Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    They are still firmly in the "we love Barrack" camp.

They will meekly line up to the trough set up by his "successor".

Then again the cheering has all been orchestrated all along, and will continue to be.
    If Obama puts butter his toast you'd call it a secret unprecedented assault on the jelly industry so you'll understand if no one uses your outrage barometer as a guide.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    Source provided: the Examiner; maximum failure has already been achieved, and the fun hasn't even begun yet.

As I'm far too lazy; and tired of all this "1984," "Big Brother is watching" bullshit to come up with my own eloquent response, Robert Simmons of Facebook writes:

"Secretly unannounced"? While a phrase like that is redundant and nonsensical, I have to ask what is secret about a formal executive order that is published on the White House's website. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...RJrreM.twitter
    The order forms a committee to oversee and ensure effective dissemination of emergency broadcasting, and does not contain any wording that allows the president to "shut down all communications systems upon his request."
    Additionally, how can a sensationalist paraphrasing of an RT article reporting on an executive order signed one year ago be filed under "top news" other than as an attempt to take advantage of recent controversy? I'm not one to defend the establishment, but for the sake of respectable journalism, this is a very deceptive and lazy article."
    Thank you for that, good sir! I had a feeling this felt off, it seems it was indeed, quite off. Obviously things are still not rainbows, peaches, and gardens, but hey, we don't know all the secrets. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Fascism always arrived to thunderous cheers, and the silencing of it's critics.
    I can see literally nobody cheering thunderously to this. Or anything thats happened in the last month or so with prism being leaked, spying on embassies, US intimidating other countries and forcing a sovereign president to land, and now this.

Wasn't "total control of all communications" literally the final stage in every slippery slope argument about this whole privacy thing. Well it just became a reality.
    So clearly then, this cannot be facism.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    It is supposed to stand for freedom, true, freedom, more or less unhindered, and unlimited possibilities with how you can live, work, etc.

Obviously things aren't as they were back in, oh say, was it the 50s where we did so well? Maybe the 60s?
    This is a joke, right?

I mean the 50s and 60s were the most controlled and conspiracy-prone decades in American history outside of the last two.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    And, point of fact, there has been a net gain in terms of civil liberties. Most of the US' present problems are actually caused by their wretched love of freedom at the expense of the common good.
    Believe me, I voted for him as the lesser of two evils.

Being someone who wants to move to the UK or Norway, anyways... Canada would also be an improvement.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Believe me, I voted for him as the lesser of two evils.

Being someone who wants to move to the UK or Norway, anyways... Canada would also be an improvement.
    Then do it and cease your prattle, kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

A healthy distrust of one's government is always a good thing.

Having said that, we need some clarity on the executive order: the purpose of the order is to make clear that the government must be able to effectively communicate between branches, and to civilians for emergency preparedness for incoming disasters and for emergency response. If the government is unable to do so because public infrastructure has failed, then they are stating that private infrastructure can be used for public emergency situations. If you believe that private property should never be seized, regardless of circumstance, then that is a perfectly fine stance to take. Additionally, things like this which are not actually very controversial tend to minimize the actual civil liberty issues that have been going on in the U.S. for decades.

I'm just not convinced that this is anywhere close to the crisis that others are making it out to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    This is a joke, right?
    Sorry, I mean when we had our industrial boom and more or less the economy was doing superb. Obviously we've always been full of problems and almost always at war, however I think our current situation is not that great, obviously.

- - - Updated - - -

So... who exactly are you to say that? Also, I'm trying to get to the proper point in my life and be sure it is truly what I want. As much as I want it, I know it will be a massive culture shock, nonetheless.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahNo View Post
    A healthy distrust of one's government is always a good thing.

Having said that, we need some clarity on the executive order: the purpose of the order is to make clear that the government must be able to effectively communicate between branches, and to civilians for emergency preparedness for incoming disasters and for emergency response. If the government is unable to do so because public infrastructure has failed, then they are stating that private infrastructure can be used for public emergency situations. If you believe that private property should never be seized, regardless of circumstance, then that is a perfectly fine stance to take. Additionally, things like this which are not actually very controversial tend to minimize the actual civil liberty issues that have been going on in the U.S. for decades.

I'm just not convinced that this is anywhere close to the crisis that others are making it out to be.
    Rationality has no place in this thread, thanks.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    If Obama puts butter his toast you'd call it a secret unprecedented assault on the jelly industry so you'll understand if no one uses your outrage barometer as a guide.

I might if he campaigned on the merits of jelly over butter and repeatedly attack butter, but then all of the sudden was shown to use nothing but butter.

But I'll understand if certain ungulates decide to scream Baaaaaaah over my concerns, as that's what the seem to say to everything.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Clearly this won't go over well with people.
    The people are too busy caring whether or not Zimmerman is a racist.

15+ Year Old Account
    How this this even help anything? I would stopping all communications help? Am I the only one who thinks this would really be stupid to do?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Or you stop being hostile would be a first.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Looking at the comments, I have to ask: why wasn't this an issue a year ago when it actually happened and was available for the public to see?
    The agreements with telecoms linked in the article go back as far as 1999...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Just read it as "Leave Barry alone".
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rationality has no place in this thread, thanks.
    This article sites telecom agreements from 1999, as justification of their conclusion on Obama's intent.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have much tolerance for the paranoid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just read it as "Leave Barry alone".
    The article sites agreements began with Clinton in 1999. This is more a kin to leaving Clinton, Bush and Obama alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have much tolerance for rude people. So please, save yourself some dignity.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    I have my doubts that this is entirely true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forgive me. I never asked to have a legitimate anxiety problem. To the level of documented. =/

I'm sorry we can't all fit your perfect view for the human race, oh great one.
    "A flower.