Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    You reach a point where it just becomes your preferred playstyle. People will react to you differently based on the group. Some people think im a genius(Los packs, Mark targets, actually use intervene etc.) Others think i'm a noob because i only pull half of the room instead of the next 3 rooms with a healer in blues. You can't account for idiots. You can only account for your own abillities and judgements.

I have found that if you're sociable in the group and one guy starts nagging, you can probably have the others kick him and move on.

Yeah tanking randoms really sucks. You just kind of get used to the assholes or give up on it. There's a reason tank queues are usually extremely short because very few people want to put up with the constant harassment.

One time in LFR some guy harassed me for the rest of an instance because I pulled a trash pack that was patting right towards us.
    Other night in lowbie scarlet monastery people kept pulling EVERYTHING and when I asked them to stop pulling extra stuff then they blame me for pulling it. Bitch I'm halfway across the room I'm not even remotely in range of the shit you guys are pulling and I can clearly see you all pulling it.

Also thanks to blizzard's punishment system for initiating vote kicks, I can't even kick these people anymore I just have to put up with it.
    Last edited by bals; 2013-07-23 at 04:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortera View Post
    To the guy who said

'but if a dps pulls safely and the group is more than able to pull it off (which is what I see 90% of the time) I think the tanks who get butthurt that they weren't the ones to taunt that one mob while you killed it in 10 seconds is hilarious.'

You're part of the problem. There are three roles Blizzard put in this game and they didn't do it without reason. If you roll and then queue as tank, it is YOUR job to pull and hold aggro. If you rolled and queued as DPS, it is your job to DPS and avoid pulling aggro. A good DPS watches his aggro and does not pull mobs. If you want to tank, roll a tank. Stop fucking up my job.
    Actually, the goal is to finish the instance. If the tank stops between pulls picking his nose and I can solo 2 mobs safely (which is unbelievably easy and don't even need a healer in some low lvl instances) then that makes the instance go faster for all 5 people. Like I said, this is more for the tanks who are unbelievably slow, I don't always do it. But I have good intentions, I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, I mean to make the instance go faster. Now why should you take that so personally?

I tanked for 6 years and never took it personally unless the puller was doing it mindlessly and negatively affecting the other group members. If it's done in such a way that it's beneficial, people like you really need to relax. There are more positive ways to react to such things.

If you want the responsibility of pulling and controlling the pace then you should consider the pace that the rest of the group wants to go at also, not just your own. That mindset is very selfish. It's a "group" not a "I'm doing it my way and that's the only way that works so stop fucking up my job". paraphrasing you.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny, to be a tank you need to have thick skin in game and in real life. Just ignore them. If dps pulls, then let them die or pull off them. On my tank I just roll my eyes and pull the mobs off them. Letting them die would just make the run longer, and I really don't care enough to waste time letting them die.

Deleted
    I find it even worse being a healer.. DPS standing in crap, pulling on their own, tanks overpulling. It will almost always be your fault in their eyes. That is why I am only DPS on my characters at the moment

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point in the game, the tank only pulls dynamic is long gone. With the addition of heirlooms, most players who have heirlooms are very overgeared for leveling and can more or less solo the low-level dungeon/tank every mob or boss.

At level 90, I find myself pulling everything as a DPS because the tank is slow or bad. That's fine if the tank want to go about it a certain way but I'm not going to wait. Spending 30 to 45 minutes in a single dungeon is not ideal. Being a little bit overgeared for heroic dungeons makes a difference too. I can solo any level 90 heroic dungeon by myself so when I get bored and random que, I am very fast and chain pulling. Most people appreciate it/don't complain for a quick carry through a dungeon.
    In the company of thieves, liars, beggars and whores
    I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you take shit too personally, hard to believe you've been playing for 8 years

Instead of freaking out about it, you could have assumed "fat ass cow" was just a joke and told them "dont have it" when they asked you to use HOTR.

Deleted
    Healers usually aren't like that. They are punished to heal tanks getting incredible amount of damage because they can't use their abilities right, heal dps standing in the fire and if someone dies, they're blamed.
    And they're usually there, quietly healing you, not complaining.
    They have to deal with this every day. Yet it's a small chance you'll meet some jerk healer like you did in your post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon View Post
    At this point in the game, the tank only pulls dynamic is long gone. With the addition of heirlooms, most players who have heirlooms are very overgeared for leveling and can more or less solo the low-level dungeon/tank every mob or boss.

At level 90, I find myself pulling everything as a DPS because the tank is slow or bad. That's fine if the tank want to go about it a certain way but I'm not going to wait. Spending 30 to 45 minutes in a single dungeon is not ideal. Being a little bit overgeared for heroic dungeons makes a difference too. I can solo any level 90 heroic dungeon by myself so when I get bored and random que, I am very fast and chain pulling. Most people appreciate it/don't complain for a quick carry through a dungeon.
    Pissy or uncomfortable as tanks may be, I think ALL tanks need to be taking what this guy said into consideration before they get so ridiculously upset. If you want a certain level of responsibility as a tank then own it, don't be a selfish jerk who thinks you're entitled to having everyone do everything your way.

That doesn't mean DPS is always right if you're wiping, but it doesn't mean you're always right to pull slower than others may like.
    Last edited by Bombino; 2013-07-23 at 05:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon View Post
    At level 90, I find myself pulling everything as a DPS because the tank is slow or bad.
    And why is the tank slow or Bad ? Because pretty much every dungeon has been the same, Retarded DPS Pull shit and he has no real experience of being able to tank properly and is in all likelihood still learning his roll. Had DPS done their job by DPSing what the tank had pulled for the last 90 level he would have a good grounding in tank mechanics, and be at a reasonable skill level.

Although why I am bothering I will never know, because lets face it once you get into the bad habit of pulling mobs on a tank, your unlikely to ever change. This is not your fault though, this is the fault of blizzard who no longer think that it should be an instant death for DPS pulling mobs instead of the tank.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganHunter View Post
    You are right.... but I am just learning, and the game needs more tanks.... personally my only gripe with tanks really, is those that roll need on everything.

I should have just moved on, but I was so pissed.
    I can offer you this suggestion as it's been awhile since I've tanked content lower than level cap. Once you get to 90, if you tank LFR, turn instance chat off, and only communicate through tells with the other tank. Other tanks, if you're friendly to them, tend to be friendly back. Whenever I've tanked something new, another tank was always very friendly and quickly walked me through what I had to do.

Healers and DPS players that don't understand tanking but think they do will always be a huge pain in the ass, and breaking into content as a tank will always be harder than the other two roles. Much much less stress for those two roles. Even if I was terrible at them I just jumped straight into group play to learn and nobody said anything, but if you're even slightly slow as a tank or don't know the arbitrary shortcuts that are taken by impatient folks, you'll get screamed at. Just ignore them.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post
    Pissy or uncomfortable as tanks may be, I think ALL tanks need to be taking what this guy said into consideration before they get so ridiculously upset. If you want a certain level of responsibility as a tank then own it, don't be a selfish jerk who thinks you're entitled to having everyone do everything your way.

That doesn't mean DPS is always right if you're wiping, but it doesn't mean you're always right to pull slower than others may like.
    No, that guy is part of the problem. He should be ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you can get a group of friends/guildies, or you're lucky enough to get an understanding group of randoms, to hold your hand as you find your feet as a Tank (i.e. learning mechanics, learning buttons, ideal UI/setup etc.) in my experience within more than a couple of tries people just get so put off from the whole thing that they never try again.

I may try again one day, but I'm still so burned from the last time.....

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I've very rarely ever had this problem as a tank. If the dps/healers want to pull, I let them and don't taunt until they die to teach them not to pull. Works wonders. If they scream at me to hurry up, I toggle my walk/run and move even slower until they apologize

Deleted
    well, i never play dps/healer, only tank, but there is 1 reason to i only raid these days..

where are all the comunication you had before the LFD/LFR etc? back then it was awesome to tank randoms.. if there was a ninja in the party, he was pretty much doomed on that server.. so people had to be nice to get a nice response.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconblade View Post
    I just generally respond with "If you want to Tank, go for it" and watch them die. When I lvled my Tank (Warrior) some Healers are idiots and want me to speed up. The moment a mob dies I auto loot and move to the next.
    Problem is at that level a healer could easily tank the whole dungeon, actually at most levels they could.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Well there are extremes on both ends, but I think as long as people have good intentions there's nothing wrong with safely pulling a few extra. Just as there can be nothing wrong with the tank going a little slower because he's learning.

What I do think is very silly is when someone safely pulls more and then gets cussed and/or kicked, or when the tank goes a little slow and the same thing happens. That's why I said tanks should take what that guy said into consideration, learning how to play with different types of attitudes can be good for everyone, and the amount of cussing from both ends on here I think is a bit ridiculous. (don't mean you, just in the thread in general).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Although why I am bothering I will never know, because lets face it once you get into the bad habit of pulling mobs on a tank, your unlikely to ever change. This is not your fault though, this is the fault of blizzard who no longer think that it should be an instant death for DPS pulling mobs instead of the tank.
    What makes you think an impatient player won't just switch to tank spec if they are tired of playing with someone that has to feed their cat, get their children out of the tub, grab a drink, and catch a flight to japan between every pull?

Most people prefer a bad tank that pulls quickly to a terrible tank who pulls well and plays decently. Tanks are not necessary for content you outgear by 100 item levels, and people have shit to do besides sit around and wait for someone to pull.

if a 6 minute scarlet monastery run is a part of the problem i dont want to be a part of the solution

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been leveling my first tank after 7 years... I find the only thing that makes it bearable is queueing with my healer friend. That way I know my healer is competent, and I know if the DPS are asstards who run off to pull for me, they're not going to get healed.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

got 5 tanks @ level 90 poeple treat me nicely... but i am used to tanking and 4 out of 5 chars could probably solo evry hero so i run in front do my job , i tank , kill loot..

most of the time poeple want to qeue more heros.. if they did a good job and where doing dmg ( or even trying with crappy gear ) most of the time i do an other one

But as a general rule just ignore idiots in the char and play ^^
    Last edited by Uselessrouge; 2013-07-23 at 06:01 PM.