Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It is now a pretty much meaningless term. Although it has contributed some of the most hilarious terms to the game's lexicon, eg Mongolian Earthworm Cleave.
    Yeah, the usage of the word "cleave" in arena comp names has nothing to do with its actual meaning in English and very little to do with its conventional use in the rest of WoW (a "cleave" attack being one that does significant "splash" damage to a limited number of opponents near the primary target).

It's sort of like how the Japanese use English words as linguistic decoration with little respect for their actual meaning. Banana cleave! Brimstone cleave! Fake hair cleave! Clamato cleave!

10+ Year Old Account
    Bio back in one

not what most people think it is
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Bio back in one

not what most people think it is
    bbiab: be back in a bit
    bbias: " " sec(ond)
    bbiam: " " minute

A lot of this lingo is from IRC or earlier online/chat networks (like CompuServe and GEnie). Then it crossed over to SMS (Text Messaging) and teens devolved it into LOLspeak. It really isn't WoW specific.

OMG
    ZOMG (OMG with added emphasis)
    ZOMFG
    OMGWTF
    ZOMFGWTFBBQ (BBQ is extra otherwise meaningless letters for even more emphasis)

10+ Year Old Account
    Most arena related things I don't get, but I don't try to either, since I don't bother with arena.

Also I hate reading guides for a class I am not that familiar with, only to be assaulted by a billion abbreviations that I need to look up. It is just annoying, especially since there's often a couple different versions for several things.

Early on I was confused by people using "bio" for bathroom break, mostly because it as always Swedish people who used this term in my experience. And bio is often used for "movie theater", it's silly but oh well. It's a long time ago :P

10+ Year Old Account
    SMH's one of the general abbreviations I failed to understand so far.
    Thank goodness for this thread's existence though

Though I also never understood arena players that say LFM 2's/3's/5's for KFC Cleave, Jungle Cleave, etc, what does that exactly mean?

Quote Originally Posted by TrollShaman View Post
    SMH's one of the general abbreviations I failed to understand so far.
    Thank goodness for this thread's existence though

Though I also never understood arena players that say LFM 2's/3's/5's for KFC Cleave, Jungle Cleave, etc, what does that exactly mean?
    Common comps that have picked up a name. KFC cleave is redundant, though, because KFC = Kung Fu Cleave, which IIRC is War/Hunter/Shaman.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Couldn't we come up with something better than DM= Deadmines= Dire maul, or MT= Mana Tombs= Magister Terrace?
    On my TBC server Magister's Terrace was called MgT

Here's the list on Arena comp names:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6758256977

Think it covers almost all the comps.

Since Cleave keeps coming up, I think I'll throw this interesting tidbit in: Cleave is its own antonym.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

ROFLMAOSHMSFOAIDMT = Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off so hard my sombrero fell off and I dropped my taco.
    You're all very, very welcome
    Last edited by Fooicus; 2013-07-15 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Mistake :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kajikami View Post
    OP = over powered.

I think the poster was being sarcastic :P

Deleted
    You'll never be able to stay up to date with arena comps and their abbreviations.

True confession:
    For the longest time, I was oblivious to what the heck a faceroll was.

When I figured it out, not only did I literally LOL, but that became my default mental image of certain in-game antics and the people responsible for them. Huntards, failocks, retardins (and given I have a hunter, lock, and retpally I learned most of what NOT to do from those scenes)...but not every 'whoops' is a faceroll, just certain specific ones.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Wailing Caverns?
    Don't forget "wrong channel."
    Statix will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Day Dreamer View Post
    You'll never be able to stay up to date with arena comps and their abbreviations.
    Actually you can. There's only so many comps before you've explored every possibility, and then rule out the ones that simply aren't viable, say for instance, triple blood dk. Then you're left with the ones that eventually have names or abbreviations. Plus, most if not all of the ones on that list still exist, or even if they aren't run use the same name. It's sort of become an accepted thing.

Either a combination of first person to come up with the name or first name that catches on. Though people get annoyed with it I actually find the whole 'ludicrous' name thing amusing and somewhat whimsical. I enjoy seeing weird names like Mongolian Earthworm Cleave (that don't seem to make ANY sense), and some names that DO make sense (like Spicy Chicken Cleave), but are still comical.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    at least 80% of people don't know what PST means.

"Please send tell" not a whispering noise. "PST me" makes you look stupid.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    I didn't know what "FoTM" meant until about...a month ago.

And I wish I hadn't found out.

Still haven't a clue as to what FML means, and plan on not finding out.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycefli View Post
    I didn't know what "FoTM" meant until about...a month ago.

And I wish I hadn't found out.

Still haven't a clue as to what FML means, and plan on not finding out.
    FML = fuck my life. probably best you didn't know, bunch of whiners anyway.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispirit View Post
    I didn't know how the word "gank" came about until there was a post i believe by ghostcrawler a while back that kindly defined it as a sort of abbreviated "guaranteed kill"
    Gank stands for "Gang-up and kill." It's a term that has kind of lost meaning over time because in games like WoW it has long been possible to "gank" 1v1 because of the OP nature of stealth openers and one-shot macros.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"