Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    They dont cause, servers get cheaper and more economic on the power consumed and AC needed, Bandwidth got pretty inexpensive aswell.
    I'd think main part of their cost drivers would be staff salaries, not hardware/bandwidth/machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamyz View Post
    I'd think main part of their cost drivers would be staff salaries, not hardware/bandwidth/machinery.
    More BS, ppl are happy to get payed the same they were back in 2007 becuase of the economic crisis, nevertheless all the name changes/server xfers etc give them plenty of profit aswell not to mention the already established mount and pet shop

iam gonna buy the red one, morg it and then use the hide helm option.

ya know. For Fun.

Without going too much into the whole cosmetics/pay2win debate raging here..

They need to be able to monetize the game in some way in order to survive and keep development going, we've been paying the same static subscription price for almost 10 years now.
    With yearly inflation somewhere around 2.5-3% that $15 bucks 10 years ago was worth quite a bit more than it is today, so I'd guess they're under a lot of pressure to actually find working business model.

Bumping up the sub price would look really bad PR-wise and as the game is inevitably getting older and losing more players ... what would be the realistic alternative to covering the losses from static subscription pricing if not the cash shop items?

As much as I dislike the "cheap" feel of cash shops (especially if they're in-game/in-your-face), I think it's a fairly good interim solution for WoW.

I'm sure the Blizzard management has some sort of long-term strategy objectives in place to take the next steps (perhaps a possible free2play model) for when the next low-water performance indicator is reached (perhaps a sort of a free2play model?) - will be interesting to see what it is when we get there.

Moving more and more things to the cash shop (with different pricing points) gives them flexibility they need at the moment and it's a solid (and quite expected) business move - a bit surprised it took them this long - losing profits on static subs can't have been easy for them.

Gamewise.. I'm not so sure - but as long as it's not pure play2win shop and they don't implement too many reminder pop-ups while I'm running a raid, I'm resonably OK with it
    That's exactly what a subscription is for, Blizzard rakes in enough dough already this is the type of business practice i'd expect from a F2P / B2P game like GW2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    That's exactly what a subscription is for, Blizzard rakes in enough dough already this is the type of business practice i'd expect from a F2P / B2P game like GW2.
    Might as well go play GW2 now ...

Anyone know if they have a Mac client yet?

They need to be able to monetize the game in some way in order to survive and keep development going, we've been paying the same static subscription price for almost 10 years now.
    With yearly inflation somewhere around 2.5-3% that $15 bucks 10 years ago was worth quite a bit more than it is today, so I'd guess they're under a lot of pressure to actually find working business model.
    One would think that earning roughly $114 million per month from sub fees alone would be considered a "working business model".

Deleted
    My opinion is they want to lose more subs. I think this is the point of their works nowadays.
    In 2013 my whole guild (29 active players) stop paying for this game. These small things "bit by bit" are destroying the player base of the WoW...

WTF is that birdcrap "They need to be able to monetize the game in some way in order to survive and keep development going" Did you see the top 10 income/year games list? who is the first as always? So if they get more money than other MMOs what start from nothing and make awesome things... the Blizzard devs can not do anything useful for players after Cataclysm. WoW is not about entertainment nowadays. IT IS JUST A BIG FISH what eat our money for more profit (for more yachts....)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    More BS, ppl are happy to get payed the same they were back in 2007 becuase of the economic crisis, nevertheless all the name changes/server xfers etc give them plenty of profit aswell not to mention the already established mount and pet shop
    That's not really my experience, salaries have gone up significantly since 2007 as has cost of living - but I do have to say I don't work in the videogame industry, so perhaps it's different there.

Blizzard has cut some staff (mainly CS) and automated processes, I'd guess that would have been part of trying to become more cost efficient.

The server/faction/race/name transfers has most likely been quite a moneymaker so far - but as they're moving to Virtual Realms soon, I'd guess some of that profit would fall off - hence the need to put up more stuff in the cash shop.

Comon Blizzard. Subscription OR Cash Shop? You cant have it both ways. Thats why I have now cancelled my account.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dhru View Post
    WTF is that birdcrap "They need to be able to monetize the game in some way in order to survive and keep development going" Did you see the top 10 income/year games list? who is the first as always? So if they get more money than other MMOs what start from nothing and make awesome things... the Blizzard devs can not do anything useful for players after Cataclysm. WoW is not about entertainment nowadays. IT IS JUST A BIG FISH what eat our money for more profit (for more yachts....)
    Of course, but that's the nature of companies and shareholders - they should always make more profit. Failing to do so usually sparks layoffs and other nasty things (and sometimes just making less than expected profit - not losses - can do that.. which is just crazy).

I can agree it being bullshit and it would be nicer to change of our quarter-based economic panic to a more sustainable model, but I don't really see that happening any time soon. Andin the meantime, the people who run Activision-Blizzard must make sure the next quarter meets the shareholder expectations.

So they need extra revenue sources...

Deleted
    the people who run Activision-Blizzard must make sure the next quarter meets the shareholder expectations.
    So they need extra revenue sources...
    I can say now the next quarter will be really bad...

They lose subs as a result of they try to get more money becuase they lose subs!
    Stop the flow!

Not the players are the problem... The owners are too high! I would like to erase all of the managers who just wasting money to get more useless properties.
    Of cousre the game is old, BUT
    Like in other games: crap graphic with good story = win, crap graphic with useless, pointless story = crap, good graphic with useless, pointless story = what a waste of time.
    Last edited by mmocfd328e0b6e; 2013-07-14 at 03:29 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Let's give Blizz the XboxOne treatment sirs, cancel your subs for August as protest and enjoy the sun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    Let's give Blizz the XboxOne treatment sirs, cancel your subs for August as protest and enjoy the sun.
    That would kinda suck if they get Siege of Org out in August though :-P

For the record - not surprised about the cash shop, I think it's rather natural move, doesn't affect my gameplay and in the end I think I trust Blizzard to do it with quality and without trying to peddle p2w things on markets that don't want/like them.

So I trust them - until the day they prove me wrong and sell something else than just cosmetic pixels to me.
    And definitely not going to cancel my account over this, that would be rather silly.

(there are other things... like upgradeable valor items with same ilvl as 10-Normal rewards that make me want to quit more than a stupid pixel shop)

I see it like this. You pay for a subscription for a theme park. You can excess everything in the park. BUT when you are hungry, food is for your own expense (transfers/faction change). And now they are expending on their gift shop. I don't mind.

Without going too much into the whole cosmetics/pay2win debate raging here..

Bumping up the sub price would look really bad PR-wise and as the game is inevitably getting older and losing more players ... what would be the realistic alternative to covering the losses from static subscription pricing if not the cash shop items?

As much as I dislike the "cheap" feel of cash shops (especially if they're in-game/in-your-face), I think it's a fairly good interim solution for WoW.

I'm sure the Blizzard management has some sort of long-term strategy objectives in place to take the next steps (perhaps a possible free2play model) for when the next low-water performance indicator is reached (perhaps a sort of a free2play model?) - will be interesting to see what it is when we get there.

Moving more and more things to the cash shop (with different pricing points) gives them flexibility they need at the moment and it's a solid (and quite expected) business move - a bit surprised it took them this long - losing profits on static subs can't have been easy for them.

Gamewise.. I'm not so sure - but as long as it's not pure play2win shop and they don't implement too many reminder pop-ups while I'm running a raid, I'm resonably OK with it
    To survive? Really?

Yes, let's pretend they don't have plenty of money and this is just a necessary evil. God forbid a company starts making less money off a game after 9 years. Do you really think they can't make a profit with 8 mil subscribers without an ingame shop?

Quote Originally Posted by toddless View Post
    Remember those separate lockouts between 10 and 25 man everyone was whining about/praising to come back? Remember how those were released in Asia only? Remember how people like you said they were coming to the west?

....yep that happened...not.
    I would suggest you not hit the reply button if you're too ignorant to follow what is going on. They said it's going to asia in the OUTSET, look that word up I'm not going to waste time explaining it to you. They never said an extra lockout was coming to the west, in fact they stated the exact opposite.

That new mount is the same as that pony from two years ago but with some armor on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Selvari7 View Post
    Just when you thought this game couldn't go more downhill. Major sub losses inc.
    The sad part is that the (non-vocal) majority, like some people here, will just eat Blizzards advertisements up. And somehow support spending money on pets and mounts while those pets and mounts could have been in the game for free.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by toddless View Post
    Remember those separate lockouts between 10 and 25 man everyone was whining about/praising to come back? Remember how those were released in Asia only? Remember how people like you said they were coming to the west?

....yep that happened...not.
    When they change to F2P or pay per minute/hour they will bring seperate lockouts to the west.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2013-07-14 at 06:13 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warlocx View Post
    I see it like this. You pay for a subscription for a theme park. You can excess everything in the park. BUT when you are hungry, food is for your own expense (transfers/faction change). And now they are expending on their gift shop. I don't mind.
    You are forgetting about you purchasing the game; buying the game would be your entry to the theme park, and when you're in you have to pay for every attraction and food just like all other themeparks(sub games like WoW or, f2p like GW/SWtOR games with a shop) that work like this, but now you can not get into the front seat of the rollercoaster, you can not get the food that tastes better and you may not enter the best rollercoaster of the park, you will have to pay for it (item shop). Will you go to such a theme park that already charges you 13 Euro an hour AFTER you pay the 50 Euro entrance fee?

F2P/P2W : Game free, items/features cost money per in an itemshop
    Sub-Games: Game ~50E , items/features cost subscription.

Blizz is trying to get the best of both world regarding income, but we shouldn't just bend over.

Quote Originally Posted by warlocx View Post
    Corporate America rely on suckers like you to make money.