Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    In Vanilla, you spammed Aimed Shot. Tranqued on a lot of bosses once you got the spell book drop. Class balance was horrible back then and Aimed Shot was powerful enough to one shot anyone when critted or if you had GM/raid weapons.

In TBC, pretty much everyone played BM or token SV for the debuff. All you did was stay in viper using Steady Shot spam and BW. The 3% buff stacked with other hunters in the group, so a lot of raids stacked 4 hunter groups, usually LWs for drums of battle/restoration, and rotated a shaman in that group for lust.

#showtooltip Steady Shot
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /cast !Auto Shot
    /castrandom [target=pettarget,exists] Kill Command
    /cast Steady Shot
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 1
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear();

thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibu View Post
    #showtooltip Steady Shot
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /cast !Auto Shot
    /castrandom [target=pettarget,exists] Kill Command
    /cast Steady Shot
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 1
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear();

thats all.
    LMAO

The 1 button Hunter macro!

Hah, that reminds me that KC used to be 10-15% of a BM hunter's dps in BC, and then along came 3.0 and nerfed it by 95%. KC literally wasn't worth the mana cost for all of WotLK.

I thought they did best in WOTLK.. marksman against a 30k hitpoint mage was a free kill 9 times out of 10. Pretty much 2 shotting peeps.

I was a rogue in Vanilla/TBC so im no expert.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

Deleted
    In early vanilla hunter was one of the best, if not the best DPSer. However, by the end of T3 only class worse then us was warlock. However, as locks were bringing Soulstones and powerful debuffs, only class which you brought 1-2 players max were hunters and it was only to have Expose Weakness (T2 8 set bonus).
    Problem was - nothing, bar auto attack, scaled. So, when you engage for the first time first boss in MC having half blue half green set, your AS hit for 189 DMG. When I was on 4HM, my AS did -> 189 DMG. Thing was - all our mana costing shots used Spell power to boost damage (that's why you have SP on our 2.5 sets - AQ). TBH, I'm not sure how did Aimed Shot worked - it might be only ability to scale with AP / weapon. All in all, after BWL, it kinda sucked to be wear forever Dragonstakler gear (8 set). Pet didn't scale at all. If I'm not mistaken, when you hit level 60, pet hit for 30-40 DMG. When you hit Nax, pet was doing the same damage. In the most fights, pet would die quite early and more or less you wouldn't even bother ressing it.
    I saw someone said 0/21/30 was a way to go, which is wrong. 20/31/0 was the most used raid specc early on (31 was a must as top talent was TSA), first 5 point in BM was taken to have imp AotH (chance to proc 20% haste), other 15 points you could allocate as you with, however 15% extra crit and 20% on pet (again, numbers might be incorrect) would be the most powerful ones. Well, if you could keep your pet alive. Later on, there was a talent in SV which increase your agility by... 25%? Not sure. In high-end gear it was the most powerful DPS-wise build from hunter PoV. However, as hunter did crappy damage, and TSA was group-wise buff (at that point buffs were group not raid wide) and, like I said, you were locked in T2, that build (20/31/0) was more or less used 'till 2.0. Only thing you wanted from SV (and drop few points from BM) was Hawk Eye (+ 6yards to range).

When 2.0 hit 40/20/1 was used as cookie-cutter. Serpent Swiftness, 35-40p BM talent gave both you and to your 20% attack speed which at that time was beyond powerful. Ofc, you always wated to get 30% more damage off your crits (15-20p in MM) and the last 1 point was dropped in 1/3 imp tracking (1% extra damage on things you track). However, as TSA was still only MM talent, there was quite some hunters who were still going for it and speccing into MM.
    I don't remember was it in TBC or later, but at one point, Readiness was switched from SV to MM talent, so every single BM specced (40/21/0) to reset BW. Later they nerfed it so text of readiness was something - Reset all hunter's abilities except BW.

At the start of TBC, hunter was quite weak. However, after nerfing haste values (melees, especially rogues were so our-of-control they all alone could outDPS the rest of the raid), and introducing ArP, I'm not sure were we top DPSers (except, ofc, legendary rogues), but we were for sure one of the best out there. Not to mention that we had one of the best DMG increase buff (+3% DMG per BM hunter in group).

PvP wise - vanilla very OP. At that time I thing only warrior's intercept was gap-closer (and it had very long CD, I think it was 5min), while in the same time we had pet, AotC (outrun anyone except rogues and druids) and range daze with in-built chance to stun. All 3 spec were quite viable in PvP. If you knew how to pull FD + trap (traps could have been used only out-of-combat), more or less it was 1v1 won battle for hunter. Problem was deadzone, where epic gearred and very skilled hunter could lost to a green mage who knew how to exploit it (blink + frost nova + follow by damage and cone of cold to keep hunter from escaping).

TBC - I didn't do much of a arena back then, but most epic balance fail in the history of WoW. We were literally walking free kills. Only viable comp was druid + scorpion as a pet and doing +30min battles where your goal was to drain mana from enemy team (scorpion had poison dot which he applied to target and healers were ending spamming dispel hoping it will choose Viper Sting and not pet's dot). As this was even less fun then it sounds, I just stopped doing PvP and turn to PvE.

I don't really remember the specifics of the rotation in vanilla but from my recollection the rotation for survival and marksman were exactly the same...

I seem to remember that the rotation consisted of:
    Aimed shot which you weaved between auto shots on cooldown and which I don't think had a cast time
    Multishot which I think had a 6 second cooldown (yes it was part of the single target dps rotation)
    Auto shot

I don't think arcane shot was even part of the rotation which made the Ahn Quirah hunter set bonus a bit useless since it gave a small boost to arcane shot damage.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2013-07-16 at 08:22 PM.

Honestly I was too young (In Middle School) at the time to really care about optimal performance, and just spent my time shooting at people in PvP. Hell, I didn't even know what a rotation was until halfway through BC.

That said, Hunters were pretty simple back then, and it likely involved lots of Arcane shots, and as a constant anti-frenzy Tranq shot spam.

Deleted
    Aimed had cast time, just not casting bar. Same for Multi-shot which, in vanilla, had 0.5sec cast.

If you had >3.0 attack speed weapon you would use Aimed, if you didn't you would use AS (but I'm not quite sure about this).

Aimed shot had a 3sec cast time, and could be cast from shadowmeld. One of the main reasons my first hunter was a NE.

Pocketful- 110 Priest- Savant - US Proudmoore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsoni View Post
    Aimed had cast time, just not casting bar. Same for Multi-shot which, in vanilla, had 0.5sec cast.

If you had >3.0 attack speed weapon you would use Aimed, if you didn't you would use AS (but I'm not quite sure about this).
    didnt multishot have a cd? and so did volley?
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Deleted
    Multi shot had both CD and casting time

For Volley I don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrun View Post
    didnt multishot have a cd? and so did volley?
    6-9 second CD on multi-hot, I think. 1 min CD on Volley.

BC hunters in PvE were great, rogues and warlocks were occasionally in a league of their own. The steady macro does sound extremely boring now but compared to most classes back in the day, it was not that bad especially since we avoided to clip with auto shots. People also forget the drum rotations and chugging Fel Mana Potions as hunters!

I enjoyed Hunter DPS in BC but my server was still on the Marksmen train, 3% buffed stacked but no one listened . I had an awful computer but I somehow got it to start working for Zul, Hyjal, BT and Sunwell. So Marksmen for raiding couldn't really work that well for me, so I ran BM simply that I can mash Steady Shot and Bestial Wrath and pray for the best.

My favorite gear moment in all of WoW, I have played a lock for the past couple years too, was looting the Archimonde's bow on like my guild's sixth or seventh kill. 3.0 weapon speed, drums + lust + whenever I used Rapid Fire and I would never have to worry about clipping = huge, soaring dps increase. Last item(s) to give that feeling was easily DBW and DFO of ICC.

10+ Year Old Account
    i also remember being forced to keep scorpid sting up on bosses for 3% miss chance, good old times >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhallows View Post
    Honestly I was too young (In Middle School) at the time to really care about optimal performance, and just spent my time shooting at people in PvP. Hell, I didn't even know what a rotation was until halfway through BC.

That said, Hunters were pretty simple back then, and it likely involved lots of Arcane shots, and as a constant anti-frenzy Tranq shot spam.
    Arcane Shot and Aimed Shot shared a 6s cooldown in vanilla, and Arcane did a flat ~189 damage regardless of weapon. Vanilla dps was weaving Aimed (6s cd) and Multi (10s cd) in-between autoshots. Arcane Shot and Serpent Sting were never used as they did awful damage-per-mana and never scaled with gear. A lot of the hunter abilities (and pets) had horrifically bad/nonexistent scaling.

WoW was my first MMO so I had a lot of fun, but if I had to play a vanilla hunter again with what I know now, I'd shoot myself.
    Last edited by Neruse; 2013-07-16 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    empty your mana bar at boss , then either autoshoot and go afk or feign death , drink to full xD
    epic times xD
    World PvP and how it stands/standed.
    World PvP isn't meant to be balanced, fair nor honorable. It's meant to be brutal, relentless, deadly.. and it's the survival of the fittest. It's a fight where everything goes and you use anything you can to survive and win. It's War.. a World of Warcraft where only the best survive!

i also remember being forced to keep scorpid sting up on bosses for 3% miss chance, good old times >.<
    I remember when Scorpid used to debuff str/agi.

Also in BC for a long time the go to pet was a scorpid for raiding. The poison damage was insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    If mages where just in raids for their mage table, hunters were there just to pull bosses to tank or kite stuff around.

- - - Updated - - -

empty your mana bar at boss , then either autoshoot and go afk or feign death , drink to full xD
    You're forgetting if you run out of ammo, run up to boss & raptor strike him to death.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...trife/advanced
    WoW: Winterstrife, Level 120 Human Paladin | ESO: Strife Valor, CP 610 Dunmer Magblade | GW2: Inquisitor Strife, Level 80 Human Renegede.

The only debuff we were allowed to apply in Vanilla was Hunter Mark, because there was a limit of 8 debuff for the whole 40 people raid. That explain why we didn't used serpent sting.

Because of Aimed shot 3 second cast interrupting autoshot, one of the best ingame weapon was this : http://www.wowhead.com/item=6315 , really.
    Last edited by Wythel; 2013-07-17 at 07:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when hunters got their revamp and BM was reintroduced with Bestial Wrath. Even the worst geared hunters could tear people apart because their pet was the only thing they needed. It was the next most fun thing to play with in PvP aside from a PoM Pyro mage (imo).