it came to the difficulties of growing up mixed. Throughout our childhood, other people, (black and white alike) placed an ultimatum on us. Either assimilate and conform into our culture or be labeled as the other and alienated. THroughout High school, expectations were placed on me to talk, walk, and act particular ways by my black colleagues. My inability to do so automatically labeled me as "white" or even worse "faggot".The expectations on acting "white" by my white colleagues were just as difficult at times. Failure to do so commonly resulting in labels that linked blacks to criminal activity and an insatiable lust towards white women.

This environment of expectations not only will make the lives of mixed children a confusing hell, but it could possibly eliminate the individuality of mixed children and force them to think ethnocentrically very early on.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2013-07-12 at 05:18 PM.

Yeah, I didn't like it either. The Mexicans expected me to do this and that, not like white kids etc, then they'd make fun of me, because I don't speak Spanish. The white kids, on the other hand, didn't really bother with me about it. I would get teased for not liking some things, but I wasn't ridiculed for it. It's unfortunate that people can't just be Americans, they insist of being hyphenated-Americans.

I figure after maybe 2-3 generations, it would hopefully have worked itself out.

10+ Year Old Account
    my mother is semi-racist person. She doesn't care about gay/lesbian as long as she does not see it and pretends it does not exists. I'm white russian and when a black person moves in her building (rich and nice nothing like the stereotype of the "ghetto" ) she gets offended. To me I wanted to be different and in my opinion people are people. The media doesn't help the situation either. Bottom line is there are 10000000's of people growing up with parents who are like mine. Not all people like myself choose to act differently towards others...some follow the ideals of their parents. That means my kids will be more tolerant (i will dam be sure of that one) while some won't be. In 2-3 generation it will be get better because my kids (or their generation ) is the one that will be in politics trying to change things and ideals of less bigoted people will be more dominant.

It can't get much worse imo it can only get better and we need to try to educate the next gen as much as we can about tolerance, respect and compassion and much much much much much less religion.

The expectations imposed upon one by society to act and conduct oneself a certain way based on something as arbitrary as race/gender/orientation/etc is a backward mindset that will inevitably die out given enough time, along with other such horseshit as religion/abortion-bashing/government-mandated murder aka capital punishment/etc. It is the only way forward. We have come a long way from throwing men into pits with lions for our amusement, and we are only continuing in that vector. Give it enough time.

In the mean time, stop talking about it. That "hyphenated-american" thing you guys have going on in the US is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    THroughout High school, expectations were placed on me to talk, walk, and act particular ways by my black colleagues. My inability to do so automatically labeled me as "white" or even worse "faggot".The expectations on acting "white" by my white colleagues were just as difficult at times.
    Using proper grammar and speaking with clarity isn't "white" or "black", it's displaying your intelligence. Ignore anyone (black, white, or otherwise) that tells you differently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    The expectations imposed upon one by society to act and conduct oneself a certain way based on something as arbitrary as race/gender/orientation/etc is a backward mindset that will inevitably die out given enough time, along with other such horseshit as religion/abortion-bashing/government-mandated murder aka capital punishment/etc. It is the only way forward. We have come a long way from throwing men into pits with lions for our amusement, and we are only continuing in that vector. Give it enough time.

In the mean time, stop talking about it. That "hyphenated-american" thing you guys have going on in the US is ridiculous.

thats just unrealistic. Things like this can and will continue for a long time.

as a mixed person myself, ive too experienced different expectations based on my perceived race. i recall one time when kids at school saw my dark skinned mother for the first time, suddenly i was treated much more friendly by certain groups. conversely, people have also began to treat me very rudely and even try to start a fight once they found out about my mixed heritage.

this is partly why the whole concept of race bothers me on a fundamental level. but perhaps once more and more people are mixed more people will accept that its time to let go of such labels.

It's only as realistic as abolishing slavery, but we were able to do that eventually after much hardship. Seriously, cultural attitudes just need to change, and people need to be more open-minded, even so-called "open-minded liberals" who truly aren't open-minded (not an attack on social liberals). That's all it takes. It might take a while, and be an arduous task, but it can be done.

When skin color becomes as superficial as the color of your hair, then racism will basically be finished. That's all it takes.
    Last edited by FTAzai; 2013-07-12 at 06:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    Rejoining Britain would be a liberal's wet dream. They could get rid of the Bill of Rights, have nationalist healthcare, have open borders, guns would be banned, they'd have a weak foreign policy, etc.
    Gotta love MMOChampion's insightful and profound remarks on politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FTAzai View Post
    It's only as realistic as abolishing slavery, but we were able to do that eventually after much hardship. Seriously, cultural attitudes just need to change, and people need to be more open-minded, even so-called "open-minded liberals" who truly aren't open-minded (not an attack on social liberals). That's all it takes. It might take a while, and be an arduous task, but it can be done.
    It's not just one culture that needs to change though, all cultures will have to. And if a culture feels as though it is dying out, it is going to want identity through it's 50 percenters.

why? it makes perfect sense.

I'm a mixed race American and I've found the best solution is self-identifying with a tradition. I'm half hispanic, half italian. I care very little for both cultures and both languages, despite growing up immersed in both. Having multiculturalism shoved down my throat from an early age was counterproductive.

But I grew up in Massachusetts and patterned myself on the Puritan morality and WASP work ethic that is traditional in these parts, with the family-centric flair of my Hispanic and Italian heritage.

So I identify as just "me", because identifying as anything else is far too limiting.

Sadly, there's too much at stake for the race-baiting industry in America for harmony between ethnicities to become feasible. Too many politicians and bureaucrats make too good a living off the race platform on all sides of the line to really try and push for everyone coming together. If it happens, it would be wonderful. But hope for the best and expect the worst, the saying goes.

Deleted
    The thing is that I don't think there was a problem. When I see a mixed couple, I don't usually even notice it or at least don't look at them negatively. That said, I can't stand the forced rainbow multicultural commercials where that sort of thing is idolized and promoted. The lets join hands and have people of all races in all our our families, see how happy we are!

Don't be scared. Fear is born of ignorance. Eventually people will realise being mixed ultimately means nothing.

And those who don't will continue to be mocked, by increasingly more people. Who cares what 'race' your parents are? The President of the USA is mixed white and african, one of my best friends is mixed southeast asian and indian, and another friend is mixed from so many different cultures that its hard to keep up (mostly native american, multi-national white and african).

Its not a problem unless someone makes it one. And such people aren't worth the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    why? it makes perfect sense.
    People in America to flat out stop talking about race and changing cultural expectations is a dream, and I highly doubt it will be a reality by the time this interracial generation ages or even when I am dust.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Don't be scared. Fear is born of ignorance. Eventually people will realise being mixed ultimately means nothing.

And those who don't will continue to be mocked, by increasingly more people. Who cares what 'race' your parents are? The President of the USA is mixed white and african, one of my best friends is mixed southeast asian and indian, and another friend is mixed from so many different cultures that its hard to keep up (mostly native american, multi-national white and african).

Its not a problem unless someone makes it one. And such people aren't worth the time.
    It's not individuals, it's a consensus in society of every race forcing expectations on interracials.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't a racial issue. It's a socialization issue. This can be true whether we're talking about different racial cultures, or different socioeconomic levels, or different religions, or different regions. It's a culture clash, not a racial one.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-07-12 at 07:01 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    People in America to flat out stop talking about race and changing cultural expectations is a dream, and I highly doubt it will be a reality by the time this interracial generation ages or even when I am dust.
    I hope you live a long life.

Deleted
    First of I need to say that Im not american, so I dont know how it is over there. For me, it is not so much race related as nationality orientated, where are you from? is the question often posed. Similarly kids from mixed national (sometimes racial) backgrounds often encounter same difficulties, I am not scared for the upcoming interracial generation. I feel pity for them, because they encounter issues of belonging, expectations that they never meet all the time. It's hard on them. However there is a huge upside, their children and the children who grew up with them will think it is the most normal thing in the world.

Shame for this generation, however pioneers often have to endure hardships so the next generation can profit.

and at the same time people say that we should see the world with childrens eyes... suuuuure!
    children laugh at other children for the stupidest of reasons earth has ever heard of, and make them feel like they have to conform to some bullshit "norm".

i say screw kids(not literally!) and let everybody be who he wants to be, without others laughing at him!

seriously, whenever people say that kids see the world with the right eyes, i wanna punch them in the face. "look he drew a rainbowpony, so cuuute!" but when that kid goes and hates on the kids who are different from him, then suddenly everybody isnt looking anymore...

this really fucking grinds my gears! racism starts as soon as kids learn to talk and it is not copied from the parents! it is due to a severe lack of understanding!

and no, i am not one of the singled out kids... i am a white male who accepts anybody, even those who the majority is hating on right now.. (not naming them, but you problably know who im talking about).
    Last edited by Ghul; 2013-07-12 at 07:03 PM.

I can only imagine how much of a pain in the ass that must be OP. Kudos to you for being who you want to be and not conforming to anyone else's perceived standards.

One thing that I find interesting, and bugs me a little bit, is that everyone assumes that interacial couples are only Black/Mexican/Asian male and a white girl. When you see a black guy with a white girl, lots of people are like "good for her for not being judgmental" if you see a black girl with a white guy or a Mexican girl with a white guy, the minority males get seriously pissed off, and even outright offensive to the couple.

Hell I've even seen couples attacked.

Where I live and in my occupation (military) I see lots of Black girls with White guys with mixed children, and when people see a white guy with the kids they assume that they must be a kidnapper or a babysitter.