Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think an item squish should happen soon. It doesn't really make any difference if you think about it, but just the way it feels is kind of off. Damage being so high feels kind f cheesy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it incredibly sad that some people still think this is something that actually needs to have developer time/money spent on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    I find it incredibly sad that some people still think this is something that actually needs to have developer time/money spent on it.
    Some people, like Blizzard? And they already worked out the squish system before MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Koji2k11 View Post
    i think most ppl are scared of 3 numbers >_>
    Large numbers killed my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    There is something called the subitizing limit, which is about 4. It's the number of objects the brain can determine quickly at a glance when they are flashed briefly. T
    I was mostly making a tongue in cheek comment there.

I personally don't care what the numbers are, big numbers, small numbers, doesn't really make a difference. When I play, I'm mashing buttons, not doing math equations in my head to determine if the boss is going to die. A 100,000 hit feels just as good as a 100 hit. But I do personally like the biiger numbers. I like seeing 1,200,000 executes. Just like I enjoyed seeing 5,000 executes.

It's just a number. At the end of the day we all look at our WoL or Skada\Recount to determine what we did right or wrong. Boss fights seem to be pretty much the same time as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I don't want my character to feel like hes going super sayan 4654644165165 with those big numbers. I don't care about the actual numbers displayed, I care about how they represent my character in the world of warcraft and feeling like a god ingame isn't how it is supposed to be.
    But what if WoW started out where you did 1 million damaging hits in Vanilla ? I think it's mostly about adjusting to change. People who remember max health being 5k, sure it seems weird having 300K. Every Xpac I look back and think "WoW, I use to only have 30K health how did I ever survive?" Guess I just adapt to change better.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-07-14 at 12:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarange View Post
    I like how some say they want big numbers on the screen, yet downloads addons that adds M´s and K´s at the end.
    How is that big numbers? I know its still high, but on the screen youll see 100k or 1,2M. I, for one, want to see all of my dmg.
    Its kinda wierd saying you want big number on the screen, but really you dont?
    1,2M is a big number, whats your point?

So, how are people getting more than six digits which aren't too high? When you start reguralry hit more than 1 million, then it starts to be imo.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    How is it any different if you do 1k dmg/attack vs a mob with 10k hp instead of doing 10k dmg/attack vs a mob with 100k hp? Why is the first option better? You still need the same amount of spells to kill the mob.
    True, but mmo-rpg's rely on characters gaining strength true progression.
    Sure, on a equal lvl mob nothing changed but the same mob that took 10hits earlier now gets oneshot.
    And within an expansion we see the same concept, early lvl85 questmobs are now decimated within 2 attacks while it took you ~10 to do so while lvling up.
    That powergain, either through gear or levels, is an mmo basic, even if its meaningless to some.

It's not about the size, it's about the scaling. I'm not sure why people are so slow to grasp this.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

The problem with the item squish right now, is that a large majority of people who play video games have very little knowledge of mathematics, psychology, science, and computing.

Until it becomes a problem large enough that a person of average intelligence can comprehend, the squish will be put off. This is why it seems the squish isn't very popular now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    I was saying this back when Cataclysm launched. Health pools, damage numbers, stat numbers on gear, etc, etc were getting really high and out of control then. It's even worse now. I just think it's retarded to see a lvl 90 toon with hundreds of thousands of hit points. To me, it just makes things seem out of control and not very proportionate. There comes a point in time in video games (IMO) when you just have to say enough. I've always felt like Blizzard increased numbers way to much with each expansion, but hey, that's just me. Smaller number pools have always been easier to manage and overall, make more sense in the grand scheme of things. Things just start to seem irrelevant when they become so ludicrously high. "Oh look, I just hit that mob for 349,219 damage. Yay."
    When they didn't scale hugely between expansions (BC to WotLK) they got bitching because guilds that were well geared from BC had an advantage in Naxx.

I think giving into that bitching was a big mistake, but they've made it two expansions running now, so I don't see much hope.

How to make "K" and "M" stick out; outline color.

That's right. Make sure the outline for damage under 1k is black, 1k-1m green, and 1m> red.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    True, but mmo-rpg's rely on characters gaining strength true progression.
    Sure, on a equal lvl mob nothing changed but the same mob that took 10hits earlier now gets oneshot.
    And within an expansion we see the same concept, early lvl85 questmobs are now decimated within 2 attacks while it took you ~10 to do so while lvling up.
    That powergain, either through gear or levels, is an mmo basic, even if its meaningless to some.
    Yes, but those mobs will also have their hp reduced. So you will probably still one shot the same mobs you are one shotting right now. There might be some exceptions of course, some mobs that you are one shotting right now might require two attacks.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    "Great item squish" was supposed to fix that, but blizzard seems to give up that idea.

Eventually we can go for "mega damage" where it simply shows 145k dmg instead of 145000.
    While the MEGA DAMAGE was a funny idea, I think the squish would be a better idea. Maybe they could bring numbers down so str, int, etc are all not too far apart from 60 to 70 and 70 to 80, etc, but rather add some other kind of stat. This other stat would essentially work like hit, but basically just be a number to say like, hey, you're of the level to be fighting this thing.

The numbers back in Vanilla/TBC, and even WotLK to some extent, were so much more reasonable, seeing 1000+ of ONE stat on a piece of gear nowadays is just silly.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Eh don't even have to research subitizing to know that it makes sense. The higher the number, the more the 'meh' factor. You start to dismiss them as irrational rather than astonishingly high. In a world of Warcraft, there must be some point where things get irrational, otherwise the squish debate wouldn't even exist.. But seems like Dr. Spencer Reed paid us a visit here n he expects all to operate on his genius level of mind, doing complex math as you simultaneously DPS and abide to mechanics.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by rederoin View Post
    499~ damage/dps/hps is nothing now-a-days. so I don't really see the problem.
    Considering my guild had a 0% wipe on Lei Shen with ~120,000hp left on him, I strongly disagree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    The numbers back in Vanilla/TBC, and even WotLK to some extent, were so much more reasonable, seeing 1000+ of ONE stat on a piece of gear nowadays is just silly.
    But the only reason you think that is because you are comparing it to old gear. What you should be focusing on is how big percentage of your total stats those 1000+ int/str/sta etc. is.

Deleted
    That's it, I'm writing to Intel to tell them to lower the cpu clock speed because using the SI-system is complicated and I can't comprehend theese large numbers they've reached.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Numbers are not too high. Some people just seem to think too small so larger numbers hurt their heads.
    You don't get it at all, and throwing insults only serves to make you look foolish. But hey, if you like big numbers without understanding scaling or percentage increases then please carry on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khanis View Post
    K, dont talk to me anymore.
    Considering how much garbage you've been aggressively throwing around today, I find this amusing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    How about a new color pallet?
    White for normal, Yellow for crits (nothing new there), Blue (Darkblue-crits) for 200k+, Purple(Darkpurple-crits) for 500k+, Orange(Dark Orange-crits/gold maybe) for 1m+?
    I like this idea. You could even get some "progressive" colors : the biggest the hit, the reddest the text, something like that.
    Same with size, make weaker spells appear smaller.