Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by darkblood14 View Post
    Returning to topic, if we include addons that are based on protected lua functions (yes using a loader to unlock them, hacking) this addon is actually a little toy. There were some awesome bot addons created in the past that could play the game for you (some private ones would actually compete with real players without too much hassle).
    Not to say this addon isn't great as an idea and as execution, but calling it the best is not even remotely close.
    First of all, there's a reason those functions are protected, and there's also a reason automating game play is against the rules, you can't consider them in contention for "best addon" when using them will get you banned.
    Thinking you are better than others because you use this addon only makes you look lazy and a bit elitist.
    That's funny, I think it's the exact opposite. Usually people that don't use Bigwigs tend to be some of the most elitist bunch in the game, and quite frankly, aren't that good. They usually die to avoidable mechanics a lot, mess up cooldown timings, and rely more heavily on their raid leader's calls (The same can be said about people with it installed, but use it as a reactionary thing like waiting for the sounds and warnings to pop up).

WA is a fantastic addon, it replaced a couple of mine on its own. It is also extremely easy to use, and just gets more powerful if you know Lua.
    Last edited by Obsession; 2013-12-14 at 10:08 AM.

The Blizzard UI falls rather short in many respects, and Auras is one of those areas where it simply is not offering enough control.
    It is extra work to identify those you need to know about, and those you do not.
    That is where even basic use of an addon can improve the UI without making decisions for you.
    Getting a far more readable display of durations or cooldowns can still allow the same decision making, but with less legwork beforehand in gathering it.

I only yesterday used it to create a buff reminder for the Timeless Isle, only while on the Isle it will pop up a line of text for each of the 3 buffs that I am missing.
    I could easily extend that any other other buffs, regional or not.
    That is a convenience tool, and while arguably not something that the default UI should support but is an example of an addon providing information without telling you how to play the game.

There is never going to be any "best" addon, but WeakAuras in the right hands is pretty damn powerful.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-12-14 at 01:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    SpellFlash and any plugin for it is pretty good.

Weakauras is too complicated for the average joe.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Yes. Literally no contest.

Yes. It is confusing for the average person.

I don't care about the average person.

Weakauras can literally do anything. Anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    Most people who say they don't feel a need to use WA just don't know how to use it.
    Yeah, because it's the only addon out there that can show DoT timers and proc notifications. Right?

All who say it's not a good addon are players who don't raid seriously, and/or have tried it and failed miserably to understand how to make something in the addon.

Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    Yeah, because it's the only addon out there that can show DoT timers and proc notifications. Right?
    It's the only one that can do that in addition to nearly everything else you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    That was its original purpose, but you are missing the bigger picture here. It is an addon that lets you write other addons. I had a weakaura that converted all of my artifact crates into tol'vir fragments, then solved the tol'vir project if it was possible by making calls through archy.

Isn't this the add-on being used to steal all of peoples gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    The addon can be used to share scripts without the need for understanding of how they work or what they contain.
    Therefore it had been abused for that purpose yes, by the sharing of scripts with a story of someone asking for help with them.
    However WeakAuras 2 has been updated to prevent all it can do, the rest now being up to blizzard.

WeakAuras was just a convenient distribution medium but is by no means the only one.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Weak Auras can (could) do anything any addon can do. Since someone can write an addon to steal people's gold, someone can write an aura to do in WA. However, people usually don't install random addons provided to them by strangers with no particular credibility whereas some apparently will use auras given to them by strangers with no particular credibility.

The main thing to know is that isn't like your e-mail being hacked...bad things can't happen to you via Weak Auras remotely. You have to actually use a malicious aura given to you by someone, just like if you installed random programs on your computer, some of them might be malware.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

When I was Hodor over on Illidan, I had a weakaura to Auto-Respond to all Non Guildie whispers with the word "Hodor."

For this reason alone, it is the best addon ever developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    It's the only one that can do that in addition to nearly everything else you want.
    no its not, i use clc info to display dots/cds/procs and such, can easily be configured to icon, bar auras and placed in a good position on your UI, the only thing is gives you extra is the use of flashy effects to monitor things. i prefer a straight up Icon to monitor for effective management.

Quote Originally Posted by gunchix View Post
    All who say it's not a good addon are players who don't raid seriously, and/or have tried it and failed miserably to understand how to make something in the addon.
    it may be a good addon but you don't need it to raid seriously there is plenty other addons that can give you what you need so its nowhere near essential for raiding.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2013-12-15 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post

it may be a good addon but you don't need it to raid seriously there is plenty other addons that can give you what you need so its nowhere near essential for raiding.
    I disagree with this. I dont know of a top 30 US guild that doesnt use WeakAuras EXTENSIVELY. I've been in several top 30 guilds and every one of them used literally hundreds of WeakAuras for things from When to get away from people/the raid all the way to CD rotations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    I disagree with this. I dont know of a top 30 US guild that doesnt use WeakAuras EXTENSIVELY. I've been in several top 30 guilds and every one of them used literally hundreds of WeakAuras for things from When to get away from people/the raid all the way to CD rotations.
    That means that it's effective and probably convenient, but that's not the same thing as being necessary. It might possibly be necessary to have something that does those things, but as kenn9530 says there are other options.