Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Epic gems for 5.4?

Sorry if this has been asked, but i poked around general, raid and profession and didnt see any answer. Epic gem cuts for next patch? Method for obtaining them? has anyone ptr seen anyting?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing blue confirmed as of right now that I have seen. I would expect there to be some epic gems within the next 2 patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

10+ Year Old Account
    Do there have to be epic gems?

There was a blue post last week where they said they felt they have already too many gems in the game (of course it was mainly meant the broad spectrum, and not simply the quality of gems, but in the end result it is the same).

And since 5.4 is supposed to be the last patch (no confirmation for 5.5) in this xpac, and no gems have been datamined yet, you can be fairly certain there won't be any epic gems this xpac.

If there will be any they'll be part of the final raid like always, however nothing has been announced or datamined until now. 5.4 is still some time away though. Besides, Blizzard themselves aren't even sure there will be a content patch between 5.4 and 6.0 so it's highly doubtable they'd push them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    There was a blue post last week where they said they fell they have already too many gems in the game (of course it was mainly meant the broad spectrum, and not simply the quality of gems, but in the end result it is the same).

And since 5.4 is supposed to be the last patch (no confirmation for 5.5) in this xpac, and no gems have been datamined yet, you can be fairly certain there won't be any epic gems this xpac.
    5.4 is no where near finished in the PTR cycle.
    They're only just starting to look at glyphs.
    Many more phases before they even start tweaking damage.

Don't be suprised if the gems get added.

There isn't much need or reason to have them honestly. I feel if we were getting them then we would have heard or seen something by now. No big deal.

No, we don't need them. It messes with the profession bonus for Jewelcrafters, and given the bad taste the last attempt at adding them left, I wouldn't be surprised if we never see them again as latter-patch content. If they get baked in from the start of an xpac so profession bonuses are balanced around them and they're not exclusive raid drops, maybe they'll make a return.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post

Don't be suprised if the gems get added.
    Well, there is already raid testing on the ptr which is usually done in the last phases of Blizzard's testing.
    But of course it is possible they add them.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    No, we don't need them. It messes with the profession bonus for Jewelcrafters, and given the bad taste the last attempt at adding them left, I wouldn't be surprised if we never see them again as latter-patch content. If they get baked in from the start of an xpac so profession bonuses are balanced around them and they're not exclusive raid drops, maybe they'll make a return.
    It also increases the bonus of Blacksmithing. I was surprised at how little they considered the impact of epic gems in Cata.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anything is possible, but it seems we would have heard something by now most likely if they were planning on adding them. I don't really see a need for them to be honest, just another gold sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    I never thought of that until now, there really is a long time to go haha. Thanks for giving me a reality check XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

there were epic gems datamined in the 5.2 ptr, they actually showed up in the wowdb ptr gem list then they dissapeared and havnt seen them since

Deleted
    As a jewelcrafter, I would love to see epic gems.

As a jewelcrafter, I would not like to see them. Blizzard did nothing to compensate JCers in Cata for the blatant nerfing to our profession perk we took with them in Dragon Soul, and the fact it made Blacksmithing far and above the best profession bonus. And given how many classes value secondary stats so highly over primary now, it would cause even more skewing, since secondary stats now get double the budget on gems, where they did not in Cata.

No reason for them, no need for them. They would have to re-balance every other profession's bonus to accommodate the difference that Blacksmithing gets from it, or make it so Blacksmithing cannot benefit from epic gems in their self-only sockets and still buff the JC gems anyways so that they have the appropriate gains over normal gems to be equal to all other profession perks.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

Quote Originally Posted by weakdots View Post
    there were epic gems datamined in the 5.2 ptr, they actually showed up in the wowdb ptr gem list then they dissapeared and havnt seen them since
    Those were the added PvP serpent eye gems. Nothing more nothing less. I think they used to be Purple, orange and green, but later changed to simply red.

With the removal of PvP resillience, I'm not sure if all of them are still in game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nohara View Post
    Those were the added PvP serpent eye gems. Nothing more nothing less. I think they used to be Purple, orange and green, but later changed to simply red.

With the removal of PvP resillience, I'm not sure if all of them are still in game.
    Nope there were entire sets of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nohara View Post

yea they were epic gems with big stats of all colors (not pvp), they werent up for long but havnt seen them since right before 5.2 came out

Deleted
    Epic gems could very possibly be reserved for 5.5.
    Easy way to stretch out the time till the next expansion a little more...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiff View Post
    It also increases the bonus of Blacksmithing. I was surprised at how little they considered the impact of epic gems in Cata.
    Maybe they should limit the BS sockets to rare gems then?