Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Obama's new power with the DHS

This is very troubling news if it indeed is fact.

http://www.examiner.com/article/obam...communications

RT had reported that in a secretly unannounced move, President Barack Obama signed anexecutive order giving the Department of Homeland Security the ability to shut down all of the United States' communications systems upon his request. Barack Obama laid out a statement he titled "Assignment of National Security Emergency Preparedness Communications Function". No doubt a very confusing title. The reasoning behind his issuing of this executive order, is that he feels the government may one day need to access all of our telephones, computers, cable communications, etc., in the name of national security.
    RELATED TOPICS

"The Federal Government must have the ability to communicate at all times and under all circumstances to carry out its most critical and time sensitive mission."
    The American public should be concerned about what this "mission" could be. In a presidential election, one candidate's mission may not be the same as his opponents. RT quotes the president as saying:
    "Such communications must be possible under all circumstances to ensure national security, effectively manage emergencies and improve national security.."
    The fact that our nation needs so much "national security" is puzzling, given the fact that President Obama has declared himself leader of the front that has ended terrorism in the U.S. It seems like now, more than ever, our nation is in peril according to the State Department; but many U.S. citizens are asking themselves, "From what?", or better yet, "From who?"
    According to Obama, the items of confiscation, or shut down can include: wireline, wireless, satellite, cable, broadcasting, internet, and other key information systems. Never in United States' history has a president given himself the authority to shut down the entire nation and immobilize the citizenry.
    The public has been alerted recently that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has been buying an excessive amount of weaponry and ammunitions; inclusive of hallow point bullets. DHS has also been given authority to "supervise" some protests throughout the nation. Tea Party groups have had several organized and peaceful protests circled by Department of Homeland Security officers, leading many to believe that DHS has been given the authority to intimidate as well.
    If you combine bullets with nationwide immobilizing of all communications, the power given unto the government, is a power our founding fathers never foresaw, nor wished.
    The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) recently announced that they had already used drones on Americans for surveillance. This is just one step closer to American's journey towards a police state.
    UPDATE
    Public Intelligence (July 9, 2013) has acquired copies of some security agreements between communications providers and different U.S. government organizations.
    The agreements give the ability to access data when legally requested. According to Public Intelligence, the agreements require companies to maintain...

"....what amounts to an 'internal corporate cell of American citizens with government clearances' ensuring that 'when U.S. government agencies seek access to the massive amounts of data flowing through their networks, the companies have systems in place to provide it securely'.”
    Shall we all be alarmed now?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Why be alarmed? It is the land of the free.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure this is all very necessary to fight off terrorism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drone part unnerves me. Unacceptable.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

although i do not agree with what obama has been doing lately, i would take anything from RT with a grain of salt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
    although i do not agree with what obama has been doing lately, i would take anything from RT with a grain of salt
    Ironically RT is more reliable and unbiased than most domestic american news sources.

Fascism always arrived to thunderous cheers, and the silencing of it's critics.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    What the hell? Doesnt this go against everything the US stands for.
    What does the US stand for, in your mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    Fascism always arrived to thunderous cheers, and the silencing of it's critics.
    I can see literally nobody cheering thunderously to this. Or anything thats happened in the last month or so with prism being leaked, spying on embassies, US intimidating other countries and forcing a sovereign president to land, and now this.

Wasn't "total control of all communications" literally the final stage in every slippery slope argument about this whole privacy thing. Well it just became a reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the hell? Doesnt this go against everything the US stands for.
    As it said in the article...

If you combine bullets with nationwide immobilizing of all communications, the power given unto the government, is a power our founding fathers never foresaw, nor wished.
    "A flower.

Source provided: the Examiner; maximum failure has already been achieved, and the fun hasn't even begun yet.

As I'm far too lazy; and tired of all this "1984," "Big Brother is watching" bullshit to come up with my own eloquent response, Robert Simmons of Facebook writes:

"Secretly unannounced"? While a phrase like that is redundant and nonsensical, I have to ask what is secret about a formal executive order that is published on the White House's website. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...RJrreM.twitter
    The order forms a committee to oversee and ensure effective dissemination of emergency broadcasting, and does not contain any wording that allows the president to "shut down all communications systems upon his request."
    Additionally, how can a sensationalist paraphrasing of an RT article reporting on an executive order signed one year ago be filed under "top news" other than as an attempt to take advantage of recent controversy? I'm not one to defend the establishment, but for the sake of respectable journalism, this is a very deceptive and lazy article."
    Last edited by King Shark; 2013-07-13 at 12:50 AM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    As it said in the article...

Clearly this won't go over well with people.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    What does the US stand for, in your mind?
    It is supposed to stand for freedom, true, freedom, more or less unhindered, and unlimited possibilities with how you can live, work, etc.

Obviously things aren't as they were back in, oh say, was it the 50s where we did so well? Maybe the 60s?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Clearly this won't go over well with people.
    The Founders never envisaged the President having the power to annihilate all life on Earth, either.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at the comments, I have to ask: why wasn't this an issue a year ago when it actually happened and was available for the public to see?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I mean, I always see Americans preaching about how they value freedom and all that jazz, surely this kind of stuff that Obamas trying to pull goes against all of that. And spits in the face of his supporters.
    And you actually believe that preaching? Christ.

Read the second quote in my signature for a hint of why that is rather silly.

Let's all see who can rush to a conclusion first!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Looking at the comments, I have to ask: why wasn't this an issue a year ago when it actually happened and was available for the public to see?
    Never saw it, else I would of said something.

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    I can see literally nobody cheering thunderously to this. Or anything thats happened in the last month or so with prism being leaked, spying on embassies, US intimidating other countries and forcing a sovereign president to land, and now this.

Wasn't "total control of all communications" literally the final stage in every slippery slope argument about this whole privacy thing. Well it just became a reality.
    They are still firmly in the "we love Barrack" camp.

They will meekly line up to the trough set up by his "successor".

Then again the cheering has all been orchestrated all along, and will continue to be.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    It is supposed to stand for freedom, true, freedom, more or less unhindered, and unlimited possibilities with how you can live, work, etc.
    And, point of fact, there has been a net gain in terms of civil liberties. Most of the US' present problems are actually caused by their wretched love of freedom at the expense of the common good.